rn trying to figure out best pre med route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icurn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, i am trying to figure out the best way to prep for my application to med school. i need to take pre-req's and want to know if it would be best to do a post-bacc premed program or take the classes piece meal at a local community college or university. taking the classes one by one would be easier bc i work full time. the advantage to the post bacc pre med program though is that i would finish the classes faster and have letters of recc from the committee. some tell me that LOR's matter and some tell me it is really only the MCATs that matter. anybody have any insight to my situation??

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you posted this in the right place...? Well, do the post bacc program is my $.02.

hello all, i am trying to figure out the best way to prep for my application to med school. i need to take pre-req's and want to know if it would be best to do a post-bacc premed program or take the classes piece meal at a local community college or university. taking the classes one by one would be easier bc i work full time. the advantage to the post bacc pre med program though is that i would finish the classes faster and have letters of recc from the committee. some tell me that LOR's matter and some tell me it is really only the MCATs that matter. anybody have any insight to my situation??

Hi there:

You're going to get far more of a response if you post this in the non-trad forum-- this forum has pretty low compared to others on sdn.

To answer your question, the best thing you can do, assuming your gpa is okay (i.e. around 3.5) from undergrad, is to take the pre-reqs at your local university and not at a community college. Adcoms prefer to see the pre-reqs from a university, and if you take them from a community college, you might be at a disadvantage when you apply. Take them, and make sure that you do well in them.

You don't need to do a post-bac program unless your gpa is low, and even then I don't think you'd be able to do one unless you've completed the core requirements. Try to avoid them if you can because they are incredibly expensive and as you probably know, there are no guarantees that you're going to end up with an acceptance in your hand at the end of this grueling process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think you'd get more responses in the Non-Trad forum. Moving.