RN, want to be MD. Don't know if I can be accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pwhit181

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the SITREP:
I am 22 with fours years in the medical field. I am prior military, was a medic (joined at 17), LVN for three years in a cardiac PCU, and am three months away from graduating RN ADN. I love nursing, but I want to do more. I want to be the person to give hope to patients who are sick. I have had my fill of following physician orders, critical thinking, bedside practice, etc. My GPA is NOT good (2.8). I do have most of the sciences left to take before I can graduate. I have worked full time and been in school full time for three years. After I finish RN school, I am starting a position in a CMICU at Ochsner in New Orleans. I will be attending a 4 year university to complete a BS in biology and thereby fulfilling the prerequisites for med school. I have the drive, I have the will power, I have the desire. I want to attend USUHS and be a career military physician. Can it be done?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can do it.
the question is how much do you really want it?
take the courses you need and then study for the mcat; along the way you may change your mind
schools will probably want to know why NOT nursing anymore and is something you should be ready to answer in the app process.
Make a decision and go with it!

I want it. I have the experience in medical, I work with several cardiologists/CT surgeons who encourage it and can provide LORs. I can explain the desire for change to a T.
I'm digging deep. Working full time and trying to get straight A's will be hard but I know I can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course! You just need to work hard...and we can see that you're not afraid of hard work.

Retake all F/D/C prereqs.

Acee all course from now on, or at least 3.5+.

Do well on MCAT!

An SMP (preferably one give by a med school ) is your best bet.

Many thanks for your service to our country!

Here is the SITREP:
I am 22 with fours years in the medical field. I am prior military, was a medic (joined at 17), LVN for three years in a cardiac PCU, and am three months away from graduating RN ADN. I love nursing, but I want to do more. I want to be the person to give hope to patients who are sick. I have had my fill of following physician orders, critical thinking, bedside practice, etc. My GPA is NOT good (2.8). I do have most of the sciences left to take before I can graduate. I have worked full time and been in school full time for three years. After I finish RN school, I am starting a position in a CMICU at Ochsner in New Orleans. I will be attending a 4 year university to complete a BS in biology and thereby fulfilling the prerequisites for med school. I have the drive, I have the will power, I have the desire. I want to attend USUHS and be a career military physician. Can it be done?

Thank you, friend!
I've looked into it and this is completely doable. I've learned to balance work and school but don't have time for ECs. My friend is at Boston U med school and she says compared with her fellow matriculates, I can get in fairly easily if I complete a BS with straight A's and do well on the MCAT