RN wanting to become a dentist!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchangeRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this site. I'm a 22 year old (soon to be 23) RN in Alberta, Canada and I have been working full time for almost 6 months now in critical care. I've always wanted to be a dentist or physician, but went into nursing straight out of high school due to pressure from an ex-partner (oh, regrets) and I can't stop thinking about what life would be like if I were to follow my heart!

I've read some other similar, older threads on here but my problem is that I currently have a 2.8 undergrad GPA (I was young and stupid in my first two years of school). I am in the process of taking online courses to bring it up, but it will take me forever. I want to quit my job and go back to school full time for 1-2 years to complete my prereqs and bring up my GPA, but I don't know how to go about this. I'm not sure if I would take courses in a degree program for a couple of years or in some kind of open studies route. Even then, I'm not sure if a 3.7+ GPA is even possible if my BScN GPA will factored in.

Mostly I'm just looking for encouragement from others who have been in a similar situation or are just reading this thread! It feels so good to finally get all of this out! I'm hoping this is the start to something great. Have a great night, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this site. I'm a 22 year old (soon to be 23) RN in Alberta, Canada and I have been working full time for almost 6 months now in critical care. I've always wanted to be a dentist or physician, but went into nursing straight out of high school due to pressure from an ex-partner (oh, regrets) and I can't stop thinking about what life would be like if I were to follow my heart!
I've read some other similar, older threads on here but my problem is that I currently have a 2.8 undergrad GPA (I was young and stupid in my first two years of school). I am in the process of taking online courses to bring it up, but it will take me forever. I want to quit my job and go back to school full time for 1-2 years to complete my prereqs and bring up my GPA, but I don't know how to go about this. I'm not sure if I would take courses in a degree program for a couple of years or in some kind of open studies route. Even then, I'm not sure if a 3.7+ GPA is even possible if my BScN GPA will factored in.
Mostly I'm just looking for encouragement from others who have been in a similar situation or are just reading this thread! It feels so good to finally get all of this out! I'm hoping this is the start to something great. Have a great night, everyone!
1. Sitting on the fence may give a good vantage point, but it does not place you squarely on either side. You could start by eliminating the ambivalence.
2. You DID follow your heart on the first go-round.
3. Let's hope the online courses you are taking are not prereqs.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-prerequisites.1138351/

Last edited:
As an RN you have a lot of exposure to the MD side, you need to spend time shadowing a dentist to see if its for you