Road to Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Want2SaveLives

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first time actually posting on this site after numerous times googling some of my pre-med questions to only be led here where I typically read some great answers. I am currently a sophomore at University of Michigan on the pre-med track and within the next few weeks plan on declaring Biology as my major. I am currently taking orgo 1 this fall 2014 semester and have some questions…

1. I can take orgo 2 in the Winter semester, but would like to spend more time on it and was thinking of taking it in the spring/summer because currently I have other time demanding classes and can't spend as much time in my orgo 1 class as I would like and winter semester I will also have other time demanding classes. I heard it is looked down upon by med school admissions if you take orgo 1 or 2 over the spring/summer? Also I am kind of worried about orgo because I have heard med schools place huge emphasis on this classes grade in particular?
2. Also I know research is great for medical school, but I have not done any as of yet, so would that be better recommended to do over the spring/summer instead of taking orgo 2 in the spring and another class in the summer?
- I am attempting to be a well-rounded individual
3. Also how big do you believe clubs are for medical school applications?
4. Lastly, is a B in orgo 1 bad?

I aspire to attend the U of M's Medical School! I know I also need to start studying for the mcats soon as well. Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
This is my first time actually posting on this site after numerous times googling some of my pre-med questions to only be led here where I typically read some great answers. I am currently a sophomore at University of Michigan on the pre-med track and within the next few weeks plan on declaring Biology as my major. I am currently taking orgo 1 this fall 2014 semester and have some questions…

1. I can take orgo 2 in the Winter semester, but would like to spend more time on it and was thinking of taking it in the spring/summer because currently I have other time demanding classes and can't spend as much time in my orgo 1 class as I would like and winter semester I will also have other time demanding classes. I heard it is looked down upon by med school admissions if you take orgo 1 or 2 over the spring/summer? Also I am kind of worried about orgo because I have heard med schools place huge emphasis on this classes grade in particular?
2. Also I know research is great for medical school, but I have not done any as of yet, so would that be better recommended to do over the spring/summer instead of taking orgo 2 in the spring and another class in the summer?
- I am attempting to be a well-rounded individual
3. Also how big do you believe clubs are for medical school applications?
4. Lastly, is a B in orgo 1 bad?

I aspire to attend the U of M's Medical School! I know I also need to start studying for the mcats soon as well. Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
1) I took OChem I&II with lab over the same summer at my home institution. It was very intense and left zero time to get involved in anything else. I don't think that taking OChem II over the summer will hurt you unless you take it at a local CC. Even that won't necessarily be a problem for the vast majority of med schools, if the course provides sufficient rigor, but CCs vary widely in that respect. Many are driven to taking summer coursework in an effort to graduate on time, so you won't be alone.

OChem is considered a classic weed-out course for premeds, but provided the reset of the academic record was strong enough, I've seen even those with Cs get into med schools.

2) A summer of research at 30 hours per week is about equal to an academic year of research for 10 hours per week, productivity-wise. Either is fine. Both is better if you are aiming for a research-oriented institution. With a longer experience, one tends to take on more responsibility and get a better LOR. One is generally also allowed more leeway in fluctuating one's hours to accommodate academic requirements, down to, perhaps, just a few hours per week.

3) Clubs don't help you unless they lead to leadership or community service opportunities, except to signal special interests, which you can also do by listing Hobbies.

4) No.

1. It's important because it's a hard class. I don't think when you take it is important, but make sure to give yourself plenty of time to study.

2. Summer is a great time to do research because you can do it every day.

3. Minor unless you are a) a leader or b) are doing something awesome.

4. Not really.