Robbins Review of Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the god

the god
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Robbins Review a waste of time ? ..... I've been doing it along with Pathoma & find it to be very useful but it blows away a lot of time ..... some of the stuff I'm learning may not be HY ... I'm worried that I'm wasting my time .... I still have 8 weeks to go for exam & have to complete both Kaplan & UW....... Should I continue ..

Members don't see this ad.

Is Robbins Review a waste of time ? ..... I've been doing it along with Pathoma & find it to be very useful but it blows away a lot of time ..... some of the stuff I'm learning may not be HY ... I'm worried that I'm wasting my time .... I still have 8 weeks to go for exam & have to complete both Kaplan & UW....... Should I continue ..

I did Robbins RR questions last year and found them difficult at the time (I would score between 67-80ish% on the question blocks after having read the corresponding chapter in big Robbin's). I did these in conjunction with the University of Utah webpath questions. I would essentially alternate between these resources after finishing a particular topic during 2nd-year and in the week of study right before exams.

Moving along...

I'll be taking the Step1 this December (at the end of my third year [Australian calendar goes Jan-Nov]). At this point, I've finished ~85% of the USMLE Rx QBank, and path is definitely one of my strongest subjects. I owe that primarily to having read BRS Pathology and having done the RRR and Utah questions (although, yes, I read big Robbin's, I ironically find that that's helped me most with images, not actually with USMLE-style questions themselves). Furthermore, I've flipped back through some of the RRR questions now and they're actually not that hard conceptually, but they are more difficult in the sense that they rely on you knowing a lot more pathological descriptions and lab values to get them right. For example, they might have a lot of answer choices that will just say "anastamosing sheets of pleomorphic cells entering adjacent stroma," and expect you to know that's infiltrating carcinoma of the breast; the question stems also tend to give you LOTS of lab values without the reference ranges, forcing you to know those too. All in all, if you are <6months from the exam, I would just focus on the QBanks and FA. If you are >6months, explore Utah and RRR. RRR definitely helped me build a strong foundation. In your case, considering you are only eight weeks out, just do QBank Qs and FA.

My scores are similar after reading Kaplan LN & Pathoma 66-87% ......

I try to do the RR of Path after every section exam but it's difficult. A lot of the questions are low yield in my opinion and kind of difficult. But I think it's good if you're doing them for your course exams. I wouldn't review them solely for Step however.

Members don't see this ad :)
they are very good for your second year path course, less so for Step, specifically. If you use them with class then your life is easier come Step time for sure, though.

Just like in your case, Robbins Review of Pathology helped me a lot but it took a long time to get through it. I still haven't done the assessment exams at the very end of the book. Eight weeks out, I think your time would be better spent if you focused on the question banks. If you want, you can quickly read the question and answers without actually attempting to do them. It would take much less time and you'd still be learning a lot because the explanations are really good.