Rochester anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm hoping that perhaps some of you can help me out. I interviewed at Rochester on Nov. 17th. They said that we would get their decisions in 2 mos. at the most. Has anyone who interviewed around that same time period heard yet? Have people that have already heard back from Rochester get the news when they said it would come? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Hope!
I interviewed with Rochester in the end of October, and heard from them in the middle of December. Actually, you get a call from the Assistant Dean of Admissions.
I'm guessing because of the holiday break, they may be running a little behind schedule. So don't worry, I'm sure you'll hear from them soon!
smile.gif

good luck!

I interviewed in mid-September, was told I'd hear within 8 weeks, and heard from them in late November, a week or two later than expected. I was waitlisted, BTW :-( At least it's not a rejection ;-) I've heard from several people that Rochester calls first if you've been accepted.
I'd give them another couple of weeks, especially with the delay due to the Christmas holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of those interviewed approx. 6% are accepted on a rolling basis, 15% rejected, and 49% placed on a wait list. The class is oversubscribed by 75% around March. Rejection letters begin to go out in November tp interviewees in reject category; all rejected hear by August 15.

So does this mean that we have a good chance of getting in still if we were waitlisted?
BTW I recieved my letter 8 weeks after interview for the person inquiring.

Yes, it appears there is still hope, but whether or not you have a "good" chance is unknown. Good luck. Have you got a lucky charm you can rub?

Gower - just out of curiousity, where do you get your info from?

I interviewed December 8th and got the call that I'd been accepted a couple of weeks ago.

any opinions about the place?

The admissions office during the "briefing" really raves about Rochester. However, when I asked my interviewers, they said it's really not that different from any large town in Upstate NY. I guess the plus points (which I got from a Rochester resident) are large national chain stores. If you're looking for city life, Rochester ain't it. But if you're looking for a medium sized town, then you're in the right place.
My opinion?? After living for 8 years in Upstate NY...I WANT OUT!!!

I've lived in Rochester all my life, and it's pretty boring. The weather is very depressing (my opinion). My main interest in the U of R is that my family is here, and we're very tight. We've been going through a bit of a rough time, so I thought that I might like to stay nearby. I definitely want to leave the area for my residency, though. BTW, congrats on your acceptance. Definitely consider Rochester if you love snow and don't mind small cities. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more details about the city or my general impressions of the program.

Tara

[This message has been edited by Hope88 (edited 01-28-2001).]