Rochester, Case, UMass, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bean21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding between Rochester, Case Western, and UMass. I have a pretty extensive pros and cons list worked up, but would love to get some more feedback to help make my decision...Any advice? I am pretty torn at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

bean21 said:
I am deciding between Rochester, Case Western, and UMass. I have a pretty extensive pros and cons list worked up, but would love to get some more feedback to help make my decision...Any advice? I am pretty torn at the moment.

I interviewed at Rochester and Case. To decide between those two really depends on your personality, I think. If you prefer a laid back environment and like to learn more on your own, I would choose Case- between the pass/fail system, the video lectures, and just the feeling I got from the students there, it seemed to be the more relaxed school.

Rochester seemed like a more intensive curriculum. If you want to be more involved and learn better with more class time, and are really interested in a heavy PBL emphasis, I would go there.

I would give Rochester the edge in location. Cleveland seemed like a drab rust-belt suburb to me. Rochester was definitely nicer- at least the part where the school is. Nice kind of rural feel, even being on the edge of a city. Also, the fact that Rochester has those dorms available is definitely a plus. One commonality is that both cities get a ton of lake effect snow.

I guess you already know what the pros and cons of the two are, but my basic answer is that between Roch and Case (I don't know anything about UMass) it depends on what is most important to you- location, learning environment/curriculum, etc.

I would choose Rochester.

bean21 said:

Case is going to be the best ranked of these three (#20, I think), UMass is going to be the cheapest. All are going to have cold winters. If you have an interested in working with the underserved or doing primary care, or if your budget is tight, I would lean toward UMass. Otherwise I would personally choose CWRU.

I'd probably agree w/the other posters. You have to decide what the most important pros/cons are on your list. If you think UMass is important b/c of money, then take a close look at the numbers they handed out at interviews. UMass is not quite as cheap as you might think. Don't get me wrong - it's cheaper than most, but if you get a good financial deal from one of the other two, it may not be a very big difference in the end, especially if the other schools have more going for them in your mind.