Rochester NY anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j802002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am only in second year, but heavily leaning towards an IM residency in Rochester New York. I really want to be in the city for several reasons that I won't get into. My top choice would be the IM residency at U of R at Strong, but I'd consider the Unity Health Residency or the RGH residency as well. Anyone know any inside tips/advice for someone interested in the above.

Much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I loved the U of R (Strong Memorial) program. They are humane towards their residents -- no overnight call at all on the wards, no cross-covering, tough rotations only two weeks at a time, alternating difficult and easy rotations. Very education-oriented: teams are 1 resident, 1 intern to allow for more teaching, for example. The residents seem unusually happy. Program is always changing to respond to resident feedback. It's a smallish group, and they only rotate through Strong and through Highland, with no VA. The intimacy of the program and the settings was a plus for me. I ranked it first.

I didn't get the impression that the Strong program is terribly hard to match into, especially for a U.S. med student (but I'll let you know after match day!). The location is a big negative for many people. The other programs you mentioned are pretty much FMGs.

I don't think the location is that bad - I haven't lived there yet, but it's definitely on my list of possible places. I'd love to go back to upstate NY. (I'm a few years away from match, though). Do you know much about Strong's Research Pathway?