Rochester or SUNY Stony Brook

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Ken Young, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Ken Young

Ken Young Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello SDNers! I was wondering if there were any Univ of Rochester or SUNY Stony Brook medical students that would be able to offer any input, good or bad, about their experience at their school....program, grading/evaluation, lectures, etc. i?m not making any decisions based on money...only the school itself. I want to specialize in a surgical sub specialty. what do you think?
    also, anyone else want to give advice, it would be EXTREMELY appreciated since I am having a difficult time with this decision. Thanks for your input.

2. EW1779

EW1779 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey.....

I wrestled with this decision for a loooooooooong time....I am a NYS resident so Stony Brook would be cheaper. Honestly, I liked Rochester alot more, and it's closer to home, so that is why I chose to attend Rochester over SB. It's probably better as far as reputation goes as well. Strong Memorial is also an awesome hospital.....Rochester also has the DH curriculum which is something that only Duke has in common with it. They are both small classes (100) which was attractive as well....Ok, Ok so I guess there were more reasons why i chose Rochester.....lol.

Where are you from? what do you like/dislike about each school? Hope to have you as a classmate next year!

:D :D :D

3. Ken Young

Ken Young Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi! I?m originally from the Washington DC area, but now live in Buffalo. Both schools are great, both are similar in their costs for me. I worry that Rochester is too group oriented with studying for the first two years. Do you agree with this? Do you feel that you have enough self-study time? I?m the kind of learner that needs time by myself to wrestle with my books/notes. My last question, how is the grading and evaluation at Rochester?

4. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ken,

Although I would really like you to go to Stonybrook because I have a friend who is on the Rochester wait list, I will give you a fair answer:

I am a second year at Rochester and you can study however you want to. Noone will make you study in groups. We do have some Problem Based Learning excercises. These average about 4 hours a week -- sometimes six, sometimes none. This is an opportunity for you and seven or eight of your classmates to work through a clinical situation and apply what you are learing in your reading and in lecture. In these sessions, you will brainstorm to figure out what is going on, identify what you need to know and then go look it up. It's actually a really nice way supplement lectures.

Personally, I don't study well in groups, although have done a little here in med school. I have found PBL pretty cool

Ed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ken Young

Ken Young Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for your honest reply edmadison. Its good to hear that there is enough time for self-study there, not only small groups and pbl.