Rochester vs. Albert Einstein vs. UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dustnstars

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'd love to get people's thoughts between these 3 schools especially in terms of psychiatry, research opportunities, and diverse student body/population.

Rochester
Pros
  • Rochester has an amazing match list which makes me reassured that I can go back to California for residency even though it's competitive to get into UC residencies
  • Biopsychosocial model seems great especially for learning about psychiatry/mental illness (but PBL learning can seem annoying at times?)
  • Seems like they have an extremely diverse student body and patient population which is great because I want to specialize in urban underserved.
  • Seems like it has a lot of research opportunities especially in psychiatry and they even have a suicide research center which is rare and unique
  • Highest ranked out of these 3 schools?
Cons
  • No recorded lectures!! This is honestly a huge con especially in terms of accessibility and I hope they changed these policies during COVID
  • Such. Cold. Weather. I really hate the cold, but can also bear with it if needed. In terms of location, Albert Einstein's prob the best
  • City is isolated, tuition is high esp compared to MD/PhD
Albert Einstein
Pros
  • Similar to Rochester, the schools seems like they have a diverse student body and obviously an incredibly diverse patient population being in New York
  • Similar to Rochester, great research opportunities in psychiatry esp in the Montefiore system - could also collab with other NY schools/hospitals - v resource rich place
  • Great location, I absolutely love NYC
  • Good match list especially within NY?
Cons
  • Tuition is high esp compared to MD/PhD
  • Honestly can't think of many cons except cost?
UMass MD/PhD
Pros
  • Obviously with MD/PhD, my financial situation would be best here and I really am looking for a robust research training as a physician scientist.
  • Seems like a lot of people match to MGH which is great for psychiatry
  • Seems like there's a diverse patient population? But not sure tbh
Cons
  • Honestly, I'm most hesitant about UMass as a med school, seems not diverse at all (very white) and has less student activities within the city than the other schools. I'm afraid I'm going to learn the least at UMass compared to the other schools.
  • Location isn't the best either but prob not as bad as Rochester

Summary: UMass has best financial situation and potential for research time, but Rochester is better ranked/is a better med school and is more diverse and Albert Einstein is similarly a great med school and in an even better location. All would be fine for research but obviously UMass MD/PhD would allow me the time/resources to really invest in research compared to the other programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm personally not choosing Rochester simply because they don't have recorded lectures :(

I think the bigger question is academically / career-wise what do you want to pursue ? MD/PhD or MD. Options will flow from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think the bigger question is academically / career-wise what do you want to pursue ? MD/PhD or MD. Options will flow flow there.
I'm leaning towards an MD/PhD training but I also know that if I end up at an MD anywhere else, I'd seriously consider reapplying to the MD/PhD program at the place especially since I hear it's easier to get in once you're in. This is why I guess I'm trying to make sure I really like the med school before I consider the research just cause I feel like I'll be able to make the research work once I get there, but maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are three really good choices. Maybe comes down to where you'd rather spend the next four years. Rochester is probably the strongest but they're all pretty solid. U Mass rotations I think are pretty spread out and it's out in central MA so somewhat rural. To me it's a nice region but it's not for everyone.

If being deeply involved in research is your main goal, you should take the guaranteed MD/PhD route at UMass. By going to UMass you will not limit yourself in terms of residency opportunities, you will also have additional clout when applying as an MD/PhD. The tuition Waiver and stipend will prevent you from accumulating the typical massive medical school debt. If you're concerned about diversity, I can't speak for MD students at UMass, but the Worcester area is fairly diverse in terms of ethnic groups represented and diverse socioeconomically.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Great decision to have. I vote Albert Einstein. There is a huge opportunity cost to MD PhD and it is not the only way to get research training. Einstein in particular has amazing clinical research training not matched in most places. There are opportunities for a dedicated research year, MS clinical research or PhD clinical research, and many research opportunities all around. It’s hard to pass up free money but with the years of training cost it actually evens out. Diverse patient pop in the Bronx and great reputation to match back to Cali. Friend in the MD PhD there speaks highly of it, although you would have to apply. It’s NYC!!! Also do not do the Rochester’s weather to yourself if you can avoid it :) I think for a school like Einstein the extra cost Is worth it.

• Love
I tend to agree with above posters. If you want MD/PhD, take the sure thing at U Mass. If you want MD, I'd lean toward Einstein for location, research, and residency matching prowess.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all so so much for all your input!!! Truly am grateful for your perspectives as I continue to think through this decision! Feeling quite blessed to be in this position :) Thank you again!

Hi! I had a very similar decision last year, without the MD/PhD component. (Einstein, Rochester, UMass, Stony Brook, SUNY DS, + some others).

I ended up choosing Einstein. Super happy I did! There are major curricular changes happening here that I'd be happy to talk about if you're interested. The alternate path to MD/PhD is competitive, but, if you were strong enough to get into UMass MD/PhD I believe you won't have too much trouble. If you want to stay MD, there are a ton of great opportunities to do research (free research gap year, MS in clinical research (also free), graduate research fellowships, etc.). Fantastic labs too.

Hi! I had a very similar decision last year, without the MD/PhD component. (Einstein, Rochester, UMass, Stony Brook, SUNY DS, + some others).

I ended up choosing Einstein. Super happy I did! There are major curricular changes happening here that I'd be happy to talk about if you're interested. The alternate path to MD/PhD is competitive, but, if you were strong enough to get into UMass MD/PhD I believe you won't have too much trouble. If you want to stay MD, there are a ton of great opportunities to do research (free research gap year, MS in clinical research (also free), graduate research fellowships, etc.). Fantastic labs too.
im only interviewing for einstein, but i would love to hear what you have to say about the curricular changes that are coming!

im only interviewing for einstein, but i would love to hear what you have to say about the curricular changes that are coming!
For sure! Congrats and good luck! Here is some basic info from another post I made:

Our class is changing from a 2 year to a 1.5 year preclerkship with a study period for Step1/2 after rotations! Other schools that have done this have had great results re: student preparedness and board scores.

Here are other highlights:
-Early pairing with specialty mentors (great for those interested in competitive fields)
-Expanded elective time to do research, service, individualized learning
-Half the amount of afternoon classes (i.e. more days ending at noon)

-New courses have been added, many outdated ones removed, and others shifted (these will likely not be perceptible to you, but do make everything flow together much better). E.g. Our bulky anatomy course has been cut down and integrated into other subjects

For sure! Congrats and good luck! Here is some basic info from another post I made:

Our class is changing from a 2 year to a 1.5 year preclerkship with a study period for Step1/2 after rotations! Other schools that have done this have had great results re: student preparedness and board scores.

Here are other highlights:
-Early pairing with specialty mentors (great for those interested in competitive fields)
-Expanded elective time to do research, service, individualized learning
-Half the amount of afternoon classes (i.e. more days ending at noon)

-New courses have been added, many outdated ones removed, and others shifted (these will likely not be perceptible to you, but do make everything flow together much better). E.g. Our bulky anatomy course has been cut down and integrated into other subjects
thanks a ton!!! and do you know if this info has officially been announced anywhere? it seems on their website they are still advertising a standard 2-year preclerkship?

thanks a ton!!! and do you know if this info has officially been announced anywhere? it seems on their website they are still advertising a standard 2-year preclerkship?
Yes, you are correct. I have asked admin to put up the new info as soon as they can. Again, this was announced to us very recently. (I suspect they are putting it into pretty tables and waiting to do a big website update).

I think the first step is deciding between MD vs. MD/PhD. If you decide MD, I would say go to Einstein! I interviewed at Rochester and Einstein and got accepted to Einstein and withdrew post-interview from Rochester. I just can't deal with the lack of recorded lectures and the location. Great school besides that, but not for me!

• Love