Rochester vs Buffalo vs Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEROWANTABE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was fortunate enough to obtain multiple acceptances. Now that the excitement has worn off I realize that I have a difficult decision to make!:eek:

Your thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

I will wait until the financial packages come for my final decision of course...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I was fortunate enough to obtain multiple acceptances. Now that the excitement has worn off I realize that I have a difficult decision to make!:eek:

Your thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

I will wait until the financial packages come for my final decision of course...

Rochester MN or Rochester NY?

Good Question... University of Rochester School of Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
all three cities are different. you prob visited them for interviews - do you prefer chicago or rochester for for years? Buffalo is a good place all around academically from what I know from friends - and its prob better for your money if you are instate new york.

What were your gut feelings after you left the campuses?

Were there any pos/negs that really stood out?

Which is the best fit for YOU?

I suggest you handwrite a list of pos/negs and just force yourself to answer questions. CONGRATS btw....that is awesome.

ROCHESTER NY: Everyone was really nice but the students seemed a bit stressed out as compared to my other interviews. Also classes are all day as opposed to Buffalo and Loyola with are half day. I loved the curriculum but the cost is a killer...

BUFFALO: Great Cost. I have heard good things.

CHICAGO: As far as location this is the winner but once again the cost! I know the least about this school. I do not like that they grade on a curve. But I had a good feeling from my interview.

Anyone know more about Loyola?

I am thinking out loud here...

I don't think Loyola is the best location wise. There are several medical schools in Chicagoland and Loyola is sort of surrounded by one of the dozen suburbs. At least a solid commute if you wanted to hit the city. It isn't like UIC Chicago and to be honest, it isn't going to be like living in Chicago period.

Rochester is more urban than Loyola in my opinion, however Buffalo strikes the best balance between being a big college town, a minor city and having the good price of in-state tuition. I have friends at Buffalo and they have enjoyed it for both undergrad and medical schools. Winter is going to suck at all of these places though ;o)

ROCHESTER NY: Everyone was really nice but the students seemed a bit stressed out as compared to my other interviews. Also classes are all day as opposed to Buffalo and Loyola with are half day. I loved the curriculum but the cost is a killer...

Aw really? When did you come... maybe right before a test? We are usually seen as super low key. And classes aren't all day everyday of the week. When they are, the morning is the sciency stuff and the afternoon is clinical stuff. If you have questions, PM me!

I would go with University of Rochester, students did not seem stressed at all when I was there, probably depends on when you interview.

Other than housing affordability and transportation, I don't think location should ever be a major issue. I'm not sure how much time there is to go galavanting around a city.

Obviously URoch has the best reputation. I would go by what you personally think, not by 'what you hear', since everyone sees things differently. Also, Med students everywhere are stressed, they should be :)

Make sure you can handle the Buffalo winters. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
Don't know too much about Loyola but Rochester and Buffalo are two very underrated schools. It is probably due to their location but these two schools seem to boast a high degree of student satisfaction.

Western NY weather gets a bad rep from many people who do not know the area well or have never lived there. They simply hear others talk about how "bad" it is. As a native, I would say it is not much colder than much of the tri-state or NE area. It's just that we are prone to the lake-effect snow dump once in a while. The residents and cities prepare well for it and adjusting to the winters here is not as impossible as people make it out to be.