1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Rochester vs. Jefferson... Need Help

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by PaulaMD2010, Jul 19, 2006.

1. PaulaMD2010

PaulaMD2010 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey all

I ended up being accepted at 4 schools, none of which I liked more that
    Jefferson. I have purchased plane tickets to Philly and was planning on
    packing tomorrow. Then today Rochester called me. Rochester was my top
    choice, but all the planning is set for Jeff. Both schools are very
    different and now I'm not sure what I should do. Below is a quick
    comparison (Rochester is Second in all comparisons).

School
    Jefferson
    U of Rochester
    Class Size

Curriculum
    Lecture only (40 hours/week)
    Problem Based Learning, Lecture (10hrs avg/wk), Clinicals start first year

-more
    Teach to USMLE (multiple choice tests)
    Essay and some multiple choice (pride themselves in not teaching USMLE)

City
    Diverse, Big, and close to NY and DC
    Medium Sized city with CHEAPER rent

-mass transit
    Yes
    Not, really

-diversity
    Very diverse
    Some/Little Diversity

Clinicals
    Tons of option and in inner city
    Lots of options, but less diversity

Reputation/Rank
    50th
    30th (above UCHSC, Dartmouth, Mt Sinai, NYU)

Cost of tuition/fees

Proximity to other schools (girlfriend is applying next year)
    Tons
    None Really

As you can see both are win/win, but apples and oranges at the same time. Let me know what you know beyond the above, and your general feelings. If you have any additional insights please post. I was really looking forward to living in a city (I have never lived in one before), but Rochester has always been my top choice. I was also looking for insight on how you think it would affect residency placement. Also thought it may be easier to be top of class in Jefferson with easy multiple choice and lower entering undergrad gpa, but at Rochester I will be more interested and excited by class. Hope to here from you by Friday, that is when I need to call them. Thanks, as always.

Paula

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    go where u wanan go. seems like you really have your heart set on jefferson.. but we all know Rochester is a much "better" school with respect to ranks..

just remember, no matter what school u go to you'll be gettin a good education :thumbup:

damn touch choice. congratulations on all your acceptances woo!

---EDIT whoa i totally misread ur last paragraph. lokos like u got ur heart set on ROCHESTER!!!!!!!!

4. Whichdoctor

Whichdoctor We Don't Want YOU!
    2+ Year Member

I would go with Rochester. Frankly, from everything you've listed it would be an easy choice for me. I like the problem based learning approach rather than strictly lecture. Better ranking, lower cost of living, etc. Most importantly, I can tell by your comments you'd rather be at Rochester.

The last minute switch will cause some logistical issues. But those are short term and you'll deal with them and it'll be over. Go with your first choice and don't have any regrets for the next four years.

I'm still hoping to get off a waitlist at Drexel. I wish I had your problem! Good luck in whatever you decide.

Let us know what you decide.

5. ParvatiP

ParvatiP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If Rochester has been your top choice from the beginning, then I would go there.
    In terms of weighing out your options, pick the factors that are most important to you (the top 3 or 4) and use those to make your decisions rather than comparing the whole list of factors you mentioned.
    Either way, you will be going to an awesome school. Congrats!

6. PaulaMD2010

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    bump... only have til Friday at 5pm. More comments please.

7. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd choose Jefferson, personally. My mentor and several other doctors I feel are outstanding people & physicians went there. All got top residencies in their specialty.

You don't say much about why Rochester was always your top choice and if that changed or if it still is now. If it still is, then go there!!

8. strawberryfield

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Go w/ Rochester if that's your 1st choice, plans for Jefferson can be remade!!! Good luck! You are very fortunate to have this choice!!! :luck:

9. PaulaMD2010

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Orthodoc 40 said
    "You don't say much about why Rochester was always your top choice and if that changed or if it still is now. If it still is, then go there!!"

Rochester is my top choice because I grew up in upstate new york and have since moved away. I always wanted to go back there to live and Rochester is a great choice if you want to be a doc and practice at a teaching hospital. Also, Rochester has a PBL curriculum which I absolutely love. The downside is You have to attend at Rochester, where at Jeff you can sleep in or ditch and get caught up on your own. For me Rochester will be more interesting course work, while Jeff will be more interesting city life and 3rd and 4th year rotaions. Really struggling, as they are so different.

10. PaulaMD2010

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My hopes are to work in clincal faculty at a teaching hospital, possibly Rochester, if that effects anyones thoughts.

11. dr2b - tara

dr2b - tara Member
    2+ Year Member

i'd pick rochester (mostly cause i did when faced with a similar choice)

btw - look at the 200 east ave apartments. they are very nice (a little pricey for the area) but worth it

12. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well it sounds like you'd like to go to Rochester more.
    Though you could go to Jefferson for the reasons you have here, and plan to do your residency work in Rochester, where you want to return. Then you'd get a chance to do both. Good luck deciding! You're lucky to have a great choice!

13. MDMAMA

MDMAMA Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Go where you think you will be happiest. You can go with a suitcase and get settled later. Lots of people make last minute plans and in a month or two you will have forgotten everything except how happy you are to be where you wanted to be.

14. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd go to Rochester; so what if switching schools in the last few weeks of your summer causes you a couple of days/weeks of headache-- if you'd be happier at Rochester, then it is definitely the better school for you. Overall, it's probably going to be cheaper (I'm assuming that living in Philly is pretty pricey), and your girlfriend can always apply there next year.

15. PaulaMD2010

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone go to Jefferson and want to put in their 2 cents on what makes Jeff great???

Anything I haven't mentioned that I should be thinking of???

16. Whichdoctor

2+ Year Member

Ok, after reading what you and the other folks have added, let me try to sum up the main considerations for each

Rochester
    You grew up in upstate new york

You always wanted to go back there to live

You'll be a lot closer to family and friends

Rochester is a great choice if you want practice at a teaching hospital.

Rochester has a PBL curriculum which you absolutely love

Rochester has better ranking

Rochester has lower tuition

Rochester will be more interesting course work

You have to attend at Rochester (where at Jeff you can sleep in or ditch and get caught up on your own)

Jefferson
    Jeff will be more interesting city life

Can skip classes at Jefferson and catch up on your own

Perhaps more/better clinical options

This would be a no brainer for me. Philly may be more "interesting" than Rochester, but you'll be so busy with school that that's probably not an important factor. And, being able to skip classes hardly seems like the basis for selecting a medical school. The only advantage Jefferson seems to have in your mind is the possibility of better/more clinical rotations. Not unimportant, but clearly outweighed by Rochester's advantages.

Just my (additional) two cents.

17. Whichdoctor

2+ Year Member

OK ... two more cents (I guess that makes six now)

Something you only mentioned in passing is the difference in class size. Jefferson's class is BIG. It is roughly two and a half times the size of Rochester's. Combine that with the lecture style of instruction and it conjures up memories of those huge lecture hall introductory level courses we all suffered through as freshmen in college.

18. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd still personally choose Jefferson, for reasons I stated previously. But that's me. Jeff is one of my top choices.

It seems like YOU should choose Rochester since it sounds like it is still your first choice! Which is great!

Maybe if you go to the Allo forum you can get some replies from students that are actually attending both schools. Possibly start a thread like this one, but there. Or ask people from both schools to list the pros & cons for their school.

19. zach1201

zach1201 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You shouldn't listen to a single person on this forum. What you should do is go to the school where you will be the happiest. You will be working hard regardless of the school, so being happy at the same time is the most important thing. Your happiness should outweight all of the other petty inconvieniences (i.e. having to redo all logistical plans to move to another city).

Good luck! You deserve it!

(Please note that this is your decision.)

20. aertzin

aertzin Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, zach, you kinda missed the point here. If all of this advice was unsolicited, I would agree with you. HOWEVER, the purpose of this thread was to solicit the opinion of others about the decision at hand. The OP ASKED for everyone's opinion. When they give it, your advice is not to listen to any of it. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

21. zach1201

zach1201 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Ultimately it's the OP's decision. I don't want them to make a decision they might regret based solely upon information posted.

Nothing wrong with soliciting advice. She doesn't have to solicit my advice at all.

(Didn't mean to come off as rude, just trying to make clear that it is the OP's decision. I want her to be happy!)

:luck: Paula

22. greendot

greendot SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

Not that it matters, but this year Sinai is ranked 30, Dartmouth and NYU are tied at 32, and Rochester is 36:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdrrank_brief.php

Anyway, to answer the OP's question I'd go with Rochester. Good luck with your decision.

23. PaulaMD2010

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Yup, their ratings are wierd the way they fluctate. In addition, most people say beyond Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, etc., all the ratings don't really mean a whole lot. That was really more of a side point; I knew some of the crazy SDNers :rolleyes: would mention it as the sole reason to go, if I didn't list it.

24. PaulaMD2010

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just to let you all know, as it has come up in both threads, all my immediate family is in colorado and extended in Illinois. That makes the hole proximity to family a null point.

25. wuironl

wuironl Ghostdeni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ok, so first off this is a biased respone. I got into Jefferson and Rochester. I eecide to go else where but if I were in your shoes I would go with Rochester. Awesome school, awesome students, and awesome faculty. While Jefferson might be in a better city, I honestly feel Rochester will make you a better docotr (more personal attention to students). Pm me if you have any specific questions. Good luck!

26. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, it will be easier to get flights in and out of Philly than Rochester, won't it?

27. Teee

Teee Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

if you can't make up your mind, give up both positions, "nuff said. :idea:

28. Bluemirage

Bluemirage Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It sounds like you are leaning more towards Rochester in your posts despite your respect for Jefferson. If you are still undecided by now, maybe you should call Rochester admissions and explain your dilemma and ask for another week or so to make up your mind. I'm sure they can understand. During whatever grace period they offer you, you should fly to Rochester to visit the campus one more time, talk to the students and faculty and see how you feel then. This will be the most definitive way that you can decide if you would like to attend Rochester. You are going to be stuck with your choice for the next 4 years and the education for the rest of your life. It is definitely worth the time to make the right decision for you. On the other hand, if this is not possible then judging by your posts I would cancel all your arrangements to Philly and attend Rochester. Just my opinion.

29. fleetgoddess

fleetgoddess Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think her problem with spending time to think it over is jefferson starts orientation on the 31st. I just decided to leave jefferson but as a consideration with the far away family. It will be difficult to find plane tickets from rochester. It's your choice though. I had a hard time leaving Jefferson because i had so manyplans made but i found an apartment at my new school last week and i think everything is set.

30. tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Paula, if you do decide to fly to Rochester to see the place again, a bunch of us are still here and we'd be happy to show you around :)

31. PaulaMD2010

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks all for your thoughts and opinions. I have decided to go to Rochester. Good Luck next year to all.