Rochester VS Medical College of Georgia (Harrison Scholar)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fantomfarhan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted off of waitlist to Rochester. Got my financial aid back and it'll be ~20K more expensive per year to attend Rochester than Medical College of Georgia (MCG) where I'll pay zero tuition. Rochester is understandably more prestigious, has more opportunities, and the biopsychosocial curriculum which I like, but I don't know if that increase is worth the additional 20K per year. By attending MCG, with some money saved up and parent assistance, I can virtually graduate debt free.

Any thoughts on taking on ~80K debt to graduate from Rochester versus graduating from MCG with ~0 debt? I don't mind the debt as long as there's some level of significant increase in job outlook, pay, residency match after exiting med school by choosing Rochester. This would sort of compensate for the upfront 80K debt.

Additional Info:
I'm from Georgia so will have family and brother nearby, although I don't mind living away from home as I'm at an OOS university.
Parent's finances/retirement plans are pretty bad, so graduating and being able to financially provide is important to me hence the dilemma of taking on additional debt for a potentially better outlook.
Also, recent STEP 1 changes may make the school I attend matter more for residencies, but impact of that is unclear as of yet.
Environment of both schools is exceptional, so not a selection criteria for me. Curriculum slightly better for Rochester.

Thanks for any and all help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Rochester must have given you a significant scholarship for you to graduate with that much debt.

The thing that scares me about upstate is the winters and the fact that school has traditionally been mandatory attendance without recordings.

Reactions: 1 user