rock or DOc?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by lebowski, Jul 4, 2000.

1. lebowski

lebowski New Member

I've been out of school for almost 6 years. No degree, but ready to go back and get things done. If I can remember, I had 2 consecutive Ds in chem I & II. I was 19 and was more concerned with drinking beer than chem. Re-take both? or just come up with a good explanation. I also have to decide if I should quit playing music to persue this. I want to be a DO more than anything, but obligations to my band are holding me down. It's funny, I work with a DO radiologist and he is jealous of my lifestyle (touring, radio play, video). I would gladly trade places with him. Retake chem or no?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Retake...and pull back a little on the band. The reason that I say retake is that you will need general chem as a foundation to build on in your other chemistry/biology courses...You would be setting yourself up for failure by walking into orgo without being adequately prepared.

Sounds like you need to prioritize though...what is more important..medicine or the band?

4. lebowski

lebowski New Member

I'm kinda fed up with music business in general and am considering quitting anyway. I took orgo I and got a C. I know that is not impressive but better than a D. I found orgo easier than general chem. I just didn't concentrate back then. My other grades are mediocre but this is a good time to bring my GPA up. I work in a rad. dept., access to books, films, I watch UGI and other flouro studies at work and have a DO to shadow and write me a good recommendation letter. My grades are the only thing I'm worried about right now but I know I can improve that.

thanks for the tips...

5. Robb1818

Robb1818 Member

Wow Lebowski, you seem to be in the same situation that i was a few years ago. Almost exactly. Email me and i'll let you know what i did.

------------------
    Carpe Diem

6. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

Another reason you MUST retake those courses: med schools require a C or better in their lists of prereqs, and at least one of those is a prereq. Take them both and rock them hard core.

7. kundun

kundun Senior Member

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...yeah, yeah, oh yeah what condition my condition was in

8. Arti

Arti Member

Lebowski:

Retaking the ORGO (and doing well) will not
    only erase those two Ds but also show admission committes your commitment to the
    medical career. You can't lose by retaking the orgo classes, but you will have to study very hard because replacing those 2Ds with 2Cs will do little for you except waste time and money.

The issue of your music can only be answered by you. If you tour 24/7, you will probably not do well in either orgo classes or medical school in general. But I have a friend going to Columbia Med. who has a band and she seems to balance everything quite succesfully. You will have to decide where your commitments lie.

Arti