rockey undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandhar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

My overall GPA 3.19
science GPA 3.24

I started my undergraduate in a nearby community college. a month or two
into the program, my mothere got diagnosed with cancer. And my rocky life
began from there. I had to cut down on the courses, because i had to take
care of her as her condition started to get worse. My dad had to work to
support the family. I had to take my mother to hospitals once or twice a
weak. I was like a home nurse to her. I did everything from giving her
medication, injections and watching her diet. Unfortunately, my school
involvement started to diminish. I did my ist year in a span of two years in
coomunity college witha overall GPA of 2.8.

Then I started my university career, My mother started to do better. (WAS
CURED). i started to focus more on school, and i got the results. My GPA in
my university career was 3.33.
Unfortunately , year into university, my mothers cancer came back and she
did not make it. I had to get a job as well to help out around the house.

My undergraduate years, is one that i will remember my entire life.
I am very interested in osteopathy medicine,
I have managed to find DO in my provine. Although he is 2 hour ferry ride
away, i keep in touch with him.
I also volunteer at hospital and as well as at preschool for children with
special needs.
I have gotten a plenty of clinical experience looking after my mother.
I am writing MCAT in april. I am confident that i will get 26 or 27 atleast.
I am very commited to becoming a DO, my goal was strengthen
further with my mothers ilness.
I know my undergraduate GPA is shaky, but the unfortunate circumstances lead
to that result.

I am very interested in your input on my situation. Should i apply, or am i
just dreaming?
I thank you for reading my email, i look forward to your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

You should definitely apply! My GPA's were just like yours and I got accepted to all of the schools I applied to, but I chose to attend NYCOM. Your life seems to be very inspiring and if you want to be a DO, you should pursue it with a passion.

I too had a "more" than rocky undergrad..believe me...and I have been accepted to 5 schools this year. I applied last year..with no success..but 3 intervierws..sharpened my skills, and by November 12, had 5 acceptances...
It's totally possible...pull up the sci gpa to at least a 3.3 and an MCAT ~26..and you should be ok...

Members don't see this ad :)
Your undergrad experience is not so much "rocky" as inspiring. You have accomplished a great deal despite all you had to overcome...Go for it!

Definitely GO FOR IT!!! To tell you the truth... my udergrad scores are worse then yours and I'm still trying. Don't know where it'll take me... but it doesn't hurt to try!

Live your dreams, that's the only way to make 'em come true.

Sandhar,

Wow, we have a lot in common. My mother died of cancer four days before I began my senior year of college. Up to that point I had provided her primary care, a responsibility that occupied my attention and had a profound negative affect on my academic performance. I emerged from the experience with a wealth of medical experience but also a science GPA that barely topped 3.0. Against the opinions of my college advisors (who said I'd never get into medical school) I pursued my dream of med school.

This year it paid off, I have 3 acceptances and a couple more interviews if I want them.

I guess my advice to you is to definitely not give up. What we've been through, however difficult, has given us a unique perspective into medicine. Take the MCAT in April and kick some @ss. A good score will not only get you far with admissions commitees, it will also show them that you can master the material and prove that your mediocre GPA was the result of your dedication to your mother, not laziness or lack of intelligence.

Above all, maintain your strength and ambition. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to email me if you want.

Take care.

-d

DEFINITELY apply you have nothing to lose and much to gain! Mostly everyone on this board is very very supportive and this becomes obvious by reading this thread. I'm sure everyone here will comprise of a great community of doctors. Keep up the good work everyone!

I believe you should go for it. Your life experience alone shows your strength of character and dedication to someone ( other than yourself). That's what being a health care professional is all about. Don't sweat your grades...I heard medical schools look at the overall package and your GPA isn't bad...it's a B average(not a "D"). I've got a 3.1 GPA and my medical school advisor is telling me to go for it.(I just need to score decent on the MCAT...I've already got the volunteer, research, etc.).
good luck!!!
"Learn to love the journey, not the destination" - Anna Quindlen (A Short Guide to a Happy Life)

All of you who posted, in my opinion, are true doctors. You will all try hard and you will all get in, because kindess and compassion just EMINATES from your replies. This is why I love DO's - you're all so damn supportive!

Don't worry, my MD bretheren - when I was getting my masters at a medical school with MD students, every one I got to know were 100% supportive, as well.

Don't forget what it takes to get you where you are going!

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]