Rocky Vista Board Scores!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Going by what is on the website the main sites are in the health one and centura health systems. Here they are:

Health one:
SkyRidge Medical Center- Community hospital without residencies and 186 beds (very small)
Medical Center of Aurora- community hospital without residencies and 346 beds (small)
Swedish Medical Center- Community hospital without residencies and 368 beds (small)
North Suburban Medical Center- community hospital without residencies and 139 beds (very small)
Rose Medical Center- community w/o residencies. 422 beds (small-medium)
St. Luke Medical Center- Community w/o residencies with 340 beds (small)

Centura:
Parker Adventist Hospital- community without residencies and 100 beds (tiny)
St.Anthony Medical Center- community w/o residenncies 150 beds (tiny)
Porter Adventist- community w/o residencies 368 beds (small)
Littleton Adventist Hospital- community w/o residencies 231 beds (tiny). ~9000 admissions per year
stmarycorwin- community, no residents- 408 licensed beds ~ 8,059 annual admissions

Looking up residencies on Freida https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/programSearchSubmitDispatch.do

I found that Rose, Swedish, and St Anthony all have FM programs, as well as the aformentioned surg, OB, IM, FM residencies at the st joes rotation sites (that are apparently pending).

A lot of the other places don't have residency programs (small rural Colorado towns) the vast majority of AMA associated residencies are in Denver, the majority being through the CU-Med school system. Their are a few others, I believe their is still a DO FM residency down south in the springs, as well as another FM program in Fort Collins that is through the AMA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looking up residencies on Freida https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/programSearchSubmitDispatch.do

I found that Rose, Swedish, and St Anthony all have FM programs, as well as the aformentioned surg, OB, IM, FM residencies at the st joes rotation sites (that are apparently pending).

A lot of the other places don't have residency programs (small rural Colorado towns) the vast majority of AMA associated residencies are in Denver, the majority being through the CU-Med school system. Their are a few others, I believe their is still a DO FM residency down south in the springs, as well as another FM program up here in Fort Collins that is through the AMA.

Having an FM residency is not the same as having a broad range of residencies in the hospital. You will have no residents in anything except FM- most of which is not inpatient.

Having an FM residency is not the same as having a broad range of residencies in the hospital. You will have no residents in anything except FM- most of which is not inpatient.

I agree, but I don't believe that rotating at sites without a wide variety of residencies will be a problem unique to rvucom. Most DO schools rotate at sites that are not associated with a large academic center thus not many residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, but I don't believe that rotating at sites without a wide variety of residencies will be a problem unique to rvucom. Most DO schools rotate at sites that are not associated with a large academic center thus not many residencies.

You're making a the claim, so back it up; name a few schools that have this problem.

Are any of those hospital DO hospitals? How are the students getting their OMM training?

Deleted original post.

It seems that my post deeply agitated many people at my school and I feel I should remove this post out of professional courtesy.

Last edited:
You're making a the claim, so back it up; name a few schools that have this problem.

LMU-DCOM, most of their rotation sites are not academic centers, definitely a rural focused medical program (like rvu is painting itself), main place for IM/SURG is in Memphis I believe >?

ATSU-MESA not associated with a major academic center, rotation sites are not in AZ, mostly outpatient community health hospitals around the country. Again another primary care rural health oriented school.

Sorry for just two examples if you want more I will get more. There are no "DO Hospitals" in Denver, I cant think of 1 west of the Mississippi to be honest. I would assume that they learn OMM in class like every other osteopathic school.

I should also say that I don't view these as a negative, I am interested in rural healthcare and am applying to both of these schools because I believe they have great rural health programs.

Last edited:
There are no "DO Hospitals" in Denver, I cant think of 1 west of the Mississippi to be honest. I would assume that they learn OMM in class like every other osteopathic school.

:eek:

C'mon man. There are plenty of osteopathic hospitals west of the Mississippi. And believe it or not, OMM is a clinical competency you learn while rotating. You can't just learn it 1st and second year and then be done with it if you expect to integrate it into a practice. You're obviously getting all of the information you have mentioned in this thread from google searches 3 minutes before you post. You are trying to prove a preconceived argument by evidence that may or may not be there.

I really hate to use the 'pre-med' label here, because I'm not a fan of telling people they aren't informed, but you have a serious lack of perspective. It's great if you are interested in rural med and are a fan of this school, but a lot of what you have posted in this thread is very flimsy.

Just because there are other schools that don't have core sites at larger institutions doesn't mean it's OK.. There should be opportunities to rotate at larger hospitals that have inpatient residency programs for the sake of training and exposure. A lot of DO schools have a hard time getting core sites for students at these programs, but like others have said, the schools that get their students a wide variety of strong sites (rural and high caliber programs) have the best training opportunities that can fit the diverse needs within a class. RVU is just starting out, and I can't imagine how hard it must be to get sites, but you're going to be hard pressed to say that it's sites are comparable to other, more established osteopathic programs at this point in time.

This was a really interesting post. Thank you. I'm from Colorado and very interested in how RVU will fare, as this state has major problems with physician shortages (esp rural) and state funding of education. It will be decades before CO gets another med school (if ever) and RVU could potentially help alleviate this problem.

I really appreciated an opinion from an RVU student, as opposed to other peoples' hypotheses and/or judgments. It would be really great if an upperclassman would come online and talk about how the rotations are going!

Ok, I think it's time for an actual dissenting RVU student to step in. Instead of studying interstitial lung diseases I spent the last hour reading this silly thread. Some of the points made are very valid while others are just ludicrous.

Since the thread topic is board scores I will address my concerns there. The student body was told of the 2012s COMLEX scores in the monthly (irregularly) lunch sessions with the dean. The verbage he used made clear that not all scores were in and thus the high 80s pass rate was indeed excluding the bottom 15% of the class. I noticed this the day he said it. The fact that he has not come out and given the complete pass rate now that scores are all in makes me a bit leery. This guy (Dubin) is a lawyer as well as an allergist and his word-play and sneakiness shows it. He knows when to keep quiet.

As for my class (2013) our test averages clearly show how little people understand things. Our first test of the year covered renal physiology and had a 64% average. I think part of that was due to the fact that they gave us a pure physiology test with only 75 seconds per question. Many of our others tests have low to mid 70s for averages though. Even speaking to my fellow-classmates outside of the lecture hall I hear how little is remembered.

It seems to me that independent study is what makes the great students, but the average or lower ranked students need a faculty that can guide them. Our faculty is severely lacking and I know that our reputation in the community is what hurts us. We have about 4 spectacular educators with several people either fresh out of post-doc or complete fools who can't even cut it at a community college. Having spoken to Dr. Buck (one of the spectacular ones) about this he told me that when seeking a neuroanatomist he gave a few interviews with highly competitive offers going to several of them, and not one accepted. What we have hired lately are a lot of fresh post-docs and some highly incompetent teachers who basically read the textbook the week before us and then try to teach it.

I feel very confident that my class will have very poor board scores because the students who need guidance can't get it here because the reputation that is discussed in all of the posts above has driven any decent new potential faculty away.

With all of this, our best students won't have a hard time matching into residencies because they are good students and faculty doesn't matter for that portion, but I sympathize with the bottom of our class who walk around each day seeming very angry and frustrated; lately some seem overly inebriated.

:eek:

C'mon man. There are plenty of osteopathic hospitals west of the Mississippi. And believe it or not, OMM is a clinical competency you learn while rotating. You can't just learn it 1st and second year and then be done with it if you expect to integrate it into a practice. You're obviously getting all of the information you have mentioned in this thread from google searches 3 minutes before you post. You are trying to prove a preconceived argument by evidence that may or may not be there.

I really hate to use the 'pre-med' label here, because I'm not a fan of telling people they aren't informed, but you have a serious lack of perspective. It's great if you are interested in rural med and are a fan of this school, but a lot of what you have posted in this thread is very flimsy.

Just because there are other schools that don't have core sites at larger institutions doesn't mean it's OK.. There should be opportunities to rotate at larger hospitals that have inpatient residency programs for the sake of training and exposure. A lot of DO schools have a hard time getting core sites for students at these programs, but like others have said, the schools that get their students a wide variety of strong sites (rural and high caliber programs) have the best training opportunities that can fit the diverse needs within a class. RVU is just starting out, and I can't imagine how hard it must be to get sites, but you're going to be hard pressed to say that it's sites are comparable to other, more established osteopathic programs at this point in time.

I agree with you I am a "pre-med" and am probably not as well informed about rotation sites and osteopathic schools as you, and or most osteopathic med students. I do live in Colorado and can speak better about the college funding/RVU situation then most people, including the allopathic med students that are posting here. To say I am a "fan" of RVU isn't really correct, its simply the closest osteopathic option to me. Your right their are osteopathic hospitals west of the Mississippi, admittedly bad geography point to use should have said western/south western united states, which I believe there are some but most are definitely midwest/east, to the best of my knowledge their are none here in Denver/the osteopathic residencies that were here were shut down.

Last edited:
I agree with you I am a "pre-med" and am probably not as well informed about rotation sites and osteopathic schools as you, and or most osteopathic med students. I do live in Colorado and can speak better about the college funding/RVU situation then most people, including the allopathic med students that are posting here. To say I am a "fan" of RVU isn't really correct, its simply the closest osteopathic option to me. Your right their are osteopathic hospitals west of the Mississippi, admittedly bad geography point to use should have said western/south western united states, which I believe there are some but most are definitely midwest/east, to the best of my knowledge their are none here in Denver/the osteopathic residencies that were here were shut down.

I am curious, how does the DO accrediting agency allow a DO school to open when they have no way to train those DOs with OMM clinically? I was under the impression that there are usually mandatory OMM rotation in DO schools?

LMU-DCOM, most of their rotation sites are not academic centers, definitely a rural focused medical program (like rvu is painting itself), main place for IM/SURG is in Memphis I believe >?

ATSU-MESA not associated with a major academic center, rotation sites are not in AZ, mostly outpatient community health hospitals around the country. Again another primary care rural health oriented school.

Sorry for just two examples if you want more I will get more. There are no "DO Hospitals" in Denver, I cant think of 1 west of the Mississippi to be honest. I would assume that they learn OMM in class like every other osteopathic school.

I should also say that I don't view these as a negative, I am interested in rural healthcare and am applying to both of these schools because I believe they have great rural health programs.

LMU-DCOM has numerous core sites (at least 7 of the 13) that are at hospitals with residencies. They have even started a FP and ortho residency at their associated hospitals and they are working on more. Im at the memphis site. We rotate through the same system as the university of Tenn students. We attend morning report and go to conferences with the whole UT medicine team of attendings, residents, interns and med students.

Know what you are talking about before you post stuff about a certain school.

LMU-DCOM has numerous core sites (at least 7 of the 13) that are at hospitals with residencies. They have even started a FP and ortho residency at their associated hospitals and they are working on more. Im at the memphis site. We rotate through the same system as the university of Tenn students. We attend morning report and go to conferences with the whole UT medicine team of attendings, residents, interns and med students.

Know what you are talking about before you post stuff about a certain school.

I dont think what I posted was wrong. LMU is a rural focused program, and a lot of the rotation sites I see on the website are at smaller non academic hospitals (I am from East Tennessee and know/have been to most of these sites). Wasn't trying to come off like I know it all, but this isn't a school I know nothing about either. I was giving an example of a school that does a lot of its rotating in non academic centers NOT bashing LMU. By all means PM me and correct me though, not being douchey, your a med student at a school I am interested in and any input you have would be appreciated.

Protoss Carrier I think they have an OMM clinic on campus that they run/rotate through...besides that I don't know/care.

And I think I am done with RVU defense/this thread.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I find this viewpoint very interesting....
However, I must point out that the comment about our test averages are a bit inaccurate. Yes, the first exam had a dismal average. The worst one our class has ever had I believe. However, the following 2 averages for that system were around 80%. The first 2 cardio tests had averages of over 80%. The third one had an average of 73%.
Our first respiratory exam had an average of 83%.
Test averages are so school specific though that you cannot use them as a measure of how good the school is. For some institutions a 70% average is the norm. For others it is not. So this is not a fair assessment of the knowledge gained by the students.
As for the incompetent teachers...Yes, some of the teachers we have are subpar. And yes this is frustrating. However, we have plenty of other great professors who are more than happy to help and pick up the slack.
I am one of the top students in my class. I'm not saying this is brag. I'm saying this because the teachers have a lot to do with it. Anytime I have a question I go and ask it. I just make sure to ask the right ones. I utilize my resources in an effective way instead of moaning and groaning about how terrible my education is.
People in the bottom of the class who are struggling and not getting the help the need have no one to blame but themselves. They would have the problems they are having at any school not just RVU. There is positively no reason to walk around angry and frustrated. They are not taking full advantage of their education and the little bit of good faculty RVU has to offer. They are complaining and whining about how hard everything is and how nothing is going their way instead of working hard.

And a side note about residencies....RVU is setting up an internal med residency in the next year or so. With plans of more to follow.

Ok, I think it's time for an actual dissenting RVU student to step in. Instead of studying interstitial lung diseases I spent the last hour reading this silly thread. Some of the points made are very valid while others are just ludicrous.

Since the thread topic is board scores I will address my concerns there. The student body was told of the 2012s COMLEX scores in the monthly (irregularly) lunch sessions with the dean. The verbage he used made clear that not all scores were in and thus the high 80s pass rate was indeed excluding the bottom 15% of the class. I noticed this the day he said it. The fact that he has not come out and given the complete pass rate now that scores are all in makes me a bit leery. This guy (Dubin) is a lawyer as well as an allergist and his word-play and sneakiness shows it. He knows when to keep quiet.

As for my class (2013) our test averages clearly show how little people understand things. Our first test of the year covered renal physiology and had a 64% average. I think part of that was due to the fact that they gave us a pure physiology test with only 75 seconds per question. Many of our others tests have low to mid 70s for averages though. Even speaking to my fellow-classmates outside of the lecture hall I hear how little is remembered.

It seems to me that independent study is what makes the great students, but the average or lower ranked students need a faculty that can guide them. Our faculty is severely lacking and I know that our reputation in the community is what hurts us. We have about 4 spectacular educators with several people either fresh out of post-doc or complete fools who can't even cut it at a community college. Having spoken to Dr. Buck (one of the spectacular ones) about this he told me that when seeking a neuroanatomist he gave a few interviews with highly competitive offers going to several of them, and not one accepted. What we have hired lately are a lot of fresh post-docs and some highly incompetent teachers who basically read the textbook the week before us and then try to teach it.

I feel very confident that my class will have very poor board scores because the students who need guidance can't get it here because the reputation that is discussed in all of the posts above has driven any decent new potential faculty away.

With all of this, our best students won't have a hard time matching into residencies because they are good students and faculty doesn't matter for that portion, but I sympathize with the bottom of our class who walk around each day seeming very angry and frustrated; lately some seem overly inebriated.

People in the bottom of the class who are struggling and not getting the help the need have no one to blame but themselves.

NO.

Any good student would be struggling if teachers don't teach correctly. The issue is not doing good or bad in school here, the issue is the quality of education.

Also, just curious, how would a school go about setting up an residency when it doesn't have its own hospital?

NO.

Any good student would be struggling if teachers don't teach correctly. The issue is not doing good or bad in school here, the issue is the quality of education.

Also, just curious, how would a school go about setting up an residency when it doesn't have its own hospital?

I think there is only like one DO school that actually truly has a hospital, right? The programs that are set up through nearly all DO schools are at 'affiliated' hospitals. It's more of a partnership. Not sure if that answers your question.

A 3rd year is here. Not that is anything special but still.

I can't comment on board scores as while they seem to tell everyone else they don't tell us anything.

Okay so I will say rotation are based on the preceptor model and so we don't do a lot of rotating at academic institutions. The Students that have rotated at a combo academic institution and rural told me that he appreciated that in the "rural" he was able to do the things that only interns were doing in the academic facility. The preceptors model is really good for this as I got to drill holes in femurs and saw the ends of bones on my first day with my preceptor. I can't say this is indicative of all the rotations but so far I have been expected to be a participant instead of an observer.

The Rotations are also generally worked through with physican groups so an IM/FP/Anes Group will agree to take students sometimes it is a single doc in that group but I have felt welcome everywhere I went.

As for the residencies I know that a particular provider is working with the school to open up an IM residency in a hospital here. Essentially if you get a lot of the physician groups at a hospital to be willing to set up residencies the hospital tends to follow. They are also trying to open up many more residencies but are trying to time the opening as our class graduates so they don't get filled up right away or so the story goes.

Our OMM teaching is conducted monthly at the School and while lately it has been pitiful it is being addressed to get us actual lab time instead of lecture. Hope this helps Ortho done on to IM

A 3rd year is here. Not that is anything special but still.

I can't comment on board scores as while they seem to tell everyone else they don't tell us anything.

Okay so I will say rotation are based on the preceptor model and so we don't do a lot of rotating at academic institutions. The Students that have rotated at a combo academic institution and rural told me that he appreciated that in the "rural" he was able to do the things that only interns were doing in the academic facility. The preceptors model is really good for this as I got to drill holes in femurs and saw the ends of bones on my first day with my preceptor. I can't say this is indicative of all the rotations but so far I have been expected to be a participant instead of an observer.

The Rotations are also generally worked through with physican groups so an IM/FP/Anes Group will agree to take students sometimes it is a single doc in that group but I have felt welcome everywhere I went.

As for the residencies I know that a particular provider is working with the school to open up an IM residency in a hospital here. Essentially if you get a lot of the physician groups at a hospital to be willing to set up residencies the hospital tends to follow. They are also trying to open up many more residencies but are trying to time the opening as our class graduates so they don't get filled up right away or so the story goes.

Our OMM teaching is conducted monthly at the School and while lately it has been pitiful it is being addressed to get us actual lab time instead of lecture. Hope this helps Ortho done on to IM

how much inpatient medicine/surgery, etc do you guys have?

Another 3rd year from RVU...

1) We recently received an e-mail saying that the national passing average was 88%. RVU pass rate - 87%. I can tell you that we're not scraping by either. I scored about one standard deviation above the mean.

2) Rotations so far have been awesome. What libo has said about getting to do things has been absolutely my experience as well. I don't have the absolute numbers or statistics on the inpatient experiences, but I can tell you that if I asked for one, I could get it without a problem. I know that we have opportunities for inpatient medicine, pediatrics, and psych through personal experience. I'm not sure what the above post meant by inpatient surgery, but I've heard from students who have rotated through ortho surg, plastics, and trauma surg, in addition to general surgery. Btw, all of those "small" hospitals mentioned previously in this thread are pretty much all the major hospitals in the Denver Metro area.

3) What about academic centers for medicine you might ask? It's true that currently CU is really the only main sight for multiple residencies on the same hospital grounds. I personally do not like being in line behind an attending, a fellow, two residents, and four other medical students, which is why I like that the school does not set up rotations at CU hospitals (plus it's always good to respect turf), but I also realize that with growing competition for residency slots (the # of med students is increasing without a proportional increase in GME) it is becoming more of a necessity to do sub-i's and away rotations at places that do have residency programs. Our school has been very accommodating with that so far as well. Example - I am interested in the dual accredited med/peds program Geisinger Medical Center in PA. I talked with the clinical education office, and now I'm signed up for two months of inpatient IM there at the end of my third month. We also have 5 elective months set up for us at the beginning of fourth year for sub-i's and audition rotations at residency sites.

Lastly, I strongly encourage anyone who actually wants to know about RVU to call the school. Admissions would be happy to answer your questions or, if they can't, put you in touch with someone who can.

...The student body was told of the 2012s COMLEX scores in the monthly (irregularly) lunch sessions with the dean. The verbage he used made clear that not all scores were in and thus the high 80s pass rate was indeed excluding the bottom 15% of the class. I noticed this the day he said it. The fact that he has not come out and given the complete pass rate now that scores are all in makes me a bit leery. This guy (Dubin) is a lawyer as well as an allergist and his word-play and sneakiness shows it. He knows when to keep quiet.

1) We recently received an e-mail saying that the national passing average was 88%. RVU pass rate - 87%. I can tell you that we're not scraping by either. I scored about one standard deviation above the mean.

Is that pass rate including the bottom 15% of the class?

2) Rotations so far have been awesome. What libo has said about getting to do things has been absolutely my experience as well. I don't have the absolute numbers or statistics on the inpatient experiences, but I can tell you that if I asked for one, I could get it without a problem. I know that we have opportunities for inpatient medicine, pediatrics, and psych through personal experience. I'm not sure what the above post meant by inpatient surgery, but I've heard from students who have rotated through ortho surg, plastics, and trauma surg, in addition to general surgery. Btw, all of those "small" hospitals mentioned previously in this thread are pretty much all the major hospitals in the Denver Metro area.

3) What about academic centers for medicine you might ask? It's true that currently CU is really the only main sight for multiple residencies on the same hospital grounds. I personally do not like being in line behind an attending, a fellow, two residents, and four other medical students, which is why I like that the school does not set up rotations at CU hospitals (plus it's always good to respect turf), but I also realize that with growing competition for residency slots (the # of med students is increasing without a proportional increase in GME) it is becoming more of a necessity to do sub-i's and away rotations at places that do have residency programs. Our school has been very accommodating with that so far as well. Example - I am interested in the dual accredited med/peds program Geisinger Medical Center in PA. I talked with the clinical education office, and now I'm signed up for two months of inpatient IM there at the end of my third month. We also have 5 elective months set up for us at the beginning of fourth year for sub-i's and audition rotations at residency sites.

Lastly, I strongly encourage anyone who actually wants to know about RVU to call the school. Admissions would be happy to answer your questions or, if they can't, put you in touch with someone who can.

Let me ask you a question- how many months are you spending in-patient this year?

one of my attending caught me messing around on this thread today and asked what RVU is, I gave him some explaining and he was wondering too, like instate, how much inpatient stuff do you guys get.

Not those "I can have it if I sign up" inpatient medicine, but inpatient as a part of the core rotation.

one of my attending caught me messing around on this thread today and asked what RVU is, I gave him some explaining and he was wondering too, like instate, how much inpatient stuff do you guys get.

Not those "I can have it if I sign up" inpatient medicine, but inpatient as a part of the core rotation.

That's a pretty tough question to answer, since everyone's schedule is a little different. I can't answer it because I don't know about every rotation.

But, I personally will spend 8.5 months inpatient.
FP1, peds, and 1/2 OB will be outpatient.

As far as I know, we have no requirement for how many cores must be inpatient.

Each rotation is broken down into 4 week intervals.

Pedatrics x 1 (inpatient option)
Ob/Gyn x 1
Psychiatry x 1 (inpatient option)
IM x 2 (inpatient option)
Surgery x 2
FP x 2
Selectives x 2

Total = 11 months of rotations

Now for the inpatient question. Obviously family med is not an inpatient service. Surgery requires both a clinic component and a hospital component. Ob/gyn is the same way since they also perform surgeries and deliveries. Apart from that, there is no mandatory inpatient requirement that needs to be met. It is encouraged that if we are interested in any of the fields with an inpatient option, that we do an inpatient rotation.

The bad thing about this:
One might say that this is a bad thing because inpatient experiences are the best way to learn in your third and fourth years based on pathology observed and patient population seen. Obviously if someone opted out of inpatient experiences (excluding surgery and ob) then by those standards, his/her curriculum is weaker.

The good thing about this:
The student gets to taylor the curriculum to meet his/her needs. If someone knows they want to practice in a clinic setting, then he/she may get more out of minimizing inpatient experiences. Conversely, if a student doesn't want anything to do with a clinic, then this can be mostly accommodated as well. The other good thing is that we have two months of selectives. We could use this month to do a unique specialty or subspecialty, but this also gives us the option to do another month of a core rotation. For example, if I was interested in pediatrics, I could do a month of inpatient peds and then a month of outpatient in my selective month. Additionally I would like to add that outpatient does not mean that the experiences are not complex or uninteresting. On my second family med rotation (rural), I saw a person with Wegener's granulomatosis, another person with Tarui's disease (type VII glycogen storage, PFK deficiency), and A1c's of people hovering around 14.

The other good thing about the curriculum is that it fits the school's mission. One of the schools objectives is to increase the number of PCPs in the mountain west, especially rural/underserved areas. This curriculum allows students to explore that option to its fullest extent.

Lastly, from what I understand, the bottom 10% of our class was asked to wait until August to take the exam. They are likely not included in the pass rate. I would, however, be very surprised if we are the only medical school who does this.

Based on my colleague's post above, apparently we can also do some family med inpatient. I never explored this option and, thus, have no info on it.

Can my 3rd year compatriots comment on if we compensate our rotation sites ?thanks for posting guys :)