Rocky Vista University (RVU) Acquisition by Saint George University (SGU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
“SGU is the #1 provider of physicians into first-year US residencies, with 950 US residencies in 2019 to date.”

That’s not at all misleading, is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Super misleading which is despicable they are doing that in an American school rejection letter. They use that non-sense enough in their paid advertisements

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda gross they are selling Carib to DO rejects. I’m curious as to how many people would actually fall for that. I mean I’m sure they are aware of the Carib and still went DO for a reason
I sure as heck didn't fall for that. I got that email after being rejected post-interview and I was like "NOPE."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thought it was a very low move to go after rejected candidates. Especially those who may be desperate with no backup plans.

Reactions: 6 users
because outside SDN DO schools aren't a death sentence. Many people just apply regionally. Some of the smartest people in my class wanna do rural family med. Its all personal preference that gets overlooked on here
Kinda gross they are selling Carib to DO rejects. I’m curious as to how many people would actually fall for that. I mean I’m sure they are aware of the Carib and still went DO for a reason
Super misleading which is despicable they are doing that in an American school rejection letter. They use that non-sense enough in their paid advertisements
I sure as heck didn't fall for that. I got that email after being rejected post-interview and I was like "NOPE."
Thought it was a very low move to go after rejected candidates. Especially those who may be desperate with no backup plans.
Hopefully some of you will complain to COCA

Reactions: 4 users
Thought this was an interesting, albeit not surprising rejection letter.

Dear x,
Rocky Vista University (RVU) is committed to helping its candidates realize their dreams of becoming physicians. We recognize that due to our very competitive applicant pool, there are unfortunately many strong candidates who ultimately are not admitted.
While we may not have offered you a seat this year, we hope that you have found your medical school “home” for the next four years. If that is the case, we wish you the very best and you can disregard the rest of this email. If you are still open to new opportunities though, we are happy to share some exciting news with you.
St. George’s University (SGU) School of Medicine, in Grenada West Indies, one of the leading universities committed to outstanding medical and healthcare education, is offering candidates an opportunity to be considered for its MD program via a streamlined application process. Students spend their first two years in Grenada and their second two years of clinical training in the United States.
There are two ways you can express interest and find out more about this opportunity:
1 Click hereto provide SGU with your contact details.
2 Simply “reply” to this email (please include your phone number if you’d like SGU to call you).
In addition, since you have previously considered RVU, SGU willwaive your application fee and provide afast-track review and decision process.
RVU and SGU share a similar mission of providing outstanding health care education and addressing global provider shortages.

Why SGU?
• SGU is the #1 provider of physicians into first-year US residencies, with 950 US residencies in 2019 to date.1
• SGU students taking the USMLE Step 1 for the first time in 2018 achieved a 96% pass rate, on par with the average of all US medical schools.1
• 93% of eligible 2018 US students who applied for residency obtained one.2
• SGU is the 3rd largest source of licensed physicians for the current US workforce.3
• SGU has graduated more than 16,000 physicians.
• Clinical & ambulatory training in 50+ hospitals & health systems in the US.
• 75% of classes are taught in small groups of 8 or less.
With two SGU start dates (August and January), we invite you to find out moreabout this proven pathway to becoming a physician.
Sincerely,
X
Wow this is disgusting. The fact that RVU leadership would allow this marketing into their rejection letter is pitiful and shows a serious lack of character. Though I am not surprised. The amount of money these administrators are making in the name of "fixing the primary care shortage" has entirely corrupted them into political pawns who no longer give a S**T about what they do to their students. RVU's SU Dean just put in an electric charging station for his Tesla on campus because "RVU wants to market to Californians with electric cars" yet he is the only person with an electric car.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
RVU's SU Dean just put in an electric charging station for his Tesla on campus because "RVU wants to market to Californians with electric cars" yet he is the only person with an electric car.

sorely, a Flexner style report on how DO schools operate is needed! Same as happened to MD schools, it will only improve the quality of education.

Reactions: 2 users
Thought this was an interesting, albeit not surprising rejection letter.

Dear x,
Rocky Vista University (RVU) is committed to helping its candidates realize their dreams of becoming physicians. We recognize that due to our very competitive applicant pool, there are unfortunately many strong candidates who ultimately are not admitted.
While we may not have offered you a seat this year, we hope that you have found your medical school “home” for the next four years. If that is the case, we wish you the very best and you can disregard the rest of this email. If you are still open to new opportunities though, we are happy to share some exciting news with you.
St. George’s University (SGU) School of Medicine, in Grenada West Indies, one of the leading universities committed to outstanding medical and healthcare education, is offering candidates an opportunity to be considered for its MD program via a streamlined application process. Students spend their first two years in Grenada and their second two years of clinical training in the United States.
There are two ways you can express interest and find out more about this opportunity:
1 Click hereto provide SGU with your contact details.
2 Simply “reply” to this email (please include your phone number if you’d like SGU to call you).
In addition, since you have previously considered RVU, SGU willwaive your application fee and provide afast-track review and decision process.
RVU and SGU share a similar mission of providing outstanding health care education and addressing global provider shortages.

Why SGU?
• SGU is the #1 provider of physicians into first-year US residencies, with 950 US residencies in 2019 to date.1
• SGU students taking the USMLE Step 1 for the first time in 2018 achieved a 96% pass rate, on par with the average of all US medical schools.1
• 93% of eligible 2018 US students who applied for residency obtained one.2
• SGU is the 3rd largest source of licensed physicians for the current US workforce.3
• SGU has graduated more than 16,000 physicians.
• Clinical & ambulatory training in 50+ hospitals & health systems in the US.
• 75% of classes are taught in small groups of 8 or less.
With two SGU start dates (August and January), we invite you to find out moreabout this proven pathway to becoming a physician.
Sincerely,
X

This is outrageous. RVU has sunk to a new low with this.

sorely, a Flexner style report on how DO schools operate is needed! Same as happened to MD schools, it will only improve the quality of education.

The Flexner report included DO schools...

Reactions: 6 users

I think with the proliferation of branch campuses, multiple new institutions that are not invested in GME/research, etc a new Flexner-type report will emerge at some point, so long as new schools keep opening up... even if it's 20-25 years from now. Not even my idea, the admissions dean at my state MD school wants this to happen because he's dubious of the quality of many new schools.