Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anybody speak as to what rvu's most recent board score average was and what the national average was?

I am assuming you mean COMLEX. If I remember Dr. Told (the dean) correctly, he said number 2 or 3 in the country on COMLEX last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone able to comment if the Mac laptop compatibility issues are that big of a deal or can they be worked around fairly easily. I don't want to have to purchase a PC if its not that big of an issue. Thanks!

One of the student guides on my group's tour said she uses a mac with no issues.

Reactions: 1 users
i'm struggling to decide between RVU and PNWU
both are brand new in the great scheme of things...

Anyone able to comment if the Mac laptop compatibility issues are that big of a deal or can they be worked around fairly easily. I don't want to have to purchase a PC if its not that big of an issue. Thanks!
You're perfectly fine using your Mac at school. I would say 50% of the class uses Mac. The only real issue (for both Mac and PC) is to NOT auto-update to new major versions until you're told you can. Your monthly security updates are fine to install.
For example, we could not update from MacOS El Capitan to Sierra for ~2 months. Same story upgrading Windows 7/8 to 10. This is because the testing software developer takes their sweet time releasing compatible updates - and you can't take exams with incompatible OS. The school has no control over this - and the issue exists at every single school that uses ExamSoft (which is a good majority).

Reactions: 2 users
Any word on the facebook group?

Reactions: 1 user
It's paining me to do so...but I think I am declining my acceptance to RVU-SU. Loved the school so much when I went and could really see myself there, but it is just way too expensive for me to justify going there over my other options. Good luck to everyone!

Could anyone give details on clinical years? Are they preceptor based or ward based? (I think that's the other form) Others have said that the preceptor based rotations are basically just glorified shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only read through the first 10 or so pages of this forum so I apologize if my questions have already been asked:

In regards to the 80% acceptance rate, does this mean the interview less students or offer acceptance to a lot of individuals (off the waitlist)?

I just received my offer to interview in January at the Utah campus. Do you think there will still be a decent amount of seats available for this class?

II for the CO campus! Complete on the website on 11/27. Very excited, just need to do some more research on the school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've only read through the first 10 or so pages of this forum so I apologize if my questions have already been asked:

In regards to the 80% acceptance rate, does this mean the interview less students or offer acceptance to a lot of individuals (off the waitlist)?

I just received my offer to interview in January at the Utah campus. Do you think there will still be a decent amount of seats available for this class?

My impression is that they interview less students. They heavily screen applications and don't offer many interviews. Not sure if it was an indication but when I interviewed there was only 9 of us.

My impression is that they interview less students. They heavily screen applications and don't offer many interviews. Not sure if it was an indication but when I interviewed there was only 9 of us.
Wow 9?!? That's crazy. I can't decide if that makes me more or less stressed.

Has the UT campus been offering a lot of interviews? I don't see much on here about it, so I am curious. I submitted my secondary to both CO and UT. I was rejected post secondary by CO, but haven't heard a peep from UT.

Declined post secondary just now. Kind of sucks but I'm going to be a physician regardless! Best of luck to the rest of you!

Wow 9?!? That's crazy. I can't decide if that makes me more or less stressed.

Definitely be less stressed!!! It was honestly fun and I feel like we all got to know each other pretty well and sort of bonded. Maybe that was just me. If anything, being in a huge group of 30+ on interview day is way more scary!

Definitely be less stressed!!! It was honestly fun and I feel like we all got to know each other pretty well and sort of bonded. Maybe that was just me. If anything, being in a huge group of 30+ on interview day is way more scary!

I believe we were in the same group and I 100% agree! Felt a lot less like the competitive "this is your competition" feeling that I got from larger interviews, and more like a "you could all be classmates" kinda feeling

Reactions: 2 users
I agree whole heartedly with Scrubs101. @Scrubs101 is RVU-Co your number one choice?

I agree whole heartedly with Scrubs101. @Scrubs101 is RVU-Co your number one choice?

As of right now I believe so! If i get into my state school I'll probably choose that, but with my current options I'm for the most part sure I'm going with RVU-CO! I'm gonna give it a couple more days to evaluate everything though, but I'm planning on putting down my deposit pretty soon and I've already started the background check and arranged my drug test :)

Also started looking into apartments in the area and there is tons of options! Seems like there's a lot of luxury apartment complexes as well that I keep getting distracted looking at lol, anyone know around what's normal for a decent 1 bedroom?

Does RVU-SU do any sort of group interview or is it just the 30 minute session with 2 people?

Does RVU-SU do any sort of group interview or is it just the 30 minute session with 2 people?

So SU there's no group interview, but definitely a lot of time where you're sitting around with the interview group and faculty with opportunity for calm regular conversation. SU was just like CO in that they did a great job of making it stress free, and I found all of the faculty and administration was incredibly nice and down to earth. Especially the dean, he's a wonderful guy. Side note: I actually just got a call from him congratulating me, wishing me a merry Christmas, best of luck with my decision, and what not (several weeks after my acceptance). Which definitely just made my decision even harder haha, the interview was definitely a great experience and nothing to worry about let me know if you have any questions about it id love to help!

So SU there's no group interview, but definitely a lot of time where you're sitting around with the interview group and faculty with opportunity for calm regular conversation. SU was just like CO in that they did a great job of making it stress free, and I found all of the faculty and administration was incredibly nice and down to earth. Especially the dean, he's a wonderful guy. Side note: I actually just got a call from him congratulating me, wishing me a merry Christmas, best of luck with my decision, and what not (several weeks after my acceptance). Which definitely just made my decision even harder haha, the interview was definitely a great experience and nothing to worry about let me know if you have any questions about it id love to help!

It's the little things like these that I really enjoy hearing about. Utah is a beautiful state, and RVUCOM-SU just seems destined to become a great program. It just needs some time to mature and develop. However, having a well respected and already developed program (RVU-COM) behind it will quickly accelerate that process!

It's the little things like these that I really enjoy hearing about. Utah is a beautiful state, and RVUCOM-SU just seems destined to become a great program. It just needs some time to mature and develop. However, having a well respected and already developed program (RVU-COM) behind it will quickly accelerate that process!

I agree the SU site is doing an amazing job of taking off a lot of the downsides that come from going to a new school!

I agree the SU site is doing an amazing job of taking off a lot of the downsides that come from going to a new school!

Yep. Ivins is also pretty close to a lot of major cities (Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Tempe, Tuscon, SLC, etc.), which could make for some awesome rotation sites!

Another awesome program RVUCOM-SU is partaking in is involving military veterans. I personally have an Army veteran in my family who toured, and another very good friend who toured as a Marine. To quote the RVUCOM-SU website: "Every student will be assigned to a veteran to follow over the four years they are in medical school". Having the ability to build a relationship with a veteran while in medical school would be a very special opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interviewed on December 7th in Colorado and got the acceptance call today!

Accepted to RVU's Utah Campus today! (Interviewed 12/2) My number 1 choice for D.O. school!

Pulling all my other applications now. Hopefully my seat at the schools I was accepted/wait-listed at go to someone else!

I interviewed on 12/2 and was accepted too! This was my #1 as well. Have you tried to logging onto the portal to take the next steps? My admission status is still "Interview Confirmation".

I interviewed on 12/2 and was accepted too! This was my #1 as well. Have you tried to logging onto the portal to take the next steps? My admission status is still "Interview Confirmation".
I called, and they told me the portal won't be updated until later this week. Don't worry, if you got a call you were definitely accepted!

Interviewed yesterday at CO, didn't feel great about the actual interview. Everyone says it's really conversational but they have specific questions to ask that I thought were a little tough. My two interviewers were very straight faced which made me feel like my answers weren't great and I rambled!! Otherwise the day was amazing, loved the staff and students!

Just put my deposit down yesterday. Unless something drastic happens definitely will be attending here in the summer. Kind of a relief once I finally made my decision.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed yesterday at CO, didn't feel great about the actual interview. Everyone says it's really conversational but they have specific questions to ask that I thought were a little tough. My two interviewers were very straight faced which made me feel like my answers weren't great and I rambled!! Otherwise the day was amazing, loved the staff and students!

Ha, one of my classmates felt the exact same way. As we later discovered the two interviewers he had were the the two 'worst' (by worst I mean uncomfortable to interview with) people you could possibly have had at the time. He still got in though.

Don't worry! I also thought I blew my interview, but I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought lol because I still got in!

To add to the reassurance, I thought i bombed my interview too and everything turned out great :) its hard to read your own interview for sure!

Hey guys. So my physician LOR had fallen through, so I was unable to turn in my secondary. I'll be shadowing a DO next week and have a chance at a letter from then. Would it be worth it to send in my secondary 1-2 months after receiving it?
3.93 GPA 506 MCAT

Hey guys. So my physician LOR had fallen through, so I was unable to turn in my secondary. I'll be shadowing a DO next week and have a chance at a letter from then. Would it be worth it to send in my secondary 1-2 months after receiving it?
3.93 GPA 506 MCAT

As long as there is no due date on it I would say it would be worth it to try. Especially if you haven't had an acceptance yet and have the money for the secondary then I would go for it. Just my opinion though.

Any incoming students living in Denver interested in meeting up for drinks? PM me and let's get something together

These lab titers though...... Is the Hep B one that is going take the longest?

Ha, one of my classmates felt the exact same way. As we later discovered the two interviewers he had were the the two 'worst' (by worst I mean uncomfortable to interview with) people you could possibly have had at the time. He still got in though.

Don't worry! I also thought I blew my interview, but I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought lol because I still got in!

To add to the reassurance, I thought i bombed my interview too and everything turned out great :) its hard to read your own interview for sure!

Thank you all! That makes me feel much better. My interviewers were both really nice but somehow it was uncomfortable. Every other interview I've had was really relaxed and fun, so when I hard how conversational this one was I thought it would be the best, turns out it was the one I've felt the worst about haha!!

The Admissions Department makes the facebook page around January I believe. Just hang on tight 'till then.

Does anyone else have (In Progress) next to their deposit that wont go away?

I do... I love this school but honestly their website is terrible. My credit card was billed and i got a confirmation window but there is nothing on the site that actually confirms the deposit was paid and it still says "in progress next to it"

Just paid my deposit :), and I'm having this issue as well. Im assuming it is manually entered or something, also I did the photo release form through the tab with the electronic signature option and it still hasn't been uploaded. Should I do the email method instead? Also I started my background check about 2 weeks ago and that's not checked in either, I'm assuming it takes a while anyone know how long it usually takes?

Just paid my deposit :), and I'm having this issue as well. Im assuming it is manually entered or something, also I did the photo release form through the tab with the electronic signature option and it still hasn't been uploaded. Should I do the email method instead? Also I started my background check about 2 weeks ago and that's not checked in either, I'm assuming it takes a while anyone know how long it usually takes?

My deposit went in, no prob. Already checked off my pending list. My Background check is still a no show, but I did do it like two days ago. No news is good news (honestly never done anything worth a cop's time, but until it's marked as complete I feel like a fugitive). I do have to travel like 90 miles to find a testing site for the drug screen and am currently snowed in, so that will have to wait.

My deposit went in, no prob. Already checked off my pending list. My Background check is still a no show, but I did do it like two days ago. No news is good news (honestly never done anything worth a cop's time, but until it's marked as complete I feel like a fugitive). I do have to travel like 90 miles to find a testing site for the drug screen and am currently snowed in, so that will have to wait.

Did it take like a day or so for your deposit to get marked off? Im thinking maybe theyre waiting to check off the background check and drug test at the same time maybe? Idk or maybe it actually does take pretty long, but i know how you feel lol. I took my drug test the other day and luckily it was just a mile away, thats crazy that the nearest one is 90 miles away from you! Be safe out there in the snow when you finally do make the trek lol

Edit: scratch that first part my deposit is showing now!

Last edited:
Did it take like a day or so for your deposit to get marked off? Im thinking maybe theyre waiting to check off the background check and drug test at the same time maybe? Idk or maybe it actually does take pretty long, but i know how you feel lol. I took my drug test the other day and luckily it was just a mile away, thats crazy that the nearest one is 90 miles away from you! Be safe out there in the snow when you finally do make the trek lol

My deposit was marked off the same day. Perhaps they are waiting for the drug test to post the at the same time, idk.

My deposit only took a day or two to post. Am I the only one worried about these dang titers?