Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm planning on applying to RVU, but I was just curious what everyone's stats are....

Our Dean sent out an email yesterday with a variety of anouncements. This was included and it may answer your question. Good luck on y our application:

" 4) Speaking of new students, here are the stats on the matriculating class of 2016: MCAT 27.42, Science GPA 3.53, Cumulative GPA 3.56."

Members don't see this ad :)
Please just go to the first page of this ever so long 2 page thread and read the comment listing all the questions?

Thank you for your clearly condescending post. Since the comment in question states it was from last year, I was just looking to see if there were any changes.

Our Dean sent out an email yesterday with a variety of anouncements. This was included and it may answer your question. Good luck on y our application:

" 4) Speaking of new students, here are the stats on the matriculating class of 2016: MCAT 27.42, Science GPA 3.53, Cumulative GPA 3.56."

Woa those seem pretty high? Those are above the average for DO.

Do they send you an email when your app is complete?

Just wondering if any applicants or currents students here at RVUCOM could answer a couple questions. Looking at the curriculum, I do not see a single pharmacology course as listed in other school's curriculum. I assume they include the related pharmacology in each of the "system" classes, but don't see it explained in the course descriptions in the handbook. Also, what does everyone think of the "system" approach to the classes, rather than the general Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, ect approach??

Thank you so much and I hope for an interview here!!

I'm a third year at RVU (I was accepted multiple places and chose RVU), and I just don't understand how the "for profit" status still comes up as a NEGATIVE. It is SUCH a positive. We, the students are the product of a competitive business. If we fail, they fail. RVU already brags the highest board pass rates in the nation. Plus, there's none of the unnecessary red tape of a state institution. For example, the lockers we had were too small, the students brought it up, and they ripped them out and put in new ones, no problem.

RVU is going to work you to the ground, you are going to get what I think is one of the better educations possible. I simply can't understand why being a profitable business is so terrible.

My the secondary essays are horrifically too many!

My the secondary essays are horrifically too many!
Pre-write is the key. Also, I look at the more secondary essays requested the more they're trying to really get to know you so that they don't screen out someone just based on their numbers when they really have potential for being a very strong physician (remember medicine is not all about numbers, it's about your approach toward patients as well especially in our current state of affairs in the health care system). This shouldn't be taken as you shouldn't strive for excellence in classes and the like, but some schools are truly after getting to know students and building a strong class that will work together as a team.

FYI, those scores were not what the Assistant Director of Admissions directly emailed me in January. According to her:
"the average stats for those students who matriculated at RVUCOM this past year: MCAT 26.6; sGPA 3.44; cumGPA 3.5."

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, those scores were not what the Assistant Director of Admissions directly emailed me in January. According to her:
"the average stats for those students who matriculated at RVUCOM this past year: MCAT 26.6; sGPA 3.44; cumGPA 3.5."

Uh, that would be because January would have been last year's scores and July would be for the class matriculating at the end of the month!! I would hope they would not bee the same!. In fact, for the class of 2016 starting at the end of July, I would imagine the incoming gpa and mcat would be different from January to July, because it would be based on deposits, etc...

Uh, that would be because January would have been last year's scores and July would be for the class matriculating at the end of the month!! I would hope they would not bee the same!. In fact, for the class of 2016 starting at the end of July, I would imagine the incoming gpa and mcat would be different from January to July, because it would be based on deposits, etc...

Not sure why you decided to be condescending. I was simply posting data directly given to me by an administration person at Rocky V. Yes, you are correct about the scores not being for the upcoming class, sorry about that. After a 17 hour day I was a little tired and honestly didn't even consider the dates. I only noticed what you posted earlier was inconsistent with what an administrative person at the school told me first hand.

Not sure why you decided to be condescending. I was simply posting data directly given to me by an administration person at Rocky V. Yes, you are correct about the scores not being for the upcoming class, sorry about that. After a 17 hour day I was a little tired and honestly didn't even consider the dates. I only noticed what you posted earlier was inconsistent with what an administrative person at the school told me first hand.

I'm wasn't trying to be condescending, It was just that your "not considering the dates" leads one to believe they were for the same year, and they clearly are not.

No harm, no foul! I know what the 17 hour days are like, believe me!

No worries. I understand... I was trying to help but should have considered the dates.

And I'm sure you do ;)

Expressing my condolences for the shooting that happened in Aurora, CO last night. I hope none of you guys were affected by it :(

Expressing my condolences for the shooting that happened in Aurora, CO last night. I hope none of you guys were affected by it :(

Agreed! It breaks my heart to hear of these things. My prayers go out to those affected and all their families.

All of the third years here at RVU take the Advanced Disaster Life Support Course (ADLS) and get certified in it. It's required for everyone. The course includes first response in all disasters including situation like this. Last year, one of our disaster scenarios was a bombing at a move theatre with a secondary sniper/shooter and secondary bombs.

Whats weird is the ADLS course is being offered today for the new third years, just as the scene in Aurora is unfolding, and tomorrow and Sunday, there is a large mass disaster drill taking place here!!

All of the third years here at RVU take the Advanced Disaster Life Support Course (ADLS) and get certified in it. It's required for everyone. The course includes first response in all disasters including situation like this. Last year, one of our disaster scenarios was a bombing at a move theatre with a secondary sniper/shooter and secondary bombs.

Whats weird is the ADLS course is being offered today for the new third years, just as the scene in Aurora is unfolding, and tomorrow and Sunday, there is a large mass disaster drill taking place here!!
Rumor has it that the shooter withdrew from the University of Colorado Denver SOM last month. Is that true?

It truly is tragic when events like this happen. As a paramedic we are also required to go through numerous trainings, even amongst volunteer departments. For me, it is refreshing knowing that one of my top schools encourages their students to take ADLS as I truly believe that it's great training.

Back to the main topic, this is truly a tragedy. Whilst the theater is not in the best of areas in Aurora that does not mean that this is inexcusable by any means. I hate seeing things like this happen. If this truly is a medical student or PhD student it's that much more tragic in my opinion. We do know that the apartment where he was living is commonly used by University of Colorado Anschutz campus students. Here's what our local newspaper is reporting on the incident:

12 Killed, 50 wounded at Aurora movie theater

Aurora theater shooting suspect's apartment "booby trapped"

Hi there everyone. Although i ended up going into a LCME MD institution, i did interview at Rocky Vista. Good luck to all of you applying.

Just wondering if any applicants or currents students here at RVUCOM could answer a couple questions. Looking at the curriculum, I do not see a single pharmacology course as listed in other school's curriculum. I assume they include the related pharmacology in each of the "system" classes, but don't see it explained in the course descriptions in the handbook. Also, what does everyone think of the "system" approach to the classes, rather than the general Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, ect approach??

Thank you so much and I hope for an interview here!!

Yes, Pharm is included as a portion of every system, mostly during second year. The systems approach in my opinion is superior to a traditional curriculum because you get a better sense of how everything ties together. Rather than moving through brain anatomy, chest anatomy, abdomen anatomy, extremity anatomy, etc. then going through all the physiology; you get them grouped together and it's easier to make associations accross subjects. The curriculum is also set up so you get anatomy and physiology the first year, then pathology and pharm the second year. It's nice because you get to review the first year's material a little every system during the second year. Hope that helps.

Hi Everyone

I am so almost done with the secondary here except for the one question of "why RVCOM?" I frankly don't really know what to write. From what I've read so far this school doesn't really stand out all that much from other COM. The only reason why I am applying to this school is its location.

Can any of the current student at RVCOM direct me to some poignant information which I might have missed?

Thank you in advance.

RVU OMS-1 here--just wanted to wish everyone luck, and feel free to shoot me any questions you might have!

We just began orientation today, and classes start in a week (it feels a bit like cresting the first hill of a rollercoaster at the moment!) so I don't know how often I'll be on here, but I'll try to pop on every now and then.

Hi Everyone

I am so almost done with the secondary here except for the one question of "why RVCOM?" I frankly don't really know what to write. From what I've read so far this school doesn't really stand out all that much from other COM. The only reason why I am applying to this school is its location.

Can any of the current student at RVCOM direct me to some poignant information which I might have missed?

Thank you in advance.

Be honest and talk about the location. You might mention the many recreational activities available here. Do you have family or friends here? Talk about how the support system will help you through the difficulties of med school.

Some other ideas: Systems based curriculum with built-in review from first year to second year. Top Level 1 board scores in the country. Track programs (if you're interested) military, rural, and global medicine.

Hope that gives you something to go with.

Anyone heard anything about interviews?

Well they are definitely looking applications over. Just got an email today that my essays didn't go through with my application. Gives me a chance to revise one I wasn't so happy with :D

RE: interviews

I logged into My Vista account and there was a button on my profile to schedule an interview.....never received an email or anything....anyone know if this is the way they invite candidates or should I wait for an official email??

I really want to go here for medical school! What are my chances?

3.5ish cGPA, 3.0ish sGPA, 24Q MCAT (for sure retaking Aug 23)

My stats are low, but I have great ECs and LORs (including one from a DO). Other than the stats, I do believe I am a good candidate but I could be completely wrong.

Please HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Just got an email for an invite! I've loved dealing with this admission staff so far and can't wait to go check it out. Good luck everyone!

working on my secondary right now. 24O (9,6,9). (ps, vr, bs) 3.66 cgpa and sgpa. Any thoughts. substantial research and volunteer work/community service. leadership roles for organization for couple years. Currenlty prepping to train as an ED scribe for this upcoming year.

After you log in, it's under "current status" just below the LORs

Interview 07SEP!!!

Interview 07SEP!!!

I must be too dumb to study medicine. I cannot for the life of me find WHERE to click on the myvista portal to schedule an interview. I got the email invite, but my portal is a giant mess to me. I don't see anything that says "current status". I have a tab at the top that says "interview" where it talks about hotel accommodations, etc....but WHERE DO I ACTUALLY SCHEDULE IT??!?!?! Frustrating....

Help me if you can!!!

Ahhh!!!! I found it! I had to see it on my laptop. It won't appear on my handheld device. The portal is COMPLETELY different in mobile form.
Just letting the forum know in case you run into the same problem I did!

I thought I was going crazy!

Ahhh!!!! I found it! I had to see it on my laptop. It won't appear on my handheld device. The portal is COMPLETELY different in mobile form.

That's weird- I already submitted my supplemental application about 2 weeks ago, but I don't see any current status tab, nor can I find my submitted supplemental application... am I missing something here?!

About how long are your guys' essays? This is the only secondary app I have that doesn't have a word limit

working on my secondary right now. 24O (9,6,9). (ps, vr, bs) 3.66 cgpa and sgpa. Any thoughts. substantial research and volunteer work/community service. leadership roles for organization for couple years. Currenlty prepping to train as an ED scribe for this upcoming year.

You should check what RVU's minimum score in any given category on the MCAT is. I don't remember, but I think it might be 7.

About how long are your guys' essays? This is the only secondary app I have that doesn't have a word limit

For me essay 1 and 2 were like 100-150 words. 3, 4, and 5 were 250-300 words. Based on what I have read I seem to keep my answers much shorter than most do. I'm not sure what other people are talking about in their responses but I answer the questions in a way I think would be unique to me with maybe a sentence mentioning things I believe most people would include.

HAHA ok awesome!!

Just got an email for an invite! I've loved dealing with this admission staff so far and can't wait to go check it out. Good luck everyone!

Congrats! When is your interview??

Interview 07SEP!!!

Congrats! I'm following this thread as a lurker because I will likely apply next cycle. I've read great things about the administration at interviewers. I'm excited to hear how the interview goes so please share your thoughts in the future!

You should check what RVU's minimum score in any given category on the MCAT is. I don't remember, but I think it might be 7.
Hey, Thank you for your reply. I just checked and the minimum requirement is a 6 on all sections. If I apply early enough, will I be okay?

Anyone with a low MCAT get into this school? I have great ECs and starting to work as an ED scribe, which will give me a lot more clinical exposure. I have lots of research experience too.