Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ouch.. Rejected already 3.1 sGPA, 3.2cGPA with strong upward trend and 34 mcat!

Even with a 34 MCAT? Are you out of state? What are your ECs like?

I know someone with similar GPAs but much lower MCAT studying there.

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch.. Rejected already 3.1 sGPA, 3.2cGPA with strong upward trend and 34 mcat!

I bet you were autorejected from a GPA below whatever cutoff they set. Maybe an email to the admissions could get you back in the running? I would think your MCAT would more than make up for the GPA in terms of strictly numbers. This has been my favorite admissions staff so far so it might be worth a try.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet you were autorejected from a GPA below whatever cutoff they set. Maybe an email to the admissions could get you back in the running? I would think your MCAT would more than make up for the GPA in terms of strictly numbers. This has been my favorite admissions staff so far so it might be worth a try.
+1. I would definitely recommend emailing the admissions folks. I recently had them do a transcript review and didn't receive any negative feedback concerning my grades at all and we have similar GPAs. I am a non-trad with a lot of EC including being a remote duty medic but I doubt that's the only reason I didn't receive negative feedback and received a very warm welcome so far.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will email them on monday. I'm also a non trad... My gpa is low and I'm oos but I have 400+ volunteer hrs with a hospital, hospice and working with special-needs children and I've shadowed two d.o.s. I was hoping that my ECs and a 34 mcat would over shadow my gpa :-( RVU was my top pick, I'm super interested in the wilderness medicine program and love Denver.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will email them on monday. I'm also a non trad... My gpa is low and I'm oos but I have 400+ volunteer hrs with a hospital, hospice and working with special-needs children and I've shadowed two d.o.s. I was hoping that my ECs and a 34 mcat would over shadow my gpa :-( RVU was my top pick, I'm super interested in the wilderness medicine program and love Denver.
No worries, good luck. Also for those wondering about minimal scores for the MCAT it is a 6 for any area per their website. Good luck everyone.

My GPAs are better than yours, your MCAT is better than mine. We are both OOS and seem to have similiar ECs, very similiar. I haven't shadowed any DOs. I know nothing of a wilderness program (Edit: just looked it up and that seems awesome!) and I know nothing of Denver other than what I have read on the internet, which makes it seem like an amazing place. I think they would be very interested in you. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm currently waiting for my school to send out my LOR's. I'm just wondering, where in the portal can I see that they have been received or that my application is complete? Or do you get a complete email or something? I'm just wondering because my school should be sending out my letters any day and I'd like to know what to watch for.

So I have a 30 O Mcat and 3.67 gpa and a 3.7 science gpa and got rejected for the interview. This is the first interview rejection Ive gotten but Im hoping its not the first of many...

So I have a 30 O Mcat and 3.67 gpa and a 3.7 science gpa and got rejected for the interview. This is the first interview rejection Ive gotten but Im hoping its not the first of many...

So with all these people getting rejected with WAY higher stats than me, I'm assuming I may as well just check RVU off my list before they even send me the rejection.

So with all these people getting rejected with WAY higher stats than me, I'm assuming I may as well just check RVU off my list before they even send me the rejection.

Wish I could give you more info into what they are looking for instead of just rooting everyone on... Nmakhija stats are better than mine so clearly stats aren't the only determining factor here.

Just to let you know a little more, I have around 400 hours of volunteer experience but not as much hospital volunteer experience (Just started volunteering at two hospitals, one two months ago and the other three months ago) and I have shadowed for three months. Maybe I didnt get one because of a lack of clinical experience. Also I am out of state. Thought I should let you know a little more if its influencing your decision to apply.

They rejected you right off the bet because you have high enough stats to get into an MD program. Therefore, they know that they will be wasting their time and yours if they extend an interview. Unless, you have absolutely no ECs or just wrote a crappy PS. lol Or perhaps a criminal record (felony?). :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got rejected as well, cGPA 3.25, sGPA 3.16, 28. I'm pretty sad because I really would've liked to go here. I guess one less school to wait for...Hopefully I'll have better luck elsewhere.

3.25 cum 3.29 science 26 mcat add me to the rejection list, lol. Just got the rejection email today. I didnt like them that much anyways, tbh Sounds cliche but true, lol. The for profit thing and the location didnt entice me...i have decent ecs and letters..oh well

I was also rejected, I got the email a few days ago :thumbdown: my stats are in my mdapps...

It would have been cool to live in the mountains.... but it's all good, on to the next one :)

I want to know what the heck they're looking for, lol. interviews seem to be scare for rvu.

I want to know what the heck they're looking for, lol. interviews seem to be scare for rvu.

I posted this elsewhere, but I also got rejected... 3.4c/3.6s/33

Maybe they don't like non-trads? I'm three years out of college and teaching high school chemistry...

WOW I can't believe how many of you are rejected already! I've been thinking about adding RVU, but now that's pretty discouraging. I really hope you guys get some interview/acceptance love from other schools!

I posted this elsewhere, but I also got rejected... 3.4c/3.6s/33

Maybe they don't like non-trads? I'm three years out of college and teaching high school chemistry...

:thumbup: maybe... I'm also a non trad

I would like to know this also! I was rejected today around 3:30pm. Seems quite odd to me that so many people with great stats have been rejected. Either way, just need to keep our heads up and look forward to better news ahead. Best of luck to everyone!

anyone tried logging on to the myvista website to check your status on your phone? I did that and it shows an "admissions portal" whereas when I log onto the site via a computer it has that my file is complete box with a checklist of everything completed. Anyone has noticed this difference?

it also seems i only get a change between the two sites from rocky vistas site, i dont get this change when i use my phone for other schools

Last edited:
They rejected you right off the bet because you have high enough stats to get into an MD program. Therefore, they know that they will be wasting their time and yours if they extend an interview.

Could be possible. They have the highest yeild of interviews to matriculants that I have seen so maybe that is more valuable to them than taking the time to invite someone with nicer stats that might reject them.

I'm 24 soon to be 25 and can say this school quickly propelled to the top of my list. Maybe that came though in my secondary? Really hard to say what they are basing their invites on but they seem to know what they want.

For the 2nd essay: 2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?

Did yall post a resume/CV or explain in detail? Im wondering if it's better to say "Freshman year I worked here, did this, and dedicated X hours/week." or just briefly mention work experiences. Thanks!

EDIT: RVUCOM said a CV or resume or essay format is fine.

Last edited:
I would like to know this also! I was rejected today around 3:30pm. Seems quite odd to me that so many people with great stats have been rejected. Either way, just need to keep our heads up and look forward to better news ahead. Best of luck to everyone!

My friend talked to them the other day and says that they want multiple upper level bio classes within the last 2 years. Also, they are looking for a lot of community service. Sorry don't know your story, but possibly that applies????

This is definitely my top choice here at home. I loved the campus: brand new and smallish, has a really comfortable feel to it, everyone knows everyone and seems really laid back. Great test scores and matches, the only issue seems to be the financial aid, but since I can mooch off my mom, who lives 2 minutes away, "Oh, well".:thumbup:

Interview is 9/7. Going to DMU directly after it. Gotta decide whether to spend an extra day in Colorado or Iowa... hmmm

I received an interview today! I am so excited. I was really down on my luck. very low mcat, average gpa, and really good ECs. I will hopefully see you on the 7th!

I received an interview today! I am so excited. I was really down on my luck. very low mcat, average gpa, and really good ECs. I will hopefully see you on the 7th!
when were you complete?

Congrats!! :thumbup: What's your mcat? I can't believe so many people are getting rejected! I'm definitely getting nervous! :scared:

Congrats to everyone that has received an interview invitation so far. I haven't submitted yet but will be doing so soon. I met with RVU's admissions staff earlier this year to get an honest opinion of my chances for this application cycle (took the opportunity since I live here in Denver). During my transcript review and getting to know the admissions counselor, they are definitely looking for those that have completed upper division biology courses and are coming in with experienced ECs. Btw, she stressed to me it's an average GPA of X and an average MCAT score of X, which means that we accept students with lower stats but stronger ECs that we know the student knows what they are getting in for in becoming a physician.

Through talking to some of their students, a faculty member, and their admissions staff they don't have any issue with non-traditional students and seem to be strongly looking for those that are truly interested in rural medicine/international medicine, know what they are getting in for in choosing to become a physician, and are ready to be a team player as they strongly encourage their student body to work together.

Just my .02 and I'll of course keep ya'll updated if I receive an interview invitation or not as the season progresses so that we can litmus test all of this information. Good luck to everyone that has interview invitations so far and feel free to PM me if you would like to know specific information on the Denver Metro area, etc.

Congrats to everyone that has received an interview invitation so far. I haven't submitted yet but will be doing so soon. I met with RVU's admissions staff earlier this year to get an honest opinion of my chances for this application cycle (took the opportunity since I live here in Denver). During my transcript review and getting to know the admissions counselor, they are definitely looking for those that have completed upper division biology courses and are coming in with experienced ECs. Btw, she stressed to me it's an average GPA of X and an average MCAT score of X, which means that we accept students with lower stats but stronger ECs that we know the student knows what they are getting in for in becoming a physician.

Through talking to some of their students, a faculty member, and their admissions staff they don't have any issue with non-traditional students and seem to be strongly looking for those that are truly interested in rural medicine/international medicine, know what they are getting in for in choosing to become a physician, and are ready to be a team player as they strongly encourage their student body to work together.

Just my .02 and I'll of course keep ya'll updated if I receive an interview invitation or not as the season progresses so that we can litmus test all of this information. Good luck to everyone that has interview invitations so far and feel free to PM me if you would like to know specific information on the Denver Metro area, etc.

Awesome information! :luck: How far is the school from the Denver area?

Awesome information! :luck: How far is the school from the Denver area?
The school itself is located within the Denver Metro area (Parker is SE of the actual city of Denver, but Denver's become a very metropolitan area so it's hard to tell when you're leaving one city and going to the next except for street sign changes, etc) and is about 30-60 minutes from downtown Denver depending on traffic.

Just to add on... the admissions folks just released the stats for the new Class of 2016. Mean science GPA was a 3.53; overall GPA mean was 3.6 and MCAT was 27.4 (BTW they don't take the highest score from each section to calculate scores as some schools do). The highest MCAT for matriculating students this year was a 40, so they don't reject candidates outright just because they have strong stats. All completed files are read cover to cover to bring in the candidates they think are the best for their program. As a result, over 80% of the people who interview at RVU are accepted. Hope this helps.

Just to add on... the admissions folks just released the stats for the new Class of 2016. Mean science GPA was a 3.53; overall GPA mean was 3.6 and MCAT was 27.4 (BTW they don't take the highest score from each section to calculate scores as some schools do). The highest MCAT for matriculating students this year was a 40, so they don't reject candidates outright just because they have strong stats. All completed files are read cover to cover to bring in the candidates they think are the best for their program. As a result, over 80% of the people who interview at RVU are accepted. Hope this helps.

Which schools take your highest score from each section?

For those who have received interviews, have y'all completed upper level science courses?

Just saw this on my email, so I thought I'd post it:

Faculty, Staff, and Student Doctors,

Some good news, so I thought I’d pass it along today, rather than wait until Friday when I usually send out my report.

As you know, all students ar RVUCOM are required to take the COMLEX examinations, and they have the option of taking the USMLE examinations. This year we had a total of 103 students who elected to sit for the USMLE I exam (roughly 2/3rds of the class). We have received the final reports on USMLE I scores.

Our pass rate is 96.1% and the Mean is 220.5

Congratulations to the class of 2014 and their wonderful pass rate on USMLE I. Your hard work has certainly been noticed and appreciated.

Many thanks to our faculty and staff who collectively take great pride in training the next generation of Americas doctors.

We are hoping for more COMLEX scores (both level I and II) later this week. As soon as I have those back, I’ll report those results as well.

All the best,

Dr. Dubin

anybody else getting this "admissions links error" box pop up when logging in to myvista to check your status?

For those who have received interviews, have y'all completed upper level science courses?

I took quite a few upper level bio classes and am taking biochem this fall.

I like that USMLE score, everything I hear about this school makes it more and more appealing. The only negative seems to be the cost which isn't far off other schools either. It's hard to believe how quickly this school established itself.

Got an INTERVIEW! 3.6c/3.7s/30

File Complete: 7/27
Scheduled Interview: 10/4

never mine, i still got that admission link error box but i did get the interview invite! 3.2,3.26 and 32 MCAT, did have a upward gpa trend though, anyone doing the sept 18 date?

Interview invite! I am considering the 18th, but haven't decided yet.

Stats: 32 MCAT, 3.8 gpa, non-traditional

DENIED interview... 24 mcat/ 3.77 gpa/ awesome ec's and work experience. Bummed =/