This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello SDN.

I am in the lucky and blessed position to have acceptances at both of these schools. I have various reasons for liking each, and I feel that this is the choice between two good options. Just want to see what others might have to chip in about my decision. (+pro, -con)

Rocky Vista:
+Strong COMLEX scores
+Beautiful new and high-tech campus (lots of windows, study areas)
+St. George is gorgeous, I would love to have mild winters
+Possibility for pediatric patient encounters
+High-tech sim lab being set up
+Strong residency placements
+I like the philosophy that the administration has (preparing us for 1st year of residency)
+Seems like they have quality rotation sites
+Students were the most friendly that I have seen, just about everyone who passed by said hi and was willing to answer a couple of questions. Some were there for a couple of hours fielding our questions
-Higher average student debt ($294,018 vs $273,569)
-More expensive cost of living
-Less work options for wife (is a public health RN)
-Much further from home (my wife says this isn't important, but I can tell that it is)
-8/table in anatomy lab
-Did not get to see anatomy lab during interview day, though have seen it in pictures and heard it was quality
-Patient exposure is at skilled nursing facility right next to campus (not at all the population that I want to work with)
-Kind of out there by itself, albeit there is a fair amount in the way of food/shopping
-Hot af during the summer
-I'm not really an outdoor type, so that selling point doesn't mean much to me
-Every student mentioned how difficult the curriculum was (not a bad thing, I expect to work my butt off in medical school. But no other students at any school I have been talked about curriculum difficulty like the students at Rocky Vista

Western U:
+I want to hopefully get a residency and ultimately practice in Pacific Northwest
+Appear to have solid COMLEX scores as well
+70+ standardized patient encounters
+Access to volunteering in a free clinic (big thing for me as I want to be able to get as much patient care experience as possible)
+Smaller entering class (108 vs 125)
+There are distinct assessment weeks
+Interested in doing their intensive Anatomy course the summer before school starts to get a heads-up on it as well as be able to be there for my classmates
+Clerkship locations are in Oregon (desired future practice location), with little to no moving around once you are in an area
+Have assessment weeks after each block (4/year) with all assessments during that time, idk but that just appeals to me
+Conference weeks after the assessment weeks, with choices of learning that are free of grades
+Vacation time budgeted into 3rd and 4th year (haven't really seen that with other programs)
+Overall program has been around longer, with the name recognition of Western University
+Many more RN opportunities
+20 minutes from larger towns, 1.5 hours from Portland, ~1 from ocean (I know I won't have much time for day trips, but I love Portland and the Oregon coast so having the opportunity to go if I have free time would be great)
+More mild climate
+Generally cheaper cost of living
+Students seemed more laid back
-Conference weeks every 13th week during 3rd and 4th year where we have to return to Lebanon (OSCEs, planning for upcoming rotations, OMM review sessions)
-Relatively new campus, but didn't blow me away like Rocky Vista
-Got to only see anatomy lab for less than 30 seconds

From making this list, it certainly appears that Western U is offering more of what I am looking for. I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything and that the things I have listed are in line with the reality of things.

Thank you for making it through this post. And I hope the wind is ever at your back to you Pre-Meds, Med students, Residents, and Attendings.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN.

I am in the lucky and blessed position to have acceptances at both of these schools. I have various reasons for liking each, and I feel that this is the choice between two good options. Just want to see what others might have to chip in about my decision. (+pro, -con)

Rocky Vista:
+Strong COMLEX scores
+Beautiful new and high-tech campus (lots of windows, study areas)
+St. George is gorgeous, I would love to have mild winters
+Possibility for pediatric patient encounters
+High-tech sim lab being set up
+Strong residency placements
+I like the philosophy that the administration has (preparing us for 1st year of residency)
+Seems like they have quality rotation sites
+Students were the most friendly that I have seen, just about everyone who passed by said hi and was willing to answer a couple of questions. Some were there for a couple of hours fielding our questions
-Higher average student debt ($294,018 vs $273,569)
-More expensive cost of living
-Less work options for wife (is a public health RN)
-Much further from home (my wife says this isn't important, but I can tell that it is)
-8/table in anatomy lab
-Did not get to see anatomy lab during interview day, though have seen it in pictures and heard it was quality
-Patient exposure is at skilled nursing facility right next to campus (not at all the population that I want to work with)
-Kind of out there by itself, albeit there is a fair amount in the way of food/shopping
-Hot af during the summer
-I'm not really an outdoor type, so that selling point doesn't mean much to me
-Every student mentioned how difficult the curriculum was (not a bad thing, I expect to work my butt off in medical school. But no other students at any school I have been talked about curriculum difficulty like the students at Rocky Vista

Western U:
+I want to hopefully get a residency and ultimately practice in Pacific Northwest
+Appear to have solid COMLEX scores as well
+70+ standardized patient encounters
+Access to volunteering in a free clinic (big thing for me as I want to be able to get as much patient care experience as possible)
+Smaller entering class (108 vs 125)
+There are distinct assessment weeks
+Interested in doing their intensive Anatomy course the summer before school starts to get a heads-up on it as well as be able to be there for my classmates
+Clerkship locations are in Oregon (desired future practice location), with little to no moving around once you are in an area
+Have assessment weeks after each block (4/year) with all assessments during that time, idk but that just appeals to me
+Conference weeks after the assessment weeks, with choices of learning that are free of grades
+Vacation time budgeted into 3rd and 4th year (haven't really seen that with other programs)
+Overall program has been around longer, with the name recognition of Western University
+Many more RN opportunities
+20 minutes from larger towns, 1.5 hours from Portland, ~1 from ocean (I know I won't have much time for day trips, but I love Portland and the Oregon coast so having the opportunity to go if I have free time would be great)
+More mild climate
+Generally cheaper cost of living
+Students seemed more laid back
-Conference weeks every 13th week during 3rd and 4th year where we have to return to Lebanon (OSCEs, planning for upcoming rotations, OMM review sessions)
-Relatively new campus, but didn't blow me away like Rocky Vista
-Got to only see anatomy lab for less than 30 seconds

From making this list, it certainly appears that Western U is offering more of what I am looking for. I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything and that the things I have listed are in line with the reality of things.

Thank you for making it through this post. And I hope the wind is ever at your back to you Pre-Meds, Med students, Residents, and Attendings.

Western U seems like it has everything you want.

Members don't see this ad :)