Rods vs Cones Phototransduction Cascade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avalonisland888

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the two phototransduction cascades? According to my understanding, rods are used at night (depolarized) and when they are exposed to light, they get activated/hyperpolarized. This results in the bipolar ganglion cells getting depolarized, CGMP --> GMP, Na+ channels close. Is this process correct? Is this process identical to what happens in cones?

Why is hyperpolarization considered activation when you're actually turning off the rods? The terminology is a bit confusing to me.

Members don't see this ad.

The mechanism of phototransduction cascade can be assumed the same for cones and rods in the context of the MCAT. However, the way they are processed in the brain is wildly different. Your description of the cascade sounds okay, but bipolar cells getting depolarized should be in the last part. Hyper polarization is considered activation because it allows vision to happen. There are plenty of other things that are unusual in the eye, like the ciliary body contraction, organization of capillary network, and etc. That’s why it’s so fascinating to look inside and often referred to as “the window to one’s health.” Source = I work in a vision research lab :D

Reactions: 1 user
The mechanism of phototransduction cascade can be assumed the same for cones and rods in the context of the MCAT. However, the way they are processed in the brain is wildly different. Your description of the cascade sounds okay, but bipolar cells getting depolarized should be in the last part. Hyper polarization is considered activation because it allows vision to happen. There are plenty of other things that are unusual in the eye, like the ciliary body contraction, organization of capillary network, and etc. That’s why it’s so fascinating to look inside and often referred to as “the window to one’s health.” Source = I work in a vision research lab :D
That's awesome! Thank you so much :))