PaulK

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
I have read many times over, note-carded, and pretty much memorized the Kaplan book and consistently score in the 18-22 range on the three Kaplan practice tests I've got access to. I also have the Topscore CD and have taken all those practice tests with similar results.

Just when I think I'm ready to schedule a test date, and I learn about the Destroyer from this forum...so I have a look at orgoman.com.

I realize the sample problems posted on the site are intended to make you feel like you need to order the product. That said, it was fairly effective! I felt a lot less confident than I do with Kaplan and TopScore in doing those questions.

So I guess my ultimate question is...if you were me, would you put off the test date and do Destroyer for a week or two? Simply put, do I need Destroyer?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

joeliu0112

10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2007
Status
  1. Dental Student
I only used the Kaplan blue book. Nothing else. I think you can do well w/ the amount of studying you have put forth w/ your resources. Confidence is key!

Best of luck on your exam if you decide to take it early!

jigabodo

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Louisville, KY
Status
  1. Dentist
I have read many times over, note-carded, and pretty much memorized the Kaplan book and consistently score in the 18-22 range on the three Kaplan practice tests I've got access to. I also have the Topscore CD and have taken all those practice tests with similar results.

Just when I think I'm ready to schedule a test date, and I learn about the Destroyer from this forum...so I have a look at orgoman.com.

I realize the sample problems posted on the site are intended to make you feel like you need to order the product. That said, it was fairly effective! I felt a lot less confident than I do with Kaplan and TopScore in doing those questions.

So I guess my ultimate question is...if you were me, would you put off the test date and do Destroyer for a week or two? Simply put, do I need Destroyer?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

This is gonna be a tough one.

You are gonna have people like me and joeliu who didnt use the Destroyer and did well on the DAT telling you that its ok not to use Destroyer. On the other hand, I would say 90% of the kids on this forum did use detroyer, and thought it was extremely helpful to them.

Truthfully, I was in the exact situation a little over a month ago when I found out about Destroyer. I had less than 2 weeks till the D day, and I was really debating whether I should just get detroyer and delay the test for another 2 weeks or so. I chose not to.

But ultimately, this is gonna be a decision you gonna have to make yourself. Do you feel ready? Are you confident that you can do well? If so, you probably wont need it. Another thing that you need to take into consideration is that how much do you think Destroyer can really help you during the course of another 2 weeks or so. If you think that it will be able to raise your TS/AA by 2 points, then I would say def. go for it. Keep in mind that you are also a little short on time here, because imo Septeber is somewhat late for taking the DAT.

About the Ads

PaulK

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Thanks very much for your kind replies. :thumbup:

In the grand scheme of things, the cost of the materials and extra effort is minimal next to the potential gain and the study time I've already invested (even if Destroyer helps raise my score only one point, it's worth it to me).

So, I ordered today and will hopefully receive the text next week. I'll just postpone the test for 1 extra week and read Destroyer cover to cover a few times....Kind of a happy medium, I guess.

Thanks again folks...I'll let you know how it goes.

TheWiredNerv

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, Long Island
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
If you really do know every single thing in the Kaplan blue book you should do fine. The only second giving kaplan people grief, out of the sciences at least, is biology. I used destroyer and found it very helpful but as state above, it is not needed to get a great score on the DAT. I am however, a firm beliver that one should practice from as many sources as they can. Wish you best

JMJRDH1

Floss User
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
The open road
Status
  1. Dentist
I think that it would be unwise NOT to at least try the destroyer. If you really know your stuff well, then you will roll through it. If not, well then think it of as cheap insurance blowing your real DAT. Either way, $160 is not worth the risk IMHO, especially since some of the destroyer questions are very similar to problems seen on the actual DAT.

You can pick up the Destroyer used for around $100, and then resell it again when you are done, so please don't let the money factor lead your decision.

Either way, best of luck!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads