Rol Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woundvac

MALE M0DEL
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the lowest on a general surgery rank list that you have heard of someone going?

i've heard of number 10.

of the people that you know who did not match in general surgery, on average, how long was their rank list?

of the people i know its 5-7.

so for me it seems best to rank at least 10 , and maybe as high as 15 to be on the safe side. do you agree with this?

we know general surgery is quite filled come match day, 99% and all that. but how filled is it come scramble day? in other words, are there a large number or small number of programs that end up taking scramblees?

for me, it seems to be very small, since everyone that scrambled from my school in the past ended up doing a prelim instead.

kill me now.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

There were approximately 1100 categorical general surgery spots last year. As I recall, there were 10 unmatched spots +/- 1 or 2 spots. I'll try to post the exact #'s tomorrow.

So to answer your question, scramble day starts with very few slots open. Indications are that this year will be similar.

With regards to your rank list, just keep in mind that you are actually ranking n+1 programs, with choice n+1 being scramble. So rank every program that's better than scrambling. Some won't be - most probably will.