Role and scope of a neurologist specialzing in Brain Injury Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeesan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if I appear uninformed or naive. But I am very curious about the role of a neurologist who has specialized in/completed a fellowship in Brain Injury Medicine. What conditions do they treat as a physician? The patient population - is it mostly TBI or a good mix of others such as anoxic brain injury/stroke? What does their typical day look like? Is it a depressing field with mostly minimal changes in patients? Is there scope to perform research in neuroscience?

A lot of questions I know but I basically have very little idea about the scope of a physician in Brain Injury Medicine and would like to know as much as possible. I'd highly appreciate if someone took the time to answer my questions.

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

One of my colleagues, a neurologist, finished neurorehab fellowship. If I'm not mistaken, neurorehab and brain injury medicine are similar, if not the same subspecialty. He's interested post-stroke rehab and spasticity (botulinum toxin, baclofen pump).

Reactions: 1 user