Role Models

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaded03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious.

Experiment:
Considering the secondaries' trend toward independent thinking and why YOU want to be an MD, I was curious as to how many owe someone else to influence them. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Well, role models do the inspiring. You do the brain-storming, the planning, and the work. I don't see the paradox.

Well, role models do the inspiring. You do the brain-storming, the planning, and the work. I don't see the paradox.

Hmm. I guess you have a point. I don't know. I guess I am not really inspired by any single person over experiences, so it's less obvious to me. Eh, I guess I just wasted another thread. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. I guess you have a point. I don't know. I guess I am not really inspired by any single person over experiences, so it's less obvious to me. Eh, I guess I just wasted another thread. :p
I had one or two. I thought of the ideas myself beforehand but they were the extra push to get me researching and teaching.

If you didn't have a role model, then good for you. Experiences are the things that count anyway.

I'm curious though. Can inspirations be drawn from being against a person? Actually, I'm probably shooting myself in the butt with this. I don't really want to slam him for who he is, but the reasons I don't have role models are because I have simply bad ones with respect to health care in general. LoL. I ask this should a secondary or interview come up with something like this and I feel like "no, I did it all myself" is a little useless. I wasn't ALONE in this path, but I couldn't pick any one person really. Like the homeless man I had a chat with. :p

I'm curious though. Can inspirations be drawn from being against a person? Actually, I'm probably shooting myself in the butt with this. I don't really want to slam him for who he is, but the reasons I don't have role models are because I have simply bad ones with respect to health care in general. LoL. I ask this should a secondary or interview come up with something like this and I feel like "no, I did it all myself" is a little useless. I wasn't ALONE in this path, but I couldn't pick any one person really. Like the homeless man I had a chat with. :p

What about a generic answer along the lines of your mom/dad/guardian/whatever? If the interviewer doesn't specifically ask "who in medicine has inspired you", you could easily explain how your parents or whoever have always been determined and hardworking people, and this has rubbed off on you, yadda yadda yadda.

Well at least for me, my role models didn't convince me to be a doctor or anything. They merely got me researching or teaching because they were so good at it and seemed to enjoy it so much. Eventually, those experiences plus some others got me to consider medicine more carefully and voila here I am on SDN.

Maybe you don't have big role models but can you think of anyone who got you to study harder for a class than usual? Made you try out for something you weren't going to?

Hmm. The parents thing was the obvious choice. However, I've never been pushed like that. Honestly, I have the laziest guidance people as far as teachers, parents, and friends go. From my town, if you were doing well in school the idea was that you will go places. :p Even in college, I've been in three labs because they were so unmotivated to get me excited about research. I really asked to the point where they practically offered the door when I wanted more to do. :p My basic drives have come from experimenting with life and feeling really good about things I'm doing. I never turned towards people to offer me that directly, but rather made it into something for myself. (Wow, that seemed a bit pathetic, but so it goes...)

Maybe my question is a bit generalized, let's try a real example of a question:
Who would you consider to be the most influential person in your life and why?
-UC Davis 2006? (Something like that.)

Hmm. The parents thing was the obvious choice. However, I've never been pushed like that. Honestly, I have the laziest guidance people as far as teachers, parents, and friends go. From my town, if you were doing well in school the idea was that you will go places. :p Even in college, I've been in three labs because they were so unmotivated to get me excited about research. I really asked to the point where they practically offered the door when I wanted more to do. :p My basic drives have come from experimenting with life and feeling really good about things I'm doing. I never turned towards people to offer me that directly, but rather made it into something for myself. (Wow, that seemed a bit pathetic, but so it goes...)

Maybe my question is a bit generalized, let's try a real example of a question:
Who would you consider to be the most influential person in your life and why?
-UC Davis 2006? (Something like that.)
Well, gee. Now that you phrase it like that, OP, I have no clue.

Damn you and your thread for ruining my Sunday.

Seriously, though, I guess my bio teacher in high school who made me realize that you should be really sure that you want to be a doc. (He dropped out of his second year at Stanford to be a teacher instead).

Who knows... one person? Eff that.

Seriously, though, I guess my bio teacher in high school who made me realize that you should be really sure that you want to be a doc. (He dropped out of his second year at Stanford to be a teacher instead).

LoL. That's funny. I guess my anatomy/physiology teacher in HS gave me that experience. He created a computer program (to model some biological function) for a UG senior thesis and worked for the peace corp and found his wife in Tonga, and did NOT get into medical school and became a teacher. :p How's that for inspiration against affirmative action (which is basically waht happened here :p).

Hey now, I didn't mean to do that. Maybe you should go out with some friends and have fun. You might be "inspired" down the road. Well, that's what I'm doing. Don't rack your brain over it. Um...

Using what you've given me, try looking into something that you really admire about someone. I think this is the best way to go for this question. However...

Don't pull a UPenn UG essay (not sure if this is UPenn), and think about someone you have profound respect for with whom you don't agree.

Hey now, I didn't mean to do that. Maybe you should go out with some friends and have fun. You might be "inspired" down the road. Well, that's what I'm doing. Don't rack your brain over it. Um...

Using what you've given me, try looking into something that you really admire about someone. I think this is the best way to go for this question. However...

Don't pull a UPenn UG essay (not sure if this is UPenn), and think about someone you have profound respect for with whom you don't agree.
I don't have any friends outside of SDN... <hugs everyone>