1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Role of GI in Baraitics... a TOGA party?

Discussion in 'Gastroenterology' started by FreeWeezy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. FreeWeezy

Medical Student
    While they are still somewhat experimental (although approved in Canada and elsewhere), transoral gastroplasty (TOGA), balloons, and similar endoscope based alternatives to bariatric surgery seem promising. While no one has a crystal ball, does anyone have any perspective on how widely they might be used 10 years out? Also, all these procedures are now done under general anesthesia by bariatric surgeons as part of "endoscope surgery." I surprised to learn this since I always thought GI had a monopoly on scopes. How likely is it that these procedures would become done by GI docs? If that happens, would there still be a role for surgeons, a turf battle, or really enough obese patients to go around for both fields?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    10 years? I can't predict what's coming next month.

NOTES and all of the similar procedures will probably (and should IMHO) remain the domain of physicians who can open the abd and fix a mistake.

Its possible that some of the endoscopic bariatric and antireflux techniques will filter into GI but our track record with this has been poor.