Role of Relatives in LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMost

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG and have been accepted for doing clinical electives in a college in USA for 2 months.
I would like to rotate another month in the US. I have a dilemma over it.

Since I am trying to do another month of electives in July, I don't have time to apply to universities/Hospitals (as we are supposed to apply 4-6 months beforehand).

I am thinking of contacting a third-party USCE company for a month of rotation.
I have a distant relative in the US - who knows some doctors and I think she might TRY to help me if I ask.

Should I go ahead and try asking some doctor, work with him in his clinic and try to get an LOR or I should do one hospital based rotation with a third-part USCE company.

I would be so much grateful if someone can help me out decide, or even connect me with some doctors who can sponsor me a paid elective.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

USCE companies exist to make money, don't expect to gain any meaningful experience from those rotations.

All of this sounds strange. Why not just apply at university hospitals yourself? Why throw money down a company's throat if you can just use the money to pay tuition?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
USCE companies exist to make money, don't expect to gain any meaningful experience from those rotations.

All of this sounds strange. Why not just apply at university hospitals yourself? Why throw money down a company's throat if you can just use the money to pay tuition?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes. That is what is holding me back. The problem is, I am graduating in 3-4 months.
So I don't have time to apply to other universities (as the application submission should 4-6 months prior to the choice of elective) :(
This is situation is Killing me. I don't know what to do.

However I managed to get electives in Herbert Wertheim FIU, Florida for 2 months.
I am looking for USCE for another month - for the month of June.