• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

polygonal

10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
So, have the PDs finished their ROL lists yet?

Is there an ICD-9 code for Matchitis, severe with anxiety features?

Emergen-C

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Just out of curiosity, how does one of those famous conversations go? All I can imagine is that it's something like one of the following:

PD1: So what'd you think of candidate X?
PD2: I really liked him. We're ranking him high and he wants to come here.
PD1: Oh Ok, then we won't rank him high since he's going to your program.

or

PD1: So what'd you think of Candidate Y?
PD2: He had poor social skills on interview day. He's not on our ROL.
PD1: Yeah we thought so too. Wonder where he'll match since we're not ranking him either.

About the Ads

drakken

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Just out of curiosity, how does one of those famous conversations go? All I can imagine is that it's something like one of the following:

PD1: So what'd you think of candidate X?
PD2: I really liked him. We're ranking him high and he wants to come here.
PD1: Oh Ok, then we won't rank him high since he's going to your program.

or

PD1: So what'd you think of Candidate Y?
PD2: He had poor social skills on interview day. He's not on our ROL.
PD1: Yeah we thought so too. Wonder where he'll match since we're not ranking him either.

Your take on it is exactly what I imagined. A trade off of sorts between buddies might happen. Like I really want candidate A and I know they are ranking you first but if you don't rank them highly we will get them and you can have candidate B whom I know you want and we don't really care about. Does this really happen?

StudentDoc327

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
We're doing ours Wednesday. Got one of those famous comparing notes calls today.

Don't you guys just rank candidates in the order of your preference, kind of like how we rank programs? Regardless of where they are on other PD's lists?

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think the conversation is more like..

PD1 Hey what did you think of Fetus.
PD2 well he spent a month here and did a real good job, he did x,y, and z real well. He could use improvement in a,b,and c and i think he would be a good/great/amazing/terrible resident.

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2002
Travelling via handbasket
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
We're doing ours Wednesday. Got one of those famous comparing notes calls today.

Hey BKN, are you going to rank SDNers higher (even those of us who didn't apply to your program)? You should! I think all SDNers should automatically get a place on your ROL. :D

I have so many great ideas. ;)

darunc

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
near the sea
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
damn you the proclaimers and all of your muzak!!!

why would you corrupt my pure mind with your filthy language.

step1

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
t
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Don't you guys just rank candidates in the order of your preference, kind of like how we rank programs? Regardless of where they are on other PD's lists?

From experience applying a while back in different field:

This is somewhat of a concern, particularly when interviewing at many programs. There are bound to be 1 or 2 interviews where there was some misunderstanding, and 1-2 mistakes can be ones entire mistake.

-ex, applicant doing string of interviews at a time with minimal sleep and looks tired at interview- Interviewer may think he's not motivated

-or opposite: applicant is excited to interview at their ideal program and looks too enthusiastic, and Interviewer thinks they're not in touch with reality.

Then the comparison call comes in:

A: "Who is on the top/bottom of your list?"
B: "X is high up, what great letters he has"
A: "Oh, but X had 3 drinks of alcohol in our social gathering according to the chief resident"
B: "Oh really, I don't want an alcoholic in my program, I'm taking him off the list"
A: "yeah, spread the word... this guy is a bad apple"
B: "I wonder if he'll match"
A: "Who Cares?"
B: "I'll tell every one except the PD at Hospital Z who I no longer speak with. Although he may have his sources."

Also, occasionally PD's shuffle or switch one person for another.
I'm not sure how much of this goes on in EM, but there might be some of this to some degree.

Hopefully in the end we'll all match, and it will be somewhere where we fit in well. :oops:

D

deleted109597

For our sake, I hope they only ask about tangible things.

Otherwise, I'm going to stress a lot more.

About the Ads

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
New England
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It's funny how 'gut feel' has become a household word in my family. After every interview, and now second looks. I use it constantly. Used to be that 'gut' in my house was simply the thing that hangs over the top of my pants. No more.

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Your take on it is exactly what I imagined. A trade off of sorts between buddies might happen. Like I really want candidate A and I know they are ranking you first but if you don't rank them highly we will get them and you can have candidate B whom I know you want and we don't really care about. Does this really happen?

You guys are projecting just a little. I don't think anybody "trades". We wouldn't have the power to do that even if we wanted to with the average candidate having a list of 6-15 programs.

The calls tend to be info calls. Specifically the call I mentioned earlier was to me about a candidate from my school. The PD already knew where he/she want to place him/her. Just wanted to know if there were hidden skeletons in the closet. I didn't know of any. Of course even I I had, I wasn't a referee on this one, I don't think I could have revealed it.

Got our list done today. 5.5 hour meeting. Brutal.

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
From experience applying a while back in different field:

Then the comparison call comes in:

A: "Who is on the top/bottom of your list?"
B: "X is high up, what great letters he has"
A: "Oh, but X had 3 drinks of alcohol in our social gathering according to the chief resident"
B: "Oh really, I don't want an alcoholic in my program, I'm taking him off the list"
A: "yeah, spread the word... this guy is a bad apple"
B: "I wonder if he'll match"
A: "Who Cares?"
B: "I'll tell every one except the PD at Hospital Z who I no longer speak with. Although he may have his sources."

I so want to say this is the way it is, just to be mean. :eek:

But it isn't.
:laugh:

step1

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
t
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I so want to say this is the way it is, just to be mean. :eek:

But it isn't.
:laugh:
:rolleyes: It's all good.
I was being somewhat humorous (but a bit concerned at the same time).
Oh what classic manifestations of Matchitis...
Hopefully there isn't much of Rankitis.:luck:

drakken

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
You guys are projecting just a little. I don't think anybody "trades". We wouldn't have the power to do that even if we wanted to with the average candidate having a list of 6-15 programs.

The calls tend to be info calls. Specifically the call I mentioned earlier was to me about a candidate from my school. The PD already knew where he/she want to place him/her. Just wanted to know if there were hidden skeletons in the closet. I didn't know of any. Of course even I I had, I wasn't a referee on this one, I don't think I could have revealed it.

Thanks for calming the matchitis symptoms that arise this time of year.:)

membsr-8890

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Wow, only 5.5 hours? Hmmm... why did it take me SO much longer than that? I'm only ranking 12 programs, and you're ranking around 100 candidates! I suddenly feel like I'm overthinking this thing.

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Wow, only 5.5 hours? Hmmm... why did it take me SO much longer than that? I'm only ranking 12 programs, and you're ranking around 100 candidates! I suddenly feel like I'm overthinking this thing.

Procedure = 5.5 hours, but prior to that:

1) application screening > 100 (BKN),
2) interviews approx 400 (committee)
3) statistical modeling 50 (BKN)

Things piled up on my desk ignored through the season = limitless.

I'm tired.

And of course you're overthinking, . . . You have matchitis!

D

deleted109597

Hey BKN, even though I didn't apply or interview at your program, any chance you can just throw me in at the end there for fun? I would do the same for you. Imagine what we could tell the incoming class in 3 years if we ended up there?

Kidding. Probably. Matchitis may have gone tertiary on me.

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So....can programs make changes to their ROL and re-certify it like we can?

About the Ads

Dr. Will

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2002
Houston, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So....can programs make changes to their ROL and re-certify it like we can?

That's a good question. My cash bribes should be arriving in the PD's bank accounts at some point this week. I'd like to know that it'll be useful.

NKMU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
That's a good question. My cash bribes should be arriving in the PD's bank accounts at some point this week. I'd like to know that it'll be useful.

You should have just Paypal'd them the money with the thank you emails like I did. Saved a step!

step1

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
t
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

I gave each of my interviewers $100 Starbucks give cards instead of thank you letters, and offered to pay the mortgage on the PD's home.

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Hey BKN, even though I didn't apply or interview at your program, any chance you can just throw me in at the end there for fun? I would do the same for you. Imagine what we could tell the incoming class in 3 years if we ended up there?

:eek: Not a chance. My committee would beat me black and blue.

D

deleted109597

Hey, how about people list their ROL and why they put each hospital in what position on the list?

We already have the thread ready, nobody wants to put them until after ROL day.

Or maybe even match day. Karma and all.

About the Ads

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Submitted my ROL last night after I got the "you have not certified" email. I felt bullied and kind of scared so I certified. It hasn't changed in weeks anyway. Plus, it said that you could always re-certifly which was the big question. Not that I could imagine changing it, just that I didn't like how definite the whole situation was. It was really only the top 3 that had potential to switch around because they all 3 rock! I wish I could somehow combine the people from all 3 and do THAT residency.

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
That would be a lot of residents and attendings running around. The ED volume would have to be enormous to support that!

I will do a month in each and rotate. :idea: OR, I can just take my private jet for shifts at whereever I need to be for the next day!

Dakota

15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I will do a month in each and rotate. :idea: OR, I can just take my private jet for shifts at whereever I need to be for the next day!

I'd rather take my yacht so I'll be limited to programs in costal areas that have marinas that will accomodate my Beneteau 57.

D

deleted109597

I'd rather take my yacht so I'll be limited to programs in costal areas that have marinas that will accomodate my Beneteau 57.
beneteau57_sail2.jpg

So, you've got a new best friend now. Want to take him on the water?

nocallaochicas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Submitted my ROL last night after I got the "you have not certified" email. I felt bullied and kind of scared so I certified. It hasn't changed in weeks anyway. Plus, it said that you could always re-certifly which was the big question. Not that I could imagine changing it, just that I didn't like how definite the whole situation was. It was really only the top 3 that had potential to switch around because they all 3 rock! I wish I could somehow combine the people from all 3 and do THAT residency.

I just certified my ROL! ...it feels good.

Oops, spoke too soon. That good feeling just left. Now I am already wondering if I should flip-flop two pairs! I don't care if there isn't an official ICD-9 code for this disease - it is as real as pancreatic CA!

tkrd, I so hear ya on wanting to combine a few residencies. I too wish I could do that.

ncc

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I just certified my ROL! ...it feels good.

Oops, spoke too soon. That good feeling just left. Now I am already wondering if I should flip-flop two pairs! I don't care if there isn't an official ICD-9 code for this disease - it is as real as pancreatic CA!

tkrd, I so hear ya on wanting to combine a few residencies. I too wish I could do that.

ncc

Totally with you on the flip-flop thoughts. I just posted a thread on it. The indecisiveness sucks! It only just occurred.

c.bear

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have been recertifying after each flip flop.....

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I keep flip flopping 2 and 3, then recertifying. I guess it's good that my 1 is solid.

drakken

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Done, kept thinking about order of 2 and 3 but never changed them on paper and 1 has never been in question although 1 and 2 are so close. Anyway all done, no regrets, no doubts, it will be what it is. Good luck to all.:thumbup:
Drakken

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.