Romania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whuds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one know about this school in Romania?

http://www.oradeauniversity.com/

Oradea University

They want 2000 euros to apply and Guarantee seat. Is this legit?

Members don't see this ad.

whuds said:

Oradea University

Hello whuds,first of all,where are u from?I am from Romania and it is indeed legal in our country since the university u are asking about is private so u have to pay some taxes in order to apply.Unfortunately,this happenes in private education and for those foreigners who want to apply in Romania there are not enough advantages to attract them.This is 4 now and I hope things will change before I'll make up my mind to leave my beautiful country.

whuds said:

Oradea University

The school is legitimate, but the agent (placement fee) presents a problem.

In addition, I've heard (from a med student from Cluj-Napoca) that corruption is a very significant problem in Romanian medical schools, especially in English language programs.

I recommend considering other options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Miklos said:
The school is legitimate, but the agent (placement fee) presents a problem.

In addition, I've heard (from a med student from Cluj-Napoca) that corruption is a very significant problem in Romanian medical schools, especially in English language programs.

I recommend considering other options.

I'm from the US I had Key Loans for St. Chris but now Key has abandonded us!
I'm looking into schools where I can get US federal Loans at least, Then I may be able to get supplemental loans. I will first apply for TERI and try to stay where I am but......TERI is a son of a @#$% to get sometimes and I'm 41 with a long credit history. FICO of 692 and BK 10 years old Car repossessed but paid off 6years ago so TERI probaly won't lend. KEY did go figure.

I have no current undergrad loans :D

whuds said:
I'm from the US I had Key Loans for St. Chris but now Key has abandonded us!
I'm looking into schools where I can get US federal Loans at least, Then I may be able to get supplemental loans. I will first apply for TERI and try to stay where I am but......TERI is a son of a @#$% to get sometimes and I'm 41 with a long credit history. FICO of 692 and BK 10 years old Car repossessed but paid off 6years ago so TERI probaly won't lend. KEY did go figure.

I have no current undergrad loans :D

Ouch. That's tough.

Regarding Hungarian programs, since you asked on the other thread:

• They all offer Stafford loans up to $18.5k/year. Though, IMO, one may need a little more than this.
  • Your age is probably not a problem, except for Semmelweis. Though, most students in English language programs start around the age of 19.
  • Admission with an undergrad degree is not a problem.
  • They are not designed for American students or for the USMLE in mind. One needs to adapt to the system and the country.
  • Attrition rates are atrocious.
  • They are six years long. Getting credit for past courses may cause problems with certain states come time for licensure.

Yes the One in Hungry replied I could transfer? Don't really know though.
Romania I sent an Email, but seems to be easy to get into? 2000 euros and your in? Well, I could study USMLE while I'm in school if I have to go. Is there a way to get additional private loans while at one of these schools?
Thanx
Bill.

in the EE, i would highly recommend sticking with the hungarian programs, and first fac in prague. the problem at first fac, with funding, is that you pretty much have to make it off the 18500 from staffords. you can go to the other facs in CR, which are cheaper, and in cheaper areas, but you sacrafice the city life, which can be important with a family, and more importantly they do not yet (nor have the applied for) CA approval. now, if you can get the school to apply, history pretty strongly indicates that these programs are acceptable...but, the paperwork and process are no fun

i would strongly recommend looking at the better carib schools, as they seem to have better loan options.

best of luck

BTW, I read an email that a friend of mine got the other day from st chris. they are starting to defer tuition payments for students affected by the Key bank pullout until they can get additional loan programs. You may consider emailing PL and see if that is an option for you as well.

whuds said:
Yes the One in Hungry replied I could transfer? Don't really know though.
Romania I sent an Email, but seems to be easy to get into? 2000 euros and your in? Well, I could study USMLE while I'm in school if I have to go. Is there a way to get additional private loans while at one of these schools?
Thanx
Bill.

I don't believe that Romania participates in the FFEL program. You'd have to call the US DOE foreign school's team to be sure.

From http://www.ed.gov/about/bdscomm/list/ncfmea.html

How do I obtain a list of foreign medical schools that are eligible to participate in the FFEL Program?

For information on which foreign medical schools are eligible to participate in the FFEL Program, contact the Foreign Schools Team at the U.S. Department of Education. The Team's phone number is (202) 377-3168 and fax number is (202) 275-3486.

Regarding additional loans for Hungarian schools, I believe that signature loans are available. But, you'd need to do your own research on this, because I haven't used them.

A last piece of advice: Visit the school, inspect the facilities, speak to the students unsupervised before you commit.

Good luck.

I see Romania is not on the list for Federal Student aid. So the only other place "cheap" would be Hungary and or Czec? Huh? Thank You
Yea My family said they would go back to the states if I did that so I could go on my own.

whuds said:
I see Romania is not on the list for Federal Student aid. So the only other place "cheap" would be Hungary and or Czec? Huh? Thank You
Yea My family said they would go back to the states if I did that so I could go on my own.

If California approval is not important to you and you want to get done quickly without repeating premed sciences (e.g. 6 year programs), you might wish to consider Polish four-year programs. Many (though not all) are eligible for Stafford loans, though you'd also need additional loans to finance it all. The Europe forum at ValueMD has better information on Polish schools than SDN.

Be aware of agents that rip off new students in Romania!!
Hello,

Unfortunately there are many of our collegues& also people form the outside that "help" interested young boys& girls to get admission to Romanian's medical schools and charge them with up to 5000$ for their services.
www.oradeauniversity.com is just one of them!!

I am a medical student in 4th year in Oradea ( romania ), representative of the students body and member of the faculty's council, and I experienced a lot of trouble with those agents of whom the majority doesn't even have a contract with the University and they have no influence on the registration process at any time!

So please, if you are interested to start medical school in any country over the world, contact the desired University directly and don't pay any money to anyone!!
Registration fee in my Uni is 200€ and the study fees are 1.200€ for EU-citizens and 3.600$ for non-europeans. Not more, not less.

For additional Info on my uni search on www.uoradea.ro (official page!)
International medical students association www.aimso.org
Page of the 4th year general medicine: www.captainjoe.info

Friendly regards,
Jan Vollmer
President AIMSO

Hello whuds,first of all,where are u from?I am from Romania and it is indeed legal in our country since the university u are asking about is private so u have to pay some taxes in order to apply.Unfortunately,this happenes in private education and for those foreigners who want to apply in Romania there are not enough advantages to attract them.This is 4 now and I hope things will change before I'll make up my mind to leave my beautiful country.

hello,

please read my other entries for additional info on this uni.
Oradea's University is a state funded university, not private!
Any fees to any agents are a waste of money.
Application is free of charge and can be done directly to the University, from where onwards your papers will be processed to the ministry of education.

Visit www.aimso.org the Assocaition of International Medical Students of Oradea for more informations& questions!
Official website of the University is www.uoradea.ro
On the english version of the page you can find all the required informations for your application.

Best regards,
Jan Vollmer
President AIMSO

hello,

please read my other entries for additional info on this uni.
Oradea's University is a state funded university, not private!
Any fees to any agents are a waste of money.
Application is free of charge and can be done directly to the University, from where onwards your papers will be processed to the ministry of education.

Visit www.aimso.org the Assocaition of International Medical Students of Oradea for more informations& questions!
Official website of the University is www.uoradea.ro
On the english version of the page you can find all the required informations for your application.

Best regards,
Jan Vollmer
President AIMSO

Hey Jan,

could you please help me by answering my thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=490826

Many thanks! I'm a hopeful Oradea applicant for this coming October. *fingers-crossed*

What about the people there in Romania?
Are they still having xenophobia as I experience here in Russia?