Romany count as URM in USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buddhasmash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grandmother was Romany. For those of you unfamiliar with the ethnic group: The Romany people are a traditionally nomadic ethnic group hailing primarily from Europe. We're more commonly known as "gypsies", but most of us consider that particular term to be pejorative.

I know that Romany heritage would be considered a URM in European universities, but what about in the US?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that is not considered a URM. From my understanding only Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Hispanics and American Indians are considered URM.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong..

Honestly, I am not sure if it is or not. My hunch is that it's not.

When you apply through AMCAS, there is no URM box. All you do is you select your race/ethnicity and you might be able to fill in national origin or something like that.

The med. schools. each decide who will be URM and who will not be. I would suggest calling a few and asking them for their opinion. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
My grandmother was Romany. For those of you unfamiliar with the ethnic group: The Romany people are a traditionally nomadic ethnic group hailing primarily from Europe. We're more commonly known as "gypsies", but most of us consider that particular term to be pejorative.

I know that Romany heritage would be considered a URM in European universities, but what about in the US?:confused:

U just gotta put in ur ethnicity/nationality and the schools make the determination about URM status; definitely list socioeconomically disadvantaged IF you are, that considered also.

Gdluck

Doubt it will be. Underrepresented minority is not about not having enough people of that race or ethnicity in medical school. It's about not having enough in comparison to the population of the country. Gypsies are very few in the United States.