Ronald McDonald House

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleaner

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone volunteered there? What did you think of it?

Members don't see this ad.

cleaner, can you please tell me what it is? Is it a clinic or a program or something?

To the best of my knowledge, RMH is a place for the families of critically ill children to stay while the kids are in the hospital so that they can avoid hotel bills. It also provides a support network for the families (via other families, etc.).
I've never thought of doing this, even though we have one here on campus. It definitely sounds like a worthwhile thing, though--especially if you want to get at the humanistic side of health care.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you know of a website or some way to find other locations? that sounds interesting

Here's a page where you can locate RMH's in your area:

<a href="http://www.rmhc.com/about/programs/education/rmh/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.rmhc.com/about/programs/education/rmh/index.html</a>

I know someone who's volunteered there for *years*...not a pre-med either. :wink: She thinks it's great. :)

Good luck! :D
Raina

Btw, here's the info on volunteering at the location nearest me where they describe the type of volunteer activities they have available:

<a href="http://www.rmhcincinnati.org/volunteer.html" target="_blank">http://www.rmhcincinnati.org/volunteer.html</a>

That might give you some idea of what you could do there. :)

Raina

try <a href="http://www.volunteermatch.org" target="_blank">www.volunteermatch.org</a>
all sorts of volunteering and you can pick the location you want to work in. they are pretty good at contacting you when you sign up for a specific thing.

thanks guys, i'll probably be contacting my local RMH this week and I'll try to tell you guys more about it. I actually would like to cook for them! hehe

Hi Cleaner,

When my daugther was critically ill, I lived at the Ron's House for four months. They act as an INVALUABLE resource for parents when their child is ill. Not only that, but they also act as a resting place for parents and their children staying one for two days for outpatient care or tests.

Understand as a volunteer, you are INCREDIBLY valuable to all who you encounter there. Many of these people are undergoing the most stressful event of their lives and you must make their stay as stress free as possible. You will not only be cleaning. Many times Rons House does invaluable services at Xmas time, wrapping gifts and distributing gifts to families. They do great work for families around the holidays..ALL holidays. If I recall, when I lived there while my daugther as sick they gave gourmet heart shaped cookies to everyone..just to lift spirits. At Xmas time they make sure everyone gets a gaggle of gifts..the parents, the patient AND the other children of the parents. (Not just ONE gift, each individual gets several.) Often times, they have charity groups come in and cook a meal or donate some food or pizza. I remember on New Years Eve they bought pizza for everyone. ANYTHING that may make a families stay in the hospital more convienent.

To anyone who is not familiar with a Rons House, it is an amazing charity. One whom I have donated my money too often. (I tried donating time and had a PTSD attack.) If I recall, the room rate is $10 a night, however, it costs $70 to actually keep someone in a room...some people can't even pay $10. I think I payed $5 per night because, well, I wanted to eat. If at all possible, don't just donate your time. Donate something material as well, such as toys, videos, games, puzzles, books, etc. Have a fundraiser where you raise money as well..money is very important to Rons charities.

Donating your time is amazing..it's a great charity and I think you'll get quite a bit out of it.

Alicia

I just wanted to add..it's not a place to get free fries. As a future physician, the "humanistic" side of health care is very important.

Also, something else. They don't just stay there to avoid hotel bills. Believe it or not rich folk, some of them can't PAY hotel bills. They would have to go home and leave their sick child. Some may live far away from the medical center..perhaps five or six hours. They stay there because A.) they can't afford a hotel and B.)They do not wish to leave their child. I didn't. I never left Elizabeths side for four months until I'd said good bye for good.

This charity and volunteering activity is not something to half ass.

Alicia

I agree with Snowballz. If you want to do some volunteering that will make a huge difference in some folks' lives, RMH is one place where you can make that happen. My wife and I stayed in the Omaha RMH for three months when our daughter had her liver transplant. We couldn't have afforded to stay with her if it weren't for RMH.

As for what you can do there as a volunteer, there are many options. While we were in Omaha, some executives from Union Pacific came and brought us Thanksgiving dinner. Many times other people, individuals and groups, did similar things. If it weren't for the volunteers, our daughter would have never met "Santa". I know some of these things sound cheesy, but they can make all the difference when you're in such a situation.

If they had one near enough for me to volunteer I definitely would. I say go for it, it should be a great experience.

Jamier will agree..thank the lord for the Ronald McDonald House. I stayed at the Indianapolis one. They allowed me to be near my daugther. I would have been a wreck if I'd lost more time with her by commuting or not seeing her for a week at a time.

Alicia