1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Rookie User! Accuracy of Kaplan 2015 Full Lengths!?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by kanda1o, Aug 5, 2015.

1. kanda1o

Pre-Medical
    Hey friends!

I'm new here, just signed up actually. And I specifically did so to get some opinions and thoughts on the Kaplan full length exams.

(Yes, I did search threads, but the only ones similar to what I'm looking for was for the older exam..)

I was wondering though, for anyone who took Kaplan full length practice exams, how does it compare to the actual thing? I'm set to take mine Aug 22nd and I've been averaging 498 on all my practice exams (1-5 so far) with my diagnostic exam at 482. My section scores have all been within 1 or 2 points of each other, so I seem fairly evened out between all the subjects.

I'm just curious as to how accurate the FL's on Kaplan's programs are to the real exam. Has anyone recently taken the real thing and was enrolled in a Kaplan course?

Thank you all!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lmladdno84

2+ Year Member

I took the online Kaplan course, and just took my test today. The Kap practice tests are extremely unrepresentative of what you will see on test day. Specifically the bio section. I also saw a bunch of terms in the psych section today that I'd never even heard of through Kaplan. The Kap tests are good for content and timing. One thing I'll say is, the real thing's questions are so much more straight forward. Overall, I feel like I knew my stuff and the Kaplan course definitely helped. Just make sure you do ALL AAMC practice that's available before you sit for your test.

OchemOficionado, kanda1o and Ad2b like this.
  4. lmladdno84

2+ Year Member

And know more about Amino Acids than Kap tells you to

Ad2b likes this.
  5. dushash

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I agree with Imladdno84 - apparently psych section of Kaplan is not complete and this worries me as I just finished it. I don't want to do another psych review from other source all over again, but it looks like I will have to at least watch all Khan videos for psych. :( BTW, Kaplan just released a new set of books and they added 1100 pages in total. I bet most of it is for psych and biochem.
    And as already stated above - do AAMC Q's sets - their Bio is as close to the real thing as it gets.

6. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do tell :)

How'd it go? What do you wish you'd done differently? what are you drinking right now ;)

7. lmladdno84

2+ Year Member

I think it went well. I thought the sciences were pretty straight forward and will be extremely disappointed if I didn't do really well on those. CARS was ok. 2 passages were pretty brutal to read, but I feel pretty decent here. Psych was a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. I'll be happy with a 125.

All in all, it felt pretty good. Nothing I was really uncomfortable with on there.

Unfortunately, I have work in the am, so no drinking tonight. Will most definitely be partaking this weekend though!

Ad2b likes this.
  8. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've heard that about the psych/soc.

9. kanda1o

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, it seems that amino acids are the big topic that shows up on both Bio and Physical sciences. The on demand course I'm in now, it just seems like there isn't much emphasis on them.

What about the math? I hear this 2015 MCAT doesn't do too much physics and math, equations and calculation-based questions. I keep hearing physics is just not that prevalent. Which suits me well, actually.

And also, how do you compare the length of the passages on the real exam compared to the Kaplan FL's? I study on my desktop here at home, which is fairly new and relatively big.. I can't tell if the passages in these FL's are just super short or if it's because the screen I'm on is actually larger than typically testing monitors? I'm kind of freaking out that I'll be so used to these short(ish) passages that my timing will be off when I get to much longer ones if that's how they are on the real exam

10. sara7221997

sara7221997 Zekey17
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Kanda10,
    I scored around this range when I was taking my Kaplan FL,
    Do you mind if I know what you made on the real MCAT, because I wanna get am idea if I need to push my test date?