Rosalind Franklin BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should we attend BMS?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • NO

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Dr. Riblon said that the class is full, I would agree with Blob229. Maybe full means they won't send anymore waitlist or additional acceptance outside of that. In the past there have been many waitlist movements and most of them after the deadline. So don't give up hope.
Did she give you a call? Or an email with that information? I'm currently still waiting for some type of communication and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be expecting a rejection call or an email...

Members don't see this ad.

#1: Depends on whether you have the luxury of another MD school as an option should you decide not to matriculate into CMS. If this is your only option to get into a US MD school, then it wouldn't really matter whether the school is to your liking. Just know that the people here are awesome and willing to help. You just need to hold up your end of the bargain by maintaining good grades.

#2: Not really. I knew that I was going to have to work my butt off going in and place somewhere in the top 50%. It really is a year-long interview so don't do anything stupid over the year and DO NOT screw up the interview. Everything else will pan out on its own. You'll learn along the way. Nothing will be hidden from you and there is no special advice that will give you an edge over other students. Set your mind straight over the summer and be ready to work when you arrive!
I know that I'm coming on this conversation really late, but what do you mean it's a "year-long" interview?

I know that I'm coming on this conversation really late, but what do you mean it's a "year-long" interview?
Some of the faculty teaching you may be the ones interviewing you. You have the opportunity to impress them by hard work and good performance or leave a bad impression by being disrespectful to them or your peers. Also, the school offers extracurricular activities, in some you may again encounter faculty that could interview you. Make sure you are professional and mature enough to be a doctor. This doesn't mean you need to treat them like they're gods or anything, just be realistically good and respect others.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who was recently accepted into RFU Medical School through the RFU BMS program I would strongly recommend this program to any student interested. The course load is tough but if you are focused you will get in. Just make sure you get all A's or B's. I think your past EC's can help but what's more important is your academic performance in the program. You aren't competing against other students you are just proving to the RFU medical school committtee that you are capable of succeeding in the program. Anyways, good luck to you all!
What were your stats? If you don't mind me asking...

Some of the faculty teaching you may be the ones interviewing you. You have the opportunity to impress them by hard work and good performance or leave a bad impression by being disrespectful to them or your peers. Also, the school offers extracurricular activities, in some you may again encounter faculty that could interview you. Make sure you are professional and mature enough to be a doctor. This doesn't mean you need to treat them like they're gods or anything, just be realistically good and respect others.
Oh I see! I thought they did routine interviews or something to vet the students who they wanted to move into the medical class. But that makes much more sense. Thanks!

Hi guys,

Just wanted to check in to see how everyone was doing. Hopefully the application statuses are going well. Those of you who are on waitlist, don't stress too much because, like the my cohorts said, there will be a big turnaround come June/July. Relax and set your mentality straight before you start the BMS year.

By the way, my previous post about my weird stats situation still applies because I recently received my "conditional" acceptance into CMS for the Class of 2019. Those of you who are worried about attending RFU because you have a decent GPA but low MCAT, I'm living proof that it's possible to matriculate into CMS even though these types of programs are traditionally for low GPA with a decent MCAT.

Congrats to the recent acceptances to BMS! I am looking forward to meeting everyone in the near future!

I couldn't find your other post. Did you apply to the BMS program or to their medschool? What was ur MCAT?

If it were me I'd pick Rosalind Franklin BMS in a heartbeat. For one, it's cheaper for tuition and cost of living and two, it has a better linkage to its med school. At Georgetown only 50% get an interview, if I'm not mistaken, whereas everyone in BMS gets an interview. Also, according to Georgetown's website, only about 15% get in every year to their med school whereas BMS has historically had greater than 50% success matriculating into CMS and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon. I'm a current BMSer who got into CMS and there's about 20-25 of us who have gotten in already. The bulk of the acceptances has yet to come out as well. Lastly, if you are able to do well in the SMP at Georgetown and matriculate to Georgetown med, you will be attending a more reputable med school which would make you a more competitive candidate for competitive residencies down the road. If you truly believe that you will be part of the 15% that will get in at Georgetown med, that might be something to think about.
Did you have to retake your MCAT to get into the CMS class?

Did you have to retake your MCAT to get into the CMS class?
Whatever the the MCAT score or undergraduate GPA students had that got them into BMS will get them to CMS, assuming they have perform good during BMS, don't lack extracurricular activities and do good on their interview.

Are any of the accepted BMSers started their AMCAS application for CMS yet? Could you provide us with details on what did you do and when is the best time to send the application?

Are any of the accepted BMSers started their AMCAS application for CMS yet? Could you provide us with details on what did you do and when is the best time to send the application?
I submitted mine yesterday.

For the people who were accepted and planning to attend: where can we find info on logging into WebAdvisor?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who were accepted and planning to attend: where can we find info on logging into WebAdvisor?
They will give you your username and temporary password on first day of your orientation. In case you are planning on coming here earlier than that, you can speak to office of the registrar, I think they will give it to you if they have it ready. I think it might be too soon now.

They will give you your username and temporary password on first day of your orientation. In case you are planning on coming here earlier than that, you can speak to office of the registrar, I think they will give it to you if they have it ready. I think it might be too soon now.
Makes sense! I emailed RFU, but I'm guessing they'll tell me the same thing.

so i checked online, and we need to pay the fall quarter housing and tuition fees by august 7th, but we won't get our webadvisor log in until orientation, which is around the same time.. surely we must be able to access webadvisor earlier, right?

Got accepted last Thursday! Anybody looking for a male roommate still? PM me.

how long did it take to receive an email about financial aid/the school's financial aid packet? I've filled out FAFSA but haven't gotten anything else. I called and left a message and I'm waiting to hear back, just wanted to hear what other people have been told

how long did it take to receive an email about financial aid/the school's financial aid packet? I've filled out FAFSA but haven't gotten anything else. I called and left a message and I'm waiting to hear back, just wanted to hear what other people have been told

I am in the same boat. I completed the checklist and all that good stuff. However, I am still waiting to hear from them! So basically, you are not alone. Ill just work on all the other stuff they sent out today to keep my mind from imploding ...

For those wondering, approximately 57 students got into CMS from BMS and we finished the year at about 94 (give or take a couple).

Reactions: 1 users
I have been waitlisted since march... sent updates periodically..... heard nothing yet. The wait is killing me!

I wonder is we receive an email or phone call if we get off the waitlist. When I called admissions they said they don't call students, but is looks like in past threads that students have received phone call so I'm confused.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to attend other interviews at medical schools while also juggling the BMS program? Maybe a former BMS'er can chime in!?

Do most incoming students apply to other medical schools besides CMS with this program?

I just noticed that the book list is available for fall quarter. Anyone know which books we must have and which ones we shouldn't waste money on?

I just noticed that the book list is available for fall quarter. Anyone know which books we must have and which ones we shouldn't waste money on?
Neuroscience atlas is pretty much the only book you'll need. And that class doesn't start until Spring term. Online courses may be different. I would recommend you ask a someone who has done that specific tract.

Neuroscience atlas is pretty much the only book you'll need. And that class doesn't start until Spring term. Online courses may be different. I would recommend you ask a someone who has done that specific tract.
Is this because the professors summarize the book so well to organize lectures and notes?

Is this because the professors summarize the book so well to organize lectures and notes?
For the most part, every slide that professors have comes with notes underneath it. Books sometimes go beyond the details of you need or not good enough. Each professor wants to focus on specific aspect of a topic and books and the lectures don't always go hand in hand.

Hey guys I was wondering whats the best way to contact someone with an important admissions question for admitted students. Thanks!

Last edited:
So is it safe to say that we shouldn't buy the books until the first week of classes? Or is that something that will be addressed at the orientation? Or is that a question we should ask at orientation? Sorry if it was already addressed, just a little paranoid about being prepared for the program.

So is it safe to say that we shouldn't buy the books until the first week of classes? Or is that something that will be addressed at the orientation? Or is that a question we should ask at orientation? Sorry if it was already addressed, just a little paranoid about being prepared for the program.
There is a time devoted for questions from previous BMS students during the orientation. As far as textbooks go, I took previous BMSer's advice and didn't buy a textbook until Spring term for neuroscience. Professors cite too many different textbooks and it's impossible for you to sniff out the information they want you to know. The notes they provide you has all those information in one place and sufficient enough to ace the exams.

Reactions: 2 users
There is a time devoted for questions from previous BMS students during the orientation. As far as textbooks go, I took previous BMSer's advice and didn't buy a textbook until Spring term for neuroscience. Professors cite too many different textbooks and it's impossible for you to sniff out the information they want you to know. The notes they provide you has all those information in one place and sufficient enough to ace the exams.
Ok then. That eases my nerves a little bit.

I couldn't find your other post. Did you apply to the BMS program or to their medschool? What was ur MCAT?

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been checking SDN as often. I was in this past year's BMS class and matriculated into CMS. MCAT was 22 or 23, I forget exactly; simply had a poor study schedule and thought I could wing it. Terribly wrong.

As far as the year-long interview, just be on your best behavior at all times; this means on and off campus. It's okay to have an opinion, but please be respectful to all faculty and peers. They consider you a professional once you step on campus, so act like one.

All of the advice posted in this thread is for BMS year. iReza already clarified a bunch of questions/concerns so please read the forum carefully. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions. Gluck guys! BMS year is coming up soon! Get ready to work smart because everyone will be working hard, regardless :)

Question for immunizations. Are we required to get MMR and Hep B Titers?

I am asking because Ms. Knox sent out a "Health History and Immunization Matriculation Requirement" email, which states that all CLINICAL programs require the titers. But in the online Certified Profile, the Immunization Matriculation form is for NON-CLINICAL programs and doesn't require those Titers, but just the immunizations.

I'm going to call tomorrow, but I figure somebody else here might have had the same question?

Question for immunizations. Are we required to get MMR and Hep B Titers?

I am asking because Ms. Knox sent out a "Health History and Immunization Matriculation Requirement" email, which states that all CLINICAL programs require the titers. But in the online Certified Profile, the Immunization Matriculation form is for NON-CLINICAL programs and doesn't require those Titers, but just the immunizations.

I'm going to call tomorrow, but I figure somebody else here might have had the same question?

BMS is considered non-clinical. Only immunizations required. Doesn't hurt to call and make sure though.

BMS is considered non-clinical. Only immunizations required. Doesn't hurt to call and make sure though.
Hey stran1989,
I PM you. Could you please reply when you get chance. Thanks

Hey stran1989,
I PM you. Could you please reply when you get a chance. Thanks

I guess very minimal waitlist movement this year...

Hello,
I'm a Canadian with a 3.55 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa. I'm going to write my mcat in early jan of 2016.

1) I wanted to know my chances of getting into this SMP.

2) I was wondering if they were any Canadian students in your smp. Did they get into CMS?

3) Does CMS discriminate against BMSers who are Canadian when you apply for their med school?

Hello,
I'm a Canadian with a 3.55 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa. I'm going to write my mcat in early jan of 2016.

1) I wanted to know my chances of getting into this SMP.

2) I was wondering if they were any Canadian students in your smp. Did they get into CMS?

3) Does CMS discriminate against BMSers who are Canadian when you apply for their med school?

You have a great shot of getting in with that GPA. Also BMS is Canadian friendly, I know a handful of Canadians who made it to CMS from the BMS program.

Reactions: 1 users