Rosalind Franklin BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should we attend BMS?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • NO

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
congrats guys! see you in the fall

now that school in done, any updates on CMS admission for the BMSers? last post on here was about 50-accepted 20-rejeted and 20-still waiting to hear back for this years BMS class..

Members don't see this ad.

congrats guys! see you in the fall

now that school in done, any updates on CMS admission for the BMSers? last post on here was about 50-accepted 20-rejeted and 20-still waiting to hear back for this years BMS class..

Our finals were yesterday, final grades should be posted and admissions meeting to discuss whoever is left hopefully by early next week. Perhaps we will have a relatively final count by next Friday or soon thereafter.

Reactions: 1 user
When filling out AMCAS, how do we enter BMS coursework? I know we list them as future coursework, but I haven't received a curriculum from the school. I could enter them the same way they are listed under the curriculum portion of their website, I just don't know which track courses I will be in.

Members don't see this ad :)
When filling out AMCAS, how do we enter BMS coursework? I know we list them as future coursework, but I haven't received a curriculum from the school. I could enter them the same way they are listed under the curriculum portion of their website, I just don't know which track courses I will be in.
I emailed Professor Riblon w/ this same question and this is what she told me:

"The information you are looking for is at the following link:
www.rosalindfranklin.edu/chp/biomedicalsciences/Program.aspx

You should list all the courses for each quarter that are labelled as All Students and then locate the Public Health Emphasis courses in the list for each quarter. There is one in the Fall, two in the Winter and one in the Spring. Note that Medical Biochemistry has A and B at the end of the course number because it is taken in Fall (A) and Winter (B) with a seperate credit allocation for each quarter so you either have to list it separately by quarter or once with the total credits. Medical Physiology, and Topics in Physiology are the same with A, B and C (for Spring). Interprofessional Healthcare is the same with A, B and C. It is the only Pass/Fail course. All others are letter grades based on the final percentage you earn in the class. This is a difference for the medical students you will have classes with. The first two years for CMS students are Pass/Fail. BMS needs letter grades in order to meet the conditions of and grant the masters degree. The course syllabi will have seperate sections for BMS and CMS students that explain what is needed for a specific grade in the class even though everyone has the same exams. "

I applied for BMS w/ an emphasis in public health, which is why she told me to list those courses, but the track that you're in is the one you selected when you applied. Hope that helps!

You should list all the courses for each quarter that are labelled as All Students and then locate the Public Health Emphasis courses in the list for each quarter. There is one in the Fall, two in the Winter and one in the Spring. Note that Medical Biochemistry has A and B at the end of the course number because it is taken in Fall (A) and Winter (B) with a seperate credit allocation for each quarter so you either have to list it separately by quarter or once with the total credits. Medical Physiology, and Topics in Physiology are the same with A, B and C (for Spring). Interprofessional Healthcare is the same with A, B and C. It is the only Pass/Fail course. All others are letter grades based on the final percentage you earn in the class. This is a difference for the medical students you will have classes with. The first two years for CMS students are Pass/Fail. BMS needs letter grades in order to meet the conditions of and grant the masters degree. The course syllabi will have seperate sections for BMS and CMS students that explain what is needed for a specific grade in the class even though everyone has the same exams. "

I applied for BMS w/ an emphasis in public health, which is why she told me to list those courses, but the track that you're in is the one you selected when you applied. Hope that helps!

I just don't know which track courses I will be in.

The problem is that they do not know what track they will be in. My understanding is that most people get the track that they select, though. It's future, anticipated coursework, so you don't actually have a problem if it changes... since it hasn't actually happened yet.

My advice would be to list what you expect and if it really matters (and changes), then explain when you send grade updates. Again, my understanding is that all the online tracks are relatively similar (same number of credits, all should be easy A's if you do the work (some is time consuming, deal with it)... they don't matter unless you DON'T get A's, etc...). Unfortunately, I have no idea how other schools look at the classes (online, TIPs, etc...). But I can't imagine unsubstantiated future coursework holds THAT much of a weight in admissions for schools other than CMS (coming from BMS). You're just any other applicant to them... they'll look at your AMCAS GPA, MCAT, and ECs.

If any other BMS had a different experience or disagree, let me know, this is purely my experience/opinion.

If you are only applying to CMS just wait until you know for sure (might be orientation), there is zero admissions advantage to submitting early. It is more convenient to have your secondaries done, but you can find the prompts and just have them ready for when you do hit submit.

If you are applying outside of CMS, I would just pick the track classes for whichever one you selected as your first choice, I think this past year everyone got their first choice except for social medicine which got cancelled. Better to update it if necessary than delay your app, but the bottom line is it's going to be irrelevant anyway, you'll still be taking basically the same credits worth of courses, just different names.

I highly recommend the public health track. If you're even remotely knowledgeable on the structure of healthcare and can write a decent essay from stream of consciousness, it will be a cakewalk.

The problem is that they do not know what track they will be in. My understanding is that most people get the track that they select, though. It's future, anticipated coursework, so you don't actually have a problem if it changes... since it hasn't actually happened yet.

My advice would be to list what you expect and if it really matters (and changes), then explain when you send grade updates. Again, my understanding is that all the online tracks are relatively similar (same number of credits, all should be easy A's if you do the work (some is time consuming, deal with it)... they don't matter unless you DON'T get A's, etc...). Unfortunately, I have no idea how other schools look at the classes (online, TIPs, etc...). But I can't imagine unsubstantiated future coursework holds THAT much of a weight in admissions for schools other than CMS (coming from BMS). You're just any other applicant to them... they'll look at your AMCAS GPA, MCAT, and ECs.

If any other BMS had a different experience or disagree, let me know, this is purely my experience/opinion.
I would echo Blob229's thoughts on this. It's future coursework so it's not set in stone. You have the major (medical) courses in there for sure, so that's fine, and 99% chance you'll get your track of choice. Fill out AMCAS for that track, and you should be fine. I think (personally) submitting your AMCAS, secondaries, etc AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE is the best way to go. There is TECHNICALLY no benefit submitting CMS apps early, but A) I still liked having it out of the way before reaching here (you will get busy, FAST), and B) Why risk delaying the rest of your app (assuming you're applying to other schools). I'm sure the future work that isn't medical school courses is looked at pretty lightly anyways (as Blob mentioned too).

-LF

Thanks!! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know Biochem was 2 quarters and Physio was 3 quarters. This is going to be a busy year, I'm excited though!!

If you are only applying to CMS just wait until you know for sure (might be orientation), there is zero admissions advantage to submitting early. It is more convenient to have your secondaries done, but you can find the prompts and just have them ready for when you do hit submit.

If you are applying outside of CMS, I would just pick the track classes for whichever one you selected as your first choice, I think this past year everyone got their first choice except for social medicine which got cancelled. Better to update it if necessary than delay your app, but the bottom line is it's going to be irrelevant anyway, you'll still be taking basically the same credits worth of courses, just different names.

I highly recommend the public health track. If you're even remotely knowledgeable on the structure of healthcare and can write a decent essay from stream of consciousness, it will be a cakewalk.

I'm applying to my state schools. That's the only reason I want to submit early. I figured the track courses wouldn't matter too much to these schools. I just didn't want to have to explain why some of the classes changed if I didn't get the track I want. I applied to the business track. I have a business degree, so I figured it wouldn't be too difficult. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Thanks!! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know Biochem was 2 quarters and Physio was 3 quarters. This is going to be a busy year, I'm excited though!!

I'm applying to my state schools. That's the only reason I want to submit early. I figured the track courses wouldn't matter too much to these schools. I just didn't want to have to explain why some of the classes changed if I didn't get the track I want. I applied to the business track. I have a business degree, so I figured it wouldn't be too difficult. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Yeah then just put whatever track you planned on and submit it. You can always change it later, and it's just basically a course name change, not like you are dropping a whole semester of classes you told them you planned to take.

Schools will not care whether you took a public health or business online track class whatsoever.

Verified today by RFUCAS- it seems like they have gotten a lot more efficient on that end. I submitted on 5/21 so they basically verified me in 2 business days. Considering users talked about 4-6 weeks earlier this year, it's been a huge improvement. Hoping to hear back within the next week or so.

got an acceptance call yesterday! submitted on 5/4/15. can't wait to meet y'all!

Just received acceptance email, 1 week after acceptance phone call!

Just received the acceptance phone call. However, I am torn because I was also accepted to Midwestern's one year bms program as well. I am pursuing into dental medicine and looking to see if anyone can provide some feedback. I have a 3.05 cgpa and 2.98 sgpa, 2 years shadowing and month of overseas volunteering. I also worked as a quality consultant for 4 years. I know there is a connection between rosalind bms for can but that doesn't apply to me. However they have an academic study program that may help me transition into school mode. Midwestern also has a guarantee into dental school I'd I manage 3.5 (not too sure) in their program. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the acceptance phone call. However, I am torn because I was also accepted to Midwestern's one year bms program as well. I am pursuing into dental medicine and looking to see if anyone can provide some feedback. I have a 3.05 cgpa and 2.98 sgpa, 2 years shadowing and month of overseas volunteering. I also worked as a quality consultant for 4 years. I know there is a connection between rosalind bms for can but that doesn't apply to me. However they have an academic study program that may help me transition into school mode. Midwestern also has a guarantee into dental school I'd I manage 3.5 (not too sure) in their program. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.
When were you complete?

So, Midwestern's BMS program has a linkage/guarantee with their dental school and you're interested in going to dental school, not medical school, correct? RFU BMS does not have a linkage with a dental school, to my knowledge. To me, this is a no-brainer. Go to the program that is most likely to help you with your goals, which in your case sounds like it is getting into dental school. Based on what you wrote, Midwestern's program sounds like a better fit for your situation.

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about Midwestern's program and am purely assuming what you wrote is correct.)

does anyone know where we submit immunization forms/background check? We're supposed to get an email regarding these things right? Has anyone received it yet?

does anyone know where we submit immunization forms/background check? We're supposed to get an email regarding these things right? Has anyone received it yet?
They will send you an email with a link. In that email, they will also send you a code for RFUMS which you will use to create an account on that web site. There will be a list of things which you can upload files on and order your criminal background check.

The reason the numbers on the linkage are not clear is because it's very hard to predict. As of now (after a third wave) I would estimate some 30-35 people are in out of ~90-95 remaining people there is one more test in two medical subjects remaining. Last year the count was around 62-63 of... I want to say 107. But it's very clear from all the students here that things change every year. I heard a rumor one year was ~95% a long time ago. The ups and downs from year to year mean we can never tell you "yeah, BMS has a 70% linkage"

There was a year when it was about 95% and the result was a dismal match rating for BMS students (failing to match or repeating M3 year) I know what guy who got in with 2 C's..anways that is the past....I think the weaker linkage is due to a combination of higher quality students applying and a professor who is not so keen on CMS-linkage (which she clearly voiced multiple times during a curriculum meeting)

what happened with the other 20 students waiting to hear back from cms?
last week it was said 50 in / 20 out / 20 waiting.. did they get a decision?
?

what happened with the other 20 students waiting to hear back from cms?
last week it was said 50 in / 20 out / 20 waiting.. did they get a decision?
?
I think they're still waiting to hear back

did anybody else apply to Toledo MSBS program? if accepted to both how are you going to choose? :)

Thank you guys were helping me clear up my decision. I was looking to see out of the 2014-2015 and the current 2015-2016 BMS graduates were pre-dental? For the 2014-2015 year, did you guys end up getting in? If so, what were your grades like? Thank you guys in advance as always

Hello Everyone,

I was just notified that I will be placed on the wait list.

If anyone has any information or personal experiences regarding my situation I would very much appreciate your input.

Thanks
Hi there, have you heard anything since you were notified that you were wait listed? I got wait listed today.

Thank you guys were helping me clear up my decision. I was looking to see out of the 2014-2015 and the current 2015-2016 BMS graduates were pre-dental? For the 2014-2015 year, did you guys end up getting in? If so, what were your grades like? Thank you guys in advance as always

I only know of one person who finished the program who was pre-dental. I heard that this particular student did get into dental school although I do not know where. That being said it might be of your benefit to attend the Midwestern program as it is affiliated with a dental school as opposed to BMS which is predominately for those wanting to matriculate into CMS and the PA program.

How long after being accepted do you get an email stating where you can start submitting things ? Thanks

Can any BMS/CMS students please comment more on RFU's location? Reading around on here most people describe the location as being in the middle of nowhere/45 minutes outside of Chicago. I get that during the 3rd/4th year most people move to Chicago for rotations, but what do BMS/M1/M2's do in their spare time around town?

Overall, I'm trying to ask did you find your BMS/M1/M2 years enjoyable location-wise? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

does anyone know when we will get an email about on-campus housing/housing in general, if ever?

They extend the deadline to 6/30 for application submissions

Do students generally have a good chance of getting into this program from the waitlist? Any thoughts on the waitlist?

I got in off the waitlist in July last year as did others. It's still very early, just be patient.

did anybody else apply to Toledo MSBS program? if accepted to both how are you going to choose? :)

I have also applied to Toledo's MSBS program. I applied back in March, but haven't heard anything back from them yet, have you? And to answer your question, I am leaning more towards RFU, how about you? I am not as familiar with the MSBS program as I am with RFU.

I have also applied to Toledo's MSBS program. I applied back in March, but haven't heard anything back from them yet, have you? And to answer your question, I am leaning more towards RFU, how about you? I am not as familiar with the MSBS program as I am with RFU.

I'm torn between these two programs as well; I got into both, and I'm not sure which one to choose at the moment. But if you guys don't have a preference on either medical school, Toledo's program has a stronger linkage and cheaper tuition, from my understanding.

If anyone has any advice on how to choose between the two, or any personal insight on the individual programs, please PM me!

If I am accepted, what would I have to do to get a loan? How does the process work? I haven't filled out a FAFSA yet, should I go ahead and do that now in case I am accepted in June/July? Or, would you recommend waiting until I am accepted to fill out a FAFSA (until say... July)? It says the federal deadline to file a FAFSA is june 30th for this year. Does this mean that I will not be eligible to get a loan for this $50k program if I don't fill it out before that? If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please share your thoughts/responses...

If I am accepted, what would I have to do to get a loan? How does the process work? I haven't filled out a FAFSA yet, should I go ahead and do that now in case I am accepted in June/July? Or, would you recommend waiting until I am accepted to fill out a FAFSA (until say... July)? It says the federal deadline to file a FAFSA is june 30th for this year. Does this mean that I will not be eligible to get a loan for this $50k program if I don't fill it out before that? If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please share your thoughts/responses...
Last year I got accepted late July and submitted my FAFSA about two days later. Everything was fine. I think you should wait and see what happens before starting your application.

Hey guys, I'm an incoming M2 (previous M1A) looking for a male roommate this fall. The place is at woodlands (walking distance) and is 2B/1B. The rent is approx 570/month. Let me know if you are interested!

Last edited:
Last year I got accepted late July and submitted my FAFSA about two days later. Everything was fine. I think you should wait and see what happens before starting your application.
Did you find housing in time or were you already located close to campus when you got accepted in late July last year? I live about 45 minutes away and am unsure about whether I need to look at housing close to Rosalind Franklin. I was wait listed last week.

Did you find housing in time or were you already located close to campus when you got accepted in late July last year? I live about 45 minutes away and am unsure about whether I need to look at housing close to Rosalind Franklin. I was wait listed last week.
When I contacted the school couple days after getting accepted, I was told that they were full with their housings. I got an email 2 days before the orientation from the school, telling me they had a new spot open up. I took it. Otherwise, I would have taken some other place nearby because my own home was about an hour drive. I am not sure whether this is something that happens every year or I just got lucky. I would suggest you to wait for now. There were many options around the school addition to woodlands and Navy housing. If you have a car, it shouldn't be a problem.

Just declined RFU program offer and went with Midwestern. I hope those who are waiting receive good news!

When I contacted the school couple days after getting accepted, I was told that they were full with their housings. I got an email 2 days before the orientation from the school, telling me they had a new spot open up. I took it. Otherwise, I would have taken some other place nearby because my own home was about an hour drive. I am not sure whether this is something that happens every year or I just got lucky. I would suggest you to wait for now. There were many options around the school addition to woodlands and Navy housing. If you have a car, it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for that info. Once you got housing, how did you pay for it?

Hey guys! I am an incoming BMSer looking for a roommate. The apartment is in the Navy housing community across the street from RFU campus. 2BR1Bath, $450/month per person. Message me if interested. Cheers!

Hi all. I've heard stories that this program is "cutthroat" and not to expect to make many friends. Is there any truth to this?

Hi all. I've heard stories that this program is "cutthroat" and not to expect to make many friends. Is there any truth to this?
Hahahahahahahahah, I don't know where you got that information, but it's the furthest thing away from the truth. You're not competing against each other, the curve is set by the M1s.

Love how much activity there is on this thread.

So apparently about 50-60% of the BMS class is accepted into CMS. What about the other 40%? Are most people accepted into other med schools or are their applications simply not considered competitive?

Also, is this program widely regarded by other schools or is it only useful for getting into CMS?