Rosalind Franklin BMS 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can someone describe what the conditional offer means and how that is granted after you interview for CMS during the year?

I believe the acceptance process into CMS is the same as outside applicants outside of BMS, meaning you will be evaluated equally in the interview stage to be accepted. But if you are coming from BMS you need to maintain a certain grade level post-acceptance for the offer to stand (just don't fail).

There is no guarantee of acceptance from BMS, only a guaranteed interview if you maintain a 3.0 in BMS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the acceptance process into CMS is the same as outside applicants outside of BMS, meaning you will be evaluated equally in the interview stage to be accepted. But if you are coming from BMS you need to maintain a certain grade level post-acceptance for the offer to stand (just don't fail).

There is no guarantee of acceptance from BMS, only a guaranteed interview if you maintain a 3.0 in BMS.

"just dont fail" is a little too lax, dont get a C is the golden rule after your conditional acceptance, and this year that rule was pretty much set in stone.

does that mean if you get mostly As and Bs and have a solid interview, you are pretty much set on getting into CMS? Im just trying to make sure there are no gaps/flaws in the program such as people getting straight As with good interview not getting into CMS?...that being said, would anyone say that this program is probably the gold standard for getting into medical school as compared to all the other SMP programs in the country?

Members don't see this ad :)
"just dont fail" is a little too lax, dont get a C is the golden rule after your conditional acceptance, and this year that rule was pretty much set in stone.

Thanks for clearing that up! C's do not earn MD's this time hahaha

does that mean if you get mostly As and Bs and have a solid interview, you are pretty much set on getting into CMS? Im just trying to make sure there are no gaps/flaws in the program such as people getting straight As with good interview not getting into CMS?...that being said, would anyone say that this program is probably the gold standard for getting into medical school as compared to all the other SMP programs in the country?

Being honest, the gold standard is technically Georgetown I believe as it was the first SMP and is usually very competitive along with Boston, Tufts, and Cincinnati. (This is all opinion based on the the research I've done myself, so grain of salt)

BUT this seems to be a very solid program with a lot of upside, so that's why I am attending. People give it great reviews within the research I've done. When I was admitted I didn't bother to update Georgetown or Boston which I was very interested in, but not quite as competitive stats wise when I applied. This program produces successful students and that tells me it'll do the same for myself.

Thanks for clearing that up! C's do not earn MD's this time hahaha

Being honest, the gold standard is technically Georgetown I believe as it was the first SMP and is usually very competitive along with Boston, Tufts, and Cincinnati. (This is all opinion based on the the research I've done myself, so grain of salt)

BUT this seems to be a very solid program with a lot of upside, so that's why I am attending. People give it great reviews within the research I've done. When I was admitted I didn't bother to update Georgetown or Boston which I was very interested in, but not quite as competitive stats wise when I applied. This program produces successful students and that tells me it'll do the same for myself.

To put it this way, I was accepted to BU's MAMS program and am definitely going to the BMS program in August.

One way I made my decision is the fact that 30 out of the 150 MAMS students get into BU, they have no guaranteed interview, and you don't take classes with med students (you take classes taught by the same professors, that's it). I didn't even bother with Georgetown since they offer 15 or so out of the 100 students seats at Georgetown's med school. Also, while you technically take med school classes, they are all live streamed, which sounds a little ridiculous to me.

RFU's BMS program boasts that 70 percent of its students get into CMS, and we all get guaranteed interviews at CMS. The linkage is clearly strongest at RFU in my opinion. Maybe it's a littler stronger at cincinatti's program, or temple's, but RFU is plenty strong for me.

Reactions: 1 users
To put it this way, I was accepted to BU's MAMS program and am definitely going to the BMS program in August.

One way I made my decision is the fact that 30 out of the 150 MAMS students get into BU, they have no guaranteed interview, and you don't take classes with med students (you take classes taught by the same professors, that's it). I didn't even bother with Georgetown since they offer 15 or so out of the 100 students seats at Georgetown's med school. Also, while you technically take med school classes, they are all live streamed, which sounds a little ridiculous to me.

RFU's BMS program boasts that 70 percent of its students get into CMS, and we all get guaranteed interviews at CMS. The linkage is clearly strongest at RFU in my opinion. Maybe it's a littler stronger at cincinatti's program, or temple's, but RFU is plenty strong for me.

so I believe it's 60-70% as per reported by an administrative representative. What I'm unsure of are whether this is in reference to the total pool of BMS students or those that just complete AMCAS apps to CMS. Any idea? The percentage range is also why I prayed so hard to get in I really don't want to go through the mcat again and this seemed like the best option for a school that really supports its students and creates a space to nurture academic growth. That being said, how difficult is it to maintain A's and B's? For those that have completed the program successfully, what are keys to studying that would promote acceptance into the med school?

Reactions: 1 user
When do BMS classes start? The orientation is August 8-11?

so I believe it's 60-70% as per reported by an administrative representative. What I'm unsure of are whether this is in reference to the total pool of BMS students or those that just complete AMCAS apps to CMS. Any idea? The percentage range is also why I prayed so hard to get in I really don't want to go through the mcat again and this seemed like the best option for a school that really supports its students and creates a space to nurture academic growth. That being said, how difficult is it to maintain A's and B's? For those that have completed the program successfully, what are keys to studying that would promote acceptance into the med school?
So from what I have gathered, around 70 percent of those who finish the program are granted admission to the medical school. I never asked about how many of those people actually applied to medical school or not. An administration rep told me that around 20 or so people drop out of the program each year for various reasons (either getting into another med school, they can't afford it, or they get a C in a class etc), and out of the remaining 80 people or so, around 70% should get into CMS (~55 people).

The reason why i'm going to this school is because of this percentage range. Believe me, I'm from the state of Virginia and Georgetown's program would have been much much much closer for me, and around the same cost, but I'm choosing to make the half day drive to RFU because of their numbers.

As for maintaining A's and B's/succeeding in the program, just look back in this thread because I have asked that exact question to those that have completed the program. You are graded against medical school averages, and you must get A's and B's, so you can't be below the average... And basically you have to show yourself around campus (participate in clubs, get to know med students and professors), and finally do amazing on the interview, and you should be good with regards to getting into CMS.

I believe classes start on August 14th

So from what I have gathered, around 70 percent of those who finish the program are granted admission to the medical school. I never asked about how many of those people actually applied to medical school or not. An administration rep told me that around 20 or so people drop out of the program each year for various reasons (either getting into another med school, they can't afford it, or they get a C in a class etc), and out of the remaining 80 people or so, around 70% should get into CMS (~55 people).

The reason why i'm going to this school is because of this percentage range. Believe me, I'm from the state of Virginia and Georgetown's program would have been much much much closer for me, and around the same cost, but I'm choosing to make the half day drive to RFU because of their numbers.

As for maintaining A's and B's/succeeding in the program, just look back in this thread because I have asked that exact question to those that have completed the program. You are graded against medical school averages, and you must get A's and B's, so you can't be below the average... And basically you have to show yourself around campus (participate in clubs, get to know med students and professors), and finally do amazing on the interview, and you should be good with regards to getting into CMS.

I believe classes start on August 14th

Yes, classes do start on 14th of August!

I've already submitted my AMCAS app to CMS, because I was planning on applying broadly this cycle while at BMS so I wanted to be early, but I'm having second thoughts about that plan now.

Did people who ended up attending other MD programs apply the same cycle as BMS or did they wait until the following cycle?

My plan was to apply to ~30 schools and update with first trimester grades as I got them from BMS, however half the internet is now shouting at me saying that's a horrible plan and no one will take me. I have a decent MCAT and meh GPA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've already submitted my AMCAS app to CMS, because I was planning on applying broadly this cycle while at BMS so I wanted to be early, but I'm having second thoughts about that plan now.

Did people who ended up attending other MD programs apply the same cycle as BMS or did they wait until the following cycle?

My plan was to apply to ~30 schools and update with first trimester grades as I got them from BMS, however half the internet is now shouting at me saying that's a horrible plan and no one will take me. I have a decent MCAT and meh GPA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Only thing you'll lose is time and money. Probably worth a shot if your stats are good enough to get you an interview or within 10% of the school's minimum GPA of matriculants.

I heard most BMS kids get into CMS so I wouldn't expect this program to help too much esp with only first set of grades. I'm going to apply early to CMS and my state schools only. Would be ecstatic if I get into the state schools due to cheap tuition, but I'm going into the program thinking that if I do well in BMS and the interview, I'll be able to get into CMS

I think thats a great plan, and is exactly what I did as well last year. If your goal is to start med school in 2018, then do exactly what you are doing.

Hey, everyone! For those of you who may not be aware, I think that all applicants to CMS must take the CASPer exam as part of the admissions process. If this is the case, I would recommend that you begin familiarizing yourselves with exam as soon as possible so you know what to expect in terms of content and preparation. Also, I think there are only a few registration dates (at least that's how it was when I took the exam last year). Feel free to ask any clarifying questions that come to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, everyone! For those of you who may not be aware, I think that all applicants to CMS must take the CASPer exam as part of the admissions process. If this is the case, I would recommend that you begin familiarizing yourselves with exam as soon as possible so you know what to expect in terms of content and preparation. Also, I think there are only a few registration dates (at least that's how it was when I took the exam last year). Feel free to ask any clarifying questions that come to mind.

Thanks for the information! Could you let us know briefly what they test on the CASPer? I'm looking on the website as well and was wondering do you have to go to a testing center to take it? How does it all work? And can you take it anytime? Thank you!

Thanks for the information! Could you let us know briefly what they test on the CASPer? I'm looking on the website as well and was wondering do you have to go to a testing center to take it? How does it all work? And can you take it anytime? Thank you!

The CASPer exam is sort of like an online version of an MMI interview in which you, the examinee, will be presented with scenarios to either read or watch and then asked to respond to the prompts that follow. The exam covers a range of topics and essentially test one's ability to resolve conflict, make ethical decisions, and communicate effectively. You get a certain amount of time to watch a video scenario or read a prompt and then more time after that to answer a set of thought-provoking questions (usually 2-3) that get you to analyze the situation and think critically. The timing was the tricky part when I took it, as the exam forces you to be confident with your typing skills as well as your ability to organize your thoughts in a clear, succinct manner. Unless things have changed, you do not take the exam at a specific testing center, but rather from the comfort of your own home. You register for the exam and send a picture of yourself, which will be used to confirm your identity when you actually take the test. I don't think you can take it whenever you'd like, despite the fact that you take it from home and not at a testing center. Each question on the exam is scored by a separate individual grader to reduce the possibility of a grading bias. There are specific dates and times for which you can register (last year they were spaced uncomfortably far apart, so plan accordingly). The results are NOT made available to the examinee (only the admission committee sees them) and will be used to assess the candidacy of applicants during the admissions cycle. Hope this answers some of your questions!

Hey, I have a question for past BMSers. Did any of you have interviews for other medical schools during the program? If so how did that work? Were you able to miss school to travel to the interviews and such? Did it negatively affect your performance? I'm just worried about that if I do get interviews from other schools, but CMS is definitely my priority so my main goal is to do well in the BMS courses. Thanks!

Hey, I have a question for past BMSers. Did any of you have interviews for other medical schools during the program? If so how did that work? Were you able to miss school to travel to the interviews and such? Did it negatively affect your performance? I'm just worried about that if I do get interviews from other schools, but CMS is definitely my priority so my main goal is to do well in the BMS courses. Thanks!
It's very doable, with a lot of planning and studying ahead. Since the Med classes are not attendance based you can skip them and watch lectures later, the only thing you'd have to worry about is TIPS and HIPS our two mandatory classes that happen once a week, and it's best to schedule interviews a week or two before an exam because you don't want the interviews to mess up your CMS grades

Hey guys, since the 2016-17 year is over can anyone put out stats on approximately how many BMSers got into CMS. And of those that didn't what were factors that contributed in a rejection/ not being accepted. Thank you!

I got an acceptance email this morning. Honestly I had been leaning towards doing this program, but my parents do not like the idea at all. They'd rather have me go to SGU because to them its more of a sure thing. Of course the pressure would be on because if I do go here and don't get in next year then I've totally screwed myself. In case you're wondering my GPA is 2.9 (I did do like 30 units of post-back already and got 3.5) and MCAT 501. Do you think it would be worth it to study for the next two months and take the 9/9 exam (that's the last one they accept)?

I got an acceptance email this morning. Honestly I had been leaning towards doing this program, but my parents do not like the idea at all. They'd rather have me go to SGU because to them its more of a sure thing. Of course the pressure would be on because if I do go here and don't get in next year then I've totally screwed myself. In case you're wondering my GPA is 2.9 (I did do like 30 units of post-back already and got 3.5) and MCAT 501. Do you think it would be worth it to study for the next two months and take the 9/9 exam (that's the last one they accept)?

Once the school year starts for RFU, I would focus all your energy into that. Juggling the MCAT and school work sounds like a recipe for disaster with both not turning out that well. The past posts from previous BMSers seem to imply that if we were accepted with our stats, as long as we do well in the coursework (As & Bs) and the interview, that we should be able to gain an acceptance to CMS. We should go in with the mindset of getting all As and if we happen to miss that goal, then we will still be okay with Bs.

I think SGU will be available for you next year even if you don't go this year. Maybe they have a defer option? Any chance you would consider DO schools?

If you don't mind me asking, when was your application complete?

Juggling the MCAT and school work sounds like a recipe for disaster with both not turning out that well.
Well if I take the MCAT 9/9 then there would only be a few weeks overlap of studying for the exam plus classes. Maybe that's manageable.

The past posts from previous BMSers seem to imply that if we were accepted with our stats, as long as we do well in the coursework (As & Bs) and the interview, that we should be able to gain an acceptance to CMS.
I am confident I can get good grades but it just makes me nervous when I read "seem to imply" and "should be able to gain an acceptance". I'd prefer something more official given the stakes. By doing the program I'm betting big time on myself that I will get into RFU, otherwise I just blew another year and all that tuition money. I'm already 25 so I really don't want to put off starting medical school past next year.

If you don't mind me asking, when was your application complete?
On 6/5 I got an email saying my application was complete and ready for review.

Well if I take the MCAT 9/9 then there would only be a few weeks overlap of studying for the exam plus classes. Maybe that's manageable.

I am confident I can get good grades but it just makes me nervous when I read "seem to imply" and "should be able to gain an acceptance". I'd prefer something more official given the stakes. By doing the program I'm betting big time on myself that I will get into RFU, otherwise I just blew another year and all that tuition money. I'm already 25 so I really don't want to put off starting medical school past next year.

On 6/5 I got an email saying my application was complete and ready for review.

The only guarantee SMP with Med acceptance that I know of is Temple, and getting into that is basically the same as getting into Med school. If you are confident in yourself , this program allows you the opportunity to prove yourself in front of an adcom. Do well in your classes, do well in the interview (where a few good students lost their chances) and you will be rewarded, obviously easier said than done. I know of one or two students that took the MCAT a month or two into classes, it is very difficult because of the courseload and adjustment that is necessary the first month to properly study, doable but highly suggest avoiding that if at all possible.

I did BMS this past year and I had a few interviews elsewhere and honestly it really sucked. My interviews came towards the end of the cycle in March, right when BMS was starting neuro, and I had little flexibility in scheduling or studying. I had to fly to two interviews in two different states the week of the first neuro exam. Luckily those interviews turned into acceptances but at the time I kept questioning if I should even go, or stay and focus on neuro, which I was already behind on.

There was some talk about acceptance numbers earlier, I don't know how many acceptances there were this year, but the 50-70% is based on those who applied to cms and finished BMS. We had ~98 start, ~10 dropped immediately, others along the way, finished with ~75 graduating. Of those 75, there were some dental and podiatry applicants, and a few people who were waiting until they were done with the program to apply. If no one has more accurate numbers, I'd guess around 40-45 people were accepted. I personally was not accepted, and I know some others weren't as well. Its a risk that paid off for some, and didn't for others.

I did BMS this past year and I had a few interviews elsewhere and honestly it really sucked. My interviews came towards the end of the cycle in March, right when BMS was starting neuro, and I had little flexibility in scheduling or studying. I had to fly to two interviews in two different states the week of the first neuro exam. Luckily those interviews turned into acceptances but at the time I kept questioning if I should even go, or stay and focus on neuro, which I was already behind on.

There was some talk about acceptance numbers earlier, I don't know how many acceptances there were this year, but the 50-70% is based on those who applied to cms and finished BMS. We had ~98 start, ~10 dropped immediately, others along the way, finished with ~75 graduating. Of those 75, there were some dental and podiatry applicants, and a few people who were waiting until they were done with the program to apply. If no one has more accurate numbers, I'd guess around 40-45 people were accepted. I personally was not accepted, and I know some others weren't as well. Its a risk that paid off for some, and didn't for others.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you think was the reason why you weren't accepted to CMS?

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think was the reason why you weren't accepted to CMS?
I got a C in one of the med school courses. It was one of the first classes and I considered dropping from the program when it happened but I was .05% away from it being a B and was advised that the adcom would overlook it because they had access to our percentages and it was so close. It seemed like a lot of people ended up with a C, I don't know if any of them ended up accepted, but the ones that I know did not. I also know someone who had straight As but did poorly on the interview and was rejected. As far as I know, once you are in BMS they only looked at your BMS performance and the interview.

The only guarantee SMP with Med acceptance that I know of is Temple, and getting into that is basically the same as getting into Med school.
There's Drexel, LECOM, and many others. Plus what I meant was that I don't see anything about a guaranteed interview or admission preference on RFU's website, its just been people on here talking about it.

There's Drexel, LECOM, and many others. Plus what I meant was that I don't see anything about a guaranteed interview or admission preference on RFU's website, its just been people on here talking about it.
Oh gotchya, didn't know that.
Common Questions about the Biomedical Sciences MS
If you look at the second question , the answer states enrolled students will be given an interview. In my opinion RFU has a highish acceptance rate compared to many other SMPs, unfortunately we still don't know how many students from BMS will be matriculating but as blastedheath said it should be in the 40s.
Another point I want to make is that I may harbor slight positive bias in regards to the program because of my individual success given my situation. However as you can see there are definitely people who didn't gain admission into CMS, so even though I'm trying to be as partial as possible it's always good to hear the other side of the story, unfortunately it seems like not many of my classmates post on sdn.

As far as I know, once you are in BMS they only looked at your BMS performance and the interview.
I emailed them asking if this is true, but the answer I got was somewhat vague and unhelpful. I specifically inquired about retaking the MCAT or not and their response was that they will work with me over the course of the year to improve my application for the NEXT cycle. That doesn't help me because I need to apply this year and the last MCAT they accept is 9/9!

I emailed them asking if this is true, but the answer I got was somewhat vague and unhelpful. I specifically inquired about retaking the MCAT or not and their response was that they will work with me over the course of the year to improve my application for the NEXT cycle. That doesn't help me because I need to apply this year and the last MCAT they accept is 9/9!
Overall, I really like the school, but the administration can definitely be vague and unhelpful like this. I can only speak to what I was told by several people and experienced myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if what I said was wrong, or possibly changing with the new curriculum.

I have to agree with @BlastedHeath on the admin part, unfortunately you will have to do your own research with regards to applying with X mcat and X gpa. However from my knowledge, people got rejected because of a C or a poor interview, my classmates who also got in had varying MCAT scores as well. If I remember correctly, the co-chair of CMS admissions said that if you are in the BMS program, your base stats are good enough for CMS, its your interview and performance in the BMS program that determines your future. If you are dead set on retaking the MCAT in order to bolster your chances at other MD and DO schools, by all means go for it, but you might hurt yourself in the long run if you fail to perform well in the BMS classes in the beginning, and thats a gamble you must be willing to take; hence why SMP's are the riskiest of the risky.

What's the difference between the on-campus housing and the Woodlands apartments? Do most people end up living at one of those two places? I drove down today to take a look around and I must say North Chicago itself is pretty drab. I live in Wisconsin and its a 45 minute drive so I'm not sure if commuting is a good idea. Are classes every day and do they usually start early in the AM?

can i sign the declaration of intent and decide to not attend later....is this still possible?

Has anyone on here been waitlisted yet for this program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, have you? I've been complete for a few weeks now, still waiting :(

I am on the same boat as you, which is why I was wondering. Best of luck iA

I am on the same boat as you, which is why I was wondering. Best of luck iA

Yeah, hope it works out for us both! I called them Tuesday and they said they should let me know within a week.

I got a call from an advisor yesterday informing me that the committee for CMS is advising me to complete another 100 hours of community service in addition to the 100 that I've already done.

When would be the latest we'd know if accepted or not? I want to have time to get housing lol

When would be the latest we'd know if accepted or not? I want to have time to get housing lol

This was one of my concerns as well. I think I'll call them Monday.

Did you end up calling them?

Yes I did. They didn't give me a direct answer, although they stated that they postponed the deadline for submitting supplemental materials till July 21st. The lady from the admissions office stated it should regardless take around 3 weeks to hear back once you're application is "complete", but wasn't able to clarify if there would be enough time to look for housing etc once accepted.

Yes I did. They didn't give me a direct answer, although they stated that they postponed the deadline for submitting supplemental materials till July 21st. The lady from the admissions office stated it should regardless take around 3 weeks to hear back once you're application is "complete", but wasn't able to clarify if there would be enough time to look for housing etc once accepted.

Thanks! Has it been 3 weeks for you?

If anything, the extension means they still have seats hopefully.

Thanks! Has it been 3 weeks for you?

Not sure if this is relevant, but looks like this year they sent out most of their decisions on Tuesdays with the exception of holidays. If anything, the extension means they still have seats hopefully.

Hmm interesting. It's been over a week since I've submitted my MCAT score with them. I applied a little late and was just waiting on my official scores to come in.

Is anyone looking for a roommate? (female) I got accepted a few days ago and am looking for another girl to live with, preferably at Woodlands apartments, which are owned by the school and really close to campus (2 min walk). Feel free to message me if interested! :)

Is anyone looking for a roommate? (female) I got accepted a few days ago and am looking for another girl to live with, preferably at Woodlands apartments, which are owned by the school and really close to campus (2 min walk). Feel free to message me if interested! :)
Accepted today! I am interested! Although I did choose the on campus housing on fasfa earlier today...