Rosalind Franklin Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!
Has anyone else of you received the Financial Aid Award Letter. I received mine today and found out that they did not certify one of the loans I have requested- the GragPlus Loan. Has anyone else gotten the FinAid award and not received what you asked for?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nkazak said:
Hey guys!
Has anyone else of you received the Financial Aid Award Letter. I received mine today and found out that they did not certify one of the loans I have requested- the GragPlus Loan. Has anyone else gotten the FinAid award and not received what you asked for?

Thanks

when did you turn in your financial aid app? did you fill out the "addendum" to the grad+? maybe that is why it has not been certified ;)

My financial aid app has been complete and in late March/beginning of April and since I did not want to use Sallie Mae as my lender and decided to go with T.H.E instead I did not need to fill out the GradPlus addendum b/c in that case I just had to send them the T.H.E. Master Promissory Note.
Had anyone of you guys already received your fin aid package as well?

TimmyTheWonderD said:
when did you turn in your financial aid app? did you fill out the "addendum" to the grad+? maybe that is why it has not been certified ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
How large is the class?

Class pictures?

Hey,

Where is there any decent living around RFU that allows pets? Is Waukegan a safe place to live? I need a sweet place that allows pets, two bdrm, and am willing to pay up to $1000 per month. Where do you RFU'ers live?
Is there any form of city life or entertainment around the RFU area? I have only been up there once and didn't see anything. Gurnee?

What places include utilities in the price?

Thanks a lot. :D

Two bedroom, allows pets, AND sweet place, all for under 1000$? That's a tall order to fill. I work in Libertyville right now and I find that area very nice and safe, and I live in Waukegan. That being said, I live in an areafar from the rest of Waukegan, and many would say its not necessarily the safest place to live. The place I live in is called Northern Crossing, and it's very nice, but two bedrooms aren't sub 1000... although you might be able to do 1100 or so? It's worth looking into. Also look into Forest Pointe apartments, but they won't be <1000 either. As far as apartments worth looking into in Libertyville I have nothing specific to recommend, but just recommending the Vernon Hills/Libertyville area as a nice place to live.

doclm said:
Hey,

Where is there any decent living around RFU that allows pets? Is Waukegan a safe place to live? I need a sweet place that allows pets, two bdrm, and am willing to pay up to $1000 per month. Where do you RFU'ers live?
Is there any form of city life or entertainment around the RFU area? I have only been up there once and didn't see anything. Gurnee?

What places include utilities in the price?

Thanks a lot. :D

I hear lake forest is nice? How far that from campus? Do you need a car while attending rfu?

Ombatay said:
Two bedroom, allows pets, AND sweet place, all for under 1000$? That's a tall order to fill. I work in Libertyville right now and I find that area very nice and safe, and I live in Waukegan. That being said, I live in an areafar from the rest of Waukegan, and many would say its not necessarily the safest place to live. The place I live in is called Northern Crossing, and it's very nice, but two bedrooms aren't sub 1000... although you might be able to do 1100 or so? It's worth looking into. Also look into Forest Pointe apartments, but they won't be <1000 either. As far as apartments worth looking into in Libertyville I have nothing specific to recommend, but just recommending the Vernon Hills/Libertyville area as a nice place to live.

Not that I just don't want to spend the $$$, but how can people at RFU afford to live when they are only allowed roughly $1600 per month through their budget? What happens in the summer when you don't have your rent $$$ coming in from student loans? I am luckly enough to have a 50% tuition scholarship so I will only being paying $12,000 for tuition and the rest of the budget ($18,000) will be living expense money. But how do you MD students do it when your paying $34,000 for tuition and you can only take out a maximum of $38,000 in federal loans? Do you guys have to take out private loans just to get by? :eek:

Hi there classmates,

Sorry to post this again, but I already have a few interested 1st year CMS and Podiatry students who are looking for additional roommates. This housing complex is located in a NEW housing development of Waukegan near RFU, not the ghetto side! I'll post more pictures in the next few days. Please email/call/PM me if you're interested. Thanks again.

Room(s) / House For Rent

343 S. Kyle Drive, Waukegan, Illinois, 60085​

I have a spacious 4-bedroom house available for rent in Waukegan (located 3.9 miles/7 min. from the Rosalind Franklin Campus). I am free to rent out each room individually or rent the house as a whole.

The house is a partially furnished 2-story house with 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. Master bedroom has Full Bath & Walk-In Closet. Spacious living room & dining room are separately located. Eat-in kitchen includes dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, and oven. Italian marble throughout main level. Backyard includes large patio and deck off main level. Attached 2-car Parking garage also available. This is a new neighborhood that is both family friendly and safe. There are also a number of grocery stores within walking distance.

***SEE PHOTOS***

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wauke...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Master Bedroom Size – 13 x 12 – 156 sq.ft.
$575 - $675 (Master Bedroom includes Full Bath w/2 sinks and Walk-In Closet)

2nd Bedroom Size – 12 x 10 – 120 sq. ft. - $475- $575
3rd Bedroom Size – 12 x 10 - 120 sq. ft. - $475- $575
4th Bedroom Size – 13 x 12 – 156 sq.ft.- $475- $575

-The price of rent for the entire house is approx. $1500-2000 per month w/o utilities
-The price of rent per room varies based on size and availability (please see the listing)
-The length of the lease is for 6 or 12 months.
-A deposit equaling the amount of 1 month's rent is required prior to moving in, this deposit will be applied to any damages incurred to the room and/or house during the length of stay. This deposit does NOT constitute last month's rent, which still must be paid in full.
-Move-in may begin starting July 1st
-Basement of house is restricted and unavailable for tenant use
-If you would like to schedule a walk-through visit of the house please email me ASAP

House is available for rent Per Room or in its Entirety. Please call/email at 619-200-6765 ([email protected]). Thanks again for your time and good luck in your housing search!

NRAI2001 said:
I hear lake forest is nice? How far that from campus? Do you need a car while attending rfu?

I lived in Lake Forest while attending RFU, but I had a sweet setup with a condo. There are apartments to be had there, but it is a very pretentious area (think: mansions owned by the Sears/Macys heirs, country clubs, etc) and can be pretty expensive. They dont advertise outside of their local papers. so that is the only way to find a place in LF. There are no apartment complexes there. There are a few in Lake Bluff, also nearby, and those are pretty nice.
Yes, you need a car. No way around it, unless you want to be stuck on campus and have to bum rides every time you need groceries. Nothing in walking distance.

nkazak said:
Hey guys!

Thanks

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I applied for the Medloan ALP a while ago and was approved. Then the university sent us an email asking us if we want to switch to the GradPlus Loan. They asked us to reply by June 23. I was going to just stay with the ALP loan, but decided at the last minute to switch to the GradPlus. I sent in my reply to switch to the GradPlus on June 23.
Did you reply to that email? How long ago did you apply for the GradPlus? :confused:

NRAI2001 said:
Cool, thanks buddy... that was kinda what i was wondering. Doesnt have to be spectacular, just some place nice and clean.

How far is lake forest from the campus? How are the areas around the campus?

The area around campus is mostly part of the Great Lakes Naval Training academy, so think: base housing. South of campus on Green Bay Rd takes you to Lake Forest/Lake Bluff (which have wonderful beaches, but LB charges for non residents and LF is free but has no parking for non residents - you can go, but you have to walk nearly a mile from the nearest parking).
North on Green Bay Rd. takes you into Waukegan, which is very working-class type community. That is where you will find all your fast food chains. West on 176/Rockland Rd takes you through LB, where close to campus there is a strip mall with a grocery store, Starbucks frequented by med students, and a Panera and bagel place. Rockland Cafe is the there - it's the closest bar to campus and is good for a drink with friends, but no dancing or anything like that. The Silo is there too, which has good pizza. Futher out 176 and you will get to Libertyville - med students like to study at the Caribou Coffee there, and it has a nice old fashioned downtown with some good restuarants. At Milwaukee and Buckley Rd (north on 176) there is Wildberry restaurant which has excellent breakfasts. South on Milwaukee to Route 60 and you'll find Vernon Hills, a mecca of chains and strip malls with an actual mall that isnt too bad. Closest Wal Mart/Target/Sams Club are here.

scrubbedin said:
The area around campus is mostly part of the Great Lakes Naval Training academy, so think: base housing. South of campus on Green Bay Rd takes you to Lake Forest/Lake Bluff (which have wonderful beaches, but LB charges for non residents and LF is free but has no parking for non residents - you can go, but you have to walk nearly a mile from the nearest parking).
North on Green Bay Rd. takes you into Waukegan, which is very working-class type community. That is where you will find all your fast food chains. West on 176/Rockland Rd takes you through LB, where close to campus there is a strip mall with a grocery store, Starbucks frequented by med students, and a Panera and bagel place. Rockland Cafe is the there - it's the closest bar to campus and is good for a drink with friends, but no dancing or anything like that. The Silo is there too, which has good pizza. Futher out 176 and you will get to Libertyville - med students like to study at the Caribou Coffee there, and it has a nice old fashioned downtown with some good restuarants. At Milwaukee and Buckley Rd (north on 176) there is Wildberry restaurant which has excellent breakfasts. South on Milwaukee to Route 60 and you'll find Vernon Hills, a mecca of chains and strip malls with an actual mall that isnt too bad. Closest Wal Mart/Target/Sams Club are here.

Wow thanks for the info! Is any of this walking distance or do you need a car? Are there buses in the area at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
smilesss said:
Wow thanks for the info! Is any of this walking distance or do you need a car? Are there buses in the area at all?

YES YOU NEED A CAR. I think there is some kind of suburban bus system, but it is sparse and unreliable. There is a train, the Metra, commuter train which runs from Lake bluff into the city, and the school runs a shuttle to and from that for people who live downtown.

Nothing is walking distance.

Hi ChipotleAddict!
No, I actually did not reply to their e-mail, but just called them and asked what I was to do if I wanted to switch to the GradPlus and use a T.H.E as a lender and not RFU recommended SallieMae. Fin Aid people told me to just apply directly with T.H.E and send them the completed Promissory Note, which I did. I believe I completed all the paperwork for the GradPlus loan somewhere around June 15th. I do not really know what to make of it, but I will certainly be trying to contact the FinAid office to se what could be done!
In your award letter, did you or anyone else who already got it, recieve any scholarships or grants or subsidized institutional loans from them?

Thanks

ChipotleAddict said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I applied for the Medloan ALP a while ago and was approved. Then the university sent us an email asking us if we want to switch to the GradPlus Loan. They asked us to reply by June 23. I was going to just stay with the ALP loan, but decided at the last minute to switch to the GradPlus. I sent in my reply to switch to the GradPlus on June 23.
Did you reply to that email? How long ago did you apply for the GradPlus? :confused:

nkazak said:
Hi ChipotleAddict!
No, I actually did not reply to their e-mail, but just called them and asked what I was to do if I wanted to switch to the GradPlus and use a T.H.E as a lender and not RFU recommended SallieMae. Fin Aid people told me to just apply directly with T.H.E and send them the completed Promissory Note, which I did. I believe I completed all the paperwork for the GradPlus loan somewhere around June 15th. I do not really know what to make of it, but I will certainly be trying to contact the FinAid office to se what could be done!
In your award letter, did you or anyone else who already got it, recieve any scholarships or grants or subsidized institutional loans from them?

Thanks

Hey nkazak!
Hmmm, sounds like you should have received the GradPlus loan, no problem. I'm thinking maybe they didn't process all of our paperwork from the last week before the june 23 deadline and then just sent the fin aid notifications un-updated. I sent them an email on Friday, waiting for a reply. lemme know if you hear anything as well
thanks!
also, no scholarships or grants or subsidized inst. loans here

scrubbedin said:

I visited the school yesterday and yea you definitely need a car. There is nothing really in the general vicinity of the school. Everything is about atleast a 5 to 10 minute drive.

Downtown Chicago is awesome though.....really nice and clean and seems like a fun place to be. Do RFU students do a lot of rotations in downtown?

NRAI2001 said:

I visited the school yesterday and yea you definitely need a car. There is nothing really in the general vicinity of the school. Everything is about atleast a 5 to 10 minute drive.

Downtown Chicago is awesome though.....really nice and clean and seems like a fun place to be. Do RFU students do a lot of rotations in downtown?

1. you don't need a car, you at least need a friend with a car. one of the many reasons to be friendly and sociable. lots of people don't have cars.

2. most rotations are in chicago. there is a list of affiliated hospitals on the website

Moniker said:
1. you don't need a car, you at least need a friend with a car. one of the many reasons to be friendly and sociable. lots of people don't have cars.

2. most rotations are in chicago. there is a list of affiliated hospitals on the website

I would have to disagree. I lived without a car last year, and it made things much more of a hassle. Sure, you can make friends, but there is a limit to how much you can depend on them, particularly when they have their own piles of work to take care of. Besides, you will NEED a car for third year, theres no getting around that. Everyone has different schedules for rotations and good luck trying to find a ride to a hospital at 5 am when you have pre-rounds. So I say, if youre going to get one eventually, why not get it now?

Hey is anyone getting the health insurance through the school? I'm Canadian so I need it but I'm not sure what to get

I can't believe we're starting so sooooooooon!

I'm guessing I'm the last one in off the waitlist. I just accepted today.... 15 days before orientation. Oh well, see you guys in two weeks! Can't wait to get started.

oh my gosh! only 14 days until orientation - :eek:
where have the last two months disappeared to?????

anyone else really excited, yet really :scared: ?

gi11ett said:
I'm guessing I'm the last one in off the waitlist. I just accepted today.... 15 days before orientation. Oh well, see you guys in two weeks! Can't wait to get started.

congrats!! :D

TimmyTheWonderD said:
oh my gosh! only 14 days until orientation - :eek:
where have the last two months disappeared to?????

anyone else really excited, yet really :scared: ?

oh yeah. i'm getting ready to move out to chicago next week!!! i can't believe it! can't wait, scared to death, etc.

I assume this thread should be CMS at RFUMS.

As a Scholl Student at RFUMS, I welcome you all and let the Party begin!

See you all at orientation week, my gf is one of th students helping out (she is an M2 there).

If you all want any pearls from some one at rfums, dont hesitate to ask.

Is RFU fun? Partying ever? Cool students?

I know this might seem like a ******ed question but I cant study somewhere that isnt a nice environment.

There is almost nothing in the proximity of the school.

(I m in the BMS program).

nibrocli said:
oh yeah. i'm getting ready to move out to chicago next week!!! i can't believe it! can't wait, scared to death, etc.

Hey nibrocli! do you already have plans for getting to chicago? I noticed you live in the bay area and I'm driving to chicago from the bay area next monday the 17th. I want to keep my car and I'm transporting my stuff so I'm just gonna drive it. I'm solo as of now, but if you want a cheap method of getting to chicago, you can ride along. I'd only have room for an extra suitcase or two, so you'd probly have to ship the majority of your stuff. Lemme know if this interests you at all. -Adam, Redwood City, 847-772-7420 cell

Are there any cafes or anything near the campus?

. Any nice places to study near the campus? Cafes, starbucks,......etc?I like to study at cafes bc it feels less like studying and more like chilling

NRAI2001 said:
Are there any cafes or anything near the campus?

. Any nice places to study near the campus? Cafes, starbucks,......etc?I like to study at cafes bc it feels less like studying and more like chilling

My favorite places to study were the Caribou Coffee in Vernon Hills and the Barnes and Noble in Deerfield. Deerfield is a bit of a ride (20-25 minutes) but the tables hidden in the bookstacks upstairs are perfect for a long day of studying. There's a nice caribou coffee in libertyville too, (along with some other homegrown coffee shops along route 21 through libertyville) but the caribou can be way too busy/loud in the evenings (esp weekends) as there is a movie theater across the street and the high school kids sometimes congregate at the caribou. There's a starbucks everywhere. There's one near campus in Lake Bluff at 176 and 43, but it tends to be almost too popular with RFUMS students. I'm trying to think of non-chains but I'm drawing blanks. Additional corporate haunts are Borders in Gurnee and Barnes and Noble in Vernon Hills (which is closer, but colder and less comfortable than deerfield). Sorry non-car people, but there's really nothing within walking distance...

I just got accepted on Tuesday!

this is nuts, orientation is next week, and I'm stressin to get all my paperwork done.

does anyone need a roommate, preferably in the Woodlands apts?

Thanks guys, hope to see you there, if not at orientation then in class.

- Sinh

entp24 said:

this is nuts, orientation is next week, and I'm stressin to get all my paperwork done.

- Sinh

Okay i'm either driving there from Socal, or flying there while I ship my car. Decisions decisions.

ChipotleAddict said:
Hey nibrocli! do you already have plans for getting to chicago? I noticed you live in the bay area and I'm driving to chicago from the bay area next monday the 17th. I want to keep my car and I'm transporting my stuff so I'm just gonna drive it. I'm solo as of now, but if you want a cheap method of getting to chicago, you can ride along. I'd only have room for an extra suitcase or two, so you'd probly have to ship the majority of your stuff. Lemme know if this interests you at all.

wow, what a nice offer. i didn't see it until today, because i've been driving cross country (with husband & dog). thanks anyway though! actually, we just arrived tonight. i can't believe we start this week! i can't believe we're gonna be doctors!! wow.

thanks again, i'm liking the class of 2010 already :)

entp24 said:
Okay i'm either driving there from Socal, or flying there while I ship my car. Decisions decisions.

It's a rough drive trust me. I did it last year for my AP year. Don't do it in a straight 30 hour drive. It is suicide. Though shipping your car will be a hefty sum. It's up to you. Pain in the car or pain in the wallet.

entp24 said:

- Sinh

You still need a roommate? If so, private message me, I have a friend who is looking.

BTW, are you a guy or girl?... sorry for my ignorance. :oops:

UCI->Scholl said:
You still need a roommate? If so, private message me, I have a friend who is looking.

BTW, are you a guy or girl?... sorry for my ignorance. :oops:

Just got a room in the dorms a few days ago. Might still be some openings. It comes out to be about $875 a month for a single bed room apt.

Wow been here for a month............this is seriously the most boringest place I have ever been....students and staff are really nice and friendly............but North Chicago gives me nightmares everynight. Feels like I ve been here for months and months.

on the bright side midterms are only two weeks away now; so you won't even be worried about what to do!

I got an acceptance the other day from cms, but was wondering how well cms takes care of their students financially. Do they give you enough for everything like tution, housing, car insurance, medical bills out of student loans that I dont need to pay off until 4 years of med school? What if i need money for extra expenses such as a laptop, etc?

thank you!

hi guys, I am going to CMS as well, just want to say hi.
I'll be coming from Irvine in Socal.... just very annoyed with moving.
So, a question for you all, where do you buy furnitures, nearby IKEA?

Can anyone report on how good or bad the telephone service and 3G data service is for ATT / iPhone around campus and the general waukegan area? I need to get a new phone now and I want to make sure that I'll get good service once school starts.