Rosalind Franklin (CMS) vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loxandbagels450

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently trying to decide between Rosalind Franklin (Chicago Medical School) and NYMC. I am stuck in-between the two and would love any insight or guidance, thanks in advance!

Rosalind Franklin:

Pros:
-In-state and from the area so I would have a very strong support network
-Decently strong match list, especially for Chicago where I might want to end up
-NBME exams, although I have heard complaints about the prep material given for these exams
-Strong interprofessional focus, great simulation labs, and a brand new research building
-Both on and off campus living to provide a strong community
-P/F
-Two years in suburbs, two years in city
-Affordable cost of living

Cons:
-Ranked lower than NYMC
-Clinical sites are all over and without an affiliate hospital
-Harder to get research opportunities, less funding for research
-Quiz every Friday (?)
-SO might still have to stay in NYC which would result in doing long distance

NYMC:

Pros:
-Ranked higher than RFU and have heard that students feel very well prepared for residency
-Strong match list, have the opportunity to come back to midwest/Chicago or stay in northeast
-NBME exams
-P/F
-On campus living the first two years will foster a strong community
-More research funding/opportunities
-SO's job is based in NYC
-Two years suburbs, two years city

Cons:
-Far away from family, but might want to live in a new city for 4 years to grow more as an individual
-More expensive cost of living, although COA is about the same
-Clinical sites are all over the place which could result in long commutes/subletting, but does have WMC as a direct affiliate

Members don't see this ad.

Ranking shouldn’t be included here. Couldn’t be more of a wash in terms of prestige.

Where do you want to match ideally? Chicago or NY? Both will prepare you most to match regionally so that’s a factor. Also, how serious are you about your SO? I think these are the 2 most important factors

Reactions: 1 user