~~~ Rosalind Franklin or what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PPPartyMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Rosalind Franklin for the 2005 matriculating class. I have also been waitlisted at SLU and NYMC. Next week I will be on a cruise and now I am stressing because I don't know what to do if the call comes while I am away. Do you think Rosalind Franklin is better than the other two schools and I should just withdraw from them? Or should I wait for the calls and what should I do about not being able to check my phone, e-mail, or snail mail for the next week? Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I would let the schools know about your situation. I am waitlisted at my top choice school and will be out of the country for 2 weeks, and they said I could notify them in writing of a proxy to accept for me.

If you know you would attend either of those schools over Rosalind Franklin, I would set something like this up. If it doesn't matter to you, then I guess you could see if you get a call and check your messages periodically.

Either way, get in touch with the schools admissions offices to see what their policy is.

GL to you.

PPPartyMan said:
I have been accepted to Rosalind Franklin for the 2005 matriculating class. I have also been waitlisted at SLU and NYMC. Next week I will be on a cruise and now I am stressing because I don't know what to do if the call comes while I am away. Do you think Rosalind Franklin is better than the other two schools and I should just withdraw from them? Or should I wait for the calls and what should I do about not being able to check my phone, e-mail, or snail mail for the next week? Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated. :cool:
My opinion is that SLU is a better program than Rosalind Franklin. I don't know anything about NYMC other than the reputation on SDN which is about as flattering as Rosalind Franklin's SDN rep, whether that means anything or they are accurate, I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
rerock said:
I would let the schools know about your situation. I am waitlisted at my top choice school and will be out of the country for 2 weeks, and they said I could notify them in writing of a proxy to accept for me.

If you know you would attend either of those schools over Rosalind Franklin, I would set something like this up. If it doesn't matter to you, then I guess you could see if you get a call and check your messages periodically.

Either way, get in touch with the schools admissions offices to see what their policy is.

GL to you.

Thanks I'll do that! :luck: to you!

YzIa said:
My opinion is that SLU is a better program than Rosalind Franklin. I don't know anything about NYMC other than the reputation on SDN which is about as flattering as Rosalind Franklin's SDN rep, whether that means anything or they are accurate, I don't know.
Thanks- That helps :p

I think when comparing those three schools, in terms of reputation, there isn't one that is far and away better than the others. I think you should consider the school where you will feel the most comfortable. I liked the feeling I got from NYMC when I went there so I decided to go there and reject other schools that may be considered more reputable.

bbtbay said:
I think when comparing those three schools, in terms of reputation, there isn't one that is far and away better than the others. I think you should consider the school where you will feel the most comfortable. I liked the feeling I got from NYMC when I went there so I decided to go there and reject other schools that may be considered more reputable.
My post was assuming impartiality. Otherwise I agree with bbtbay, that if you felt more comfortable or liked any one of those schools more than the others, then that should be your top choice.

slut.. i mean slu is in the top 70, while rf and nymc are not.

depends where you are from my friend, i know rf is in the suburbs of chicago which is good during ur m3 and m4 bc you can move to the city and i know that nymc is in valhalla and again u can move during ur last two years to the city.

im not sure where slu is but, location is impt bc ur gonna be stressed.
again, location depends on how far they are from you... cheaper airfare, and chicago and slu are midwest time.

gluck and have fun on ur trp, im leaving the country for two weeks also... hopefully ill get a call while im gone

bbtbay said:
I think when comparing those three schools, in terms of reputation, there isn't one that is far and away better than the others. I think you should consider the school where you will feel the most comfortable. I liked the feeling I got from NYMC when I went there so I decided to go there and reject other schools that may be considered more reputable.[/QUO

That was what I was thinking, all three are similar however, Rosalind Franklin has some accreditation issues that concern me. Should I automatically go elsewhere no matter how much I liked the school. SLU seemed nice but I personally ranked it last compared to the other two. :confused:

rjb said:

depends where you are from my friend, i know rf is in the suburbs of chicago which is good during ur m3 and m4 bc you can move to the city and i know that nymc is in valhalla and again u can move during ur last two years to the city.

im not sure where slu is but, location is impt bc ur gonna be stressed.
again, location depends on how far they are from you... cheaper airfare, and chicago and slu are midwest time.

gluck and have fun on ur trp, im leaving the country for two weeks also... hopefully ill get a call while im gone

Yes USNews.com has SLU ranked higher in research dollars but RF is ranked number 1 in average school indebtedness :eek:

PPPartyMan said:
bbtbay said:
I think when comparing those three schools, in terms of reputation, there isn't one that is far and away better than the others. I think you should consider the school where you will feel the most comfortable. I liked the feeling I got from NYMC when I went there so I decided to go there and reject other schools that may be considered more reputable.[/QUO

That was what I was thinking, all three are similar however, Rosalind Franklin has some accreditation issues that concern me. Should I automatically go elsewhere no matter how much I liked the school. SLU seemed nice but I personally ranked it last compared to the other two. :confused:

follow your heart fo sho

CTG said:
PPPartyMan said:
follow your heart fo sho

Thanks for all your inputs. Do you all honestly think that your grades and board scores will be affected by how much you like the school? It may seem like a dumb question but if you choose to go to a school that has a lower rank but you really liked that school, do you think your grades and board scores will be higher than if you went to a school that you didn't like as much? Also, if going to a school you like does have an impact, do you think it is enough to compensate for the lower rank? Thanks again for all your help!

PPPartyMan said:
CTG said:
Thanks for all your inputs. Do you all honestly think that your grades and board scores will be affected by how much you like the school? It may seem like a dumb question but if you choose to go to a school that has a lower rank but you really liked that school, do you think your grades and board scores will be higher than if you went to a school that you didn't like as much? Also, if going to a school you like does have an impact, do you think it is enough to compensate for the lower rank? Thanks again for all your help!

I think doing well no matter where you go is what matters the most- excelling in your situation is what they are looking for

rjb said:

Do you know WHY we are not ranked AT ALL? No?

That's because my school (among many others) do not report information to usnwr.

For future reference... When you cite statistics, know where they come from. Otherwise, you are just like the rest of the clueless premeds that start daily "rankings" threads like these .

idq1i said:
Do you know WHY we are not ranked AT ALL? No?

That's because my school (among many others) do not report information to usnwr.

For future reference... When you cite statistics, know where they come from. Otherwise, you are just like the rest of the clueless premeds that start daily "rankings" threads like these .

hmm- a little bitter are we?
we're just trying to figure out where to go and are looking for some imput from other people who are in the same situation-
i think everyone knows that usnews rankings are crap and we're just trying to see if there is some type of credible ranking system out there that keeps things in an objective light- sorry if us clueless premeds are so far below you oh holy M3

PPPartyMan said:

cruise? to where?

idq1i said:
Bitter? Why would I be?

The only credible "ranking system" that exists is the Match List for the school.

LOL

Bump