Rosalind Franklin - the place to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiclas87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why isn't Rosalind Franklin super competitive? It seems like the place to be. US News says only 35% of their students go into primary care, which says a lot about their match list (which I would like to see, if anyone has a link). Plus, since it is less competitive, it would be easier to be at the top of your class, and subsequently a top residency (not particularly a top program).

Plus, it's in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

physiclas87 said:
Why isn't Rosalind Franklin super competitive? It seems like the place to be. US News says only 35% of their students go into primary care, which says a lot about their match list (which I would like to see, if anyone has a link). Plus, since it is less competitive, it would be easier to be at the top of your class, and subsequently a top residency (not particularly a top program).

Plus, it's in Chicago.

I don't think the school is actually in Chicago, I heard it's like an hour drive away from the city. In all other respects, it sounds like a great school to me. :love:

physiclas87 said:
Plus, it's in Chicago.

nein. that is the great trajesty of RFU/CMS... "The Chicago Medical School is NOT in Chicago... it should be called The "almost chicago medical school" or Not-Quite-Chicago Medical School, but alas, not THE Chicago Medical School. (although 3&4 year rotations ARE in Chicago, for the most part)

Mapquest North Chicago and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Second, N.Chicago and Waukegan (the towns where you'd be living your first two years) leave A LOT to be desired.

Other than the false advertising, I liked alot of things about the school (They have an "interesting" podiatry museum-- THE Dr. Shoals went there for his DPM)

Members don't see this ad :)
North Chicago apparently is "ghetto" for lack of a better word to use...however u do your clinicals in Downtown Chicago...or suburban...depending on your choice...there are 11 hospitals you can do them at...i think theres a stigma about RFU as some "safety school"...1/3 of their students come from CA and these are the students that most likely got rejected by UC schools....

1/3 are from california because there are so many qualified applicants coming from california. if you haven't noticed. everyone in california wants to be a doctor. RF used to be located in downtown chicago back in the day and moved to north chicago for some reason, probably to expand the campus to encompass other health professions. I interviewed there and they give you the match list with the names and hospitals that people go to...it is pretty impressive...more so than i had anticipated.
Anesthesiology 12, Derm 2, emergency 17, family practice 16, general surgery 10, internal medicine 40, medicine-pediatrics 4, medicine-preliminary 29, neurological surgery 1, neurology 5, obgyn 9, ophtho 7, orthopaedic surgery 9, otolaryngology (ENT) 1, pathology 3, pediatrics 18, physical medicine and rehabilitation 7, psych 5, radiation oncology 2, radiation-diagnostic 6, surgery prelim 14, transitional 13, urology 2.
Hope that helps!

ok, enough with all the speculation, here is the actual match list. it is hot ****.

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/osa/Resources/2005MR.pdf

furthermore they accept something like 60% of people they interview. hot ****.

finally, if i end up going there, its basically gonna be the coolest school around. cuz i'm kind of a big deal.

i just woke up from a nap where i found out i was put up for adoption by an OLD chinese woman who came back to find me. i am not chinese. uhh.

-mota

physiclas87 said:

Plus, it's in Chicago.
Your view of less competitive is quite off the mark.
RFU has ABCDF grading leading to more competitiveness than a P/F school.

That said the match list is good and they have a large class.

prazmatic said:
Our class is large because 1/3 of the M1s got in through a direct masters program (they basically do half their M1 year, and if their grades are successful, they are guaranteed a spot in the next year's M1 class).

So basically, out of 185, 62 people are returning masters. Then about 10 came from the BS/MD program with IIT (myself included). So the number of people who actually got in the real way and came amounts to maybe 110 or so.
I was just commenting that the class is large. I don't really have a pref. one way or the other. I didn't mean it as a negative.

prazmatic said:
Our class is large because 1/3 of the M1s got in through a direct masters program (they basically do half their M1 year, and if their grades are successful, they are guaranteed a spot in the next year's M1 class).

So basically, out of 185, 62 people are returning masters. Then about 10 came from the BS/MD program with IIT (myself included). So the number of people who actually got in the real way and came amounts to maybe 110 or so.

do you know adam bauer? he's an M1, good friend of my brother's. i'm staying with him when i come for my interview.
-mota

DaMota said:
do you know adam bauer? he's an M1, good friend of my brother's. i'm staying with him when i come for my interview.
-mota

WHOA, YOU KNOW ADAM?!?!?! Damnnn, small world, eh? Hes an interesting guy, and a crazy basketball player.

And bret, Im sure you didnt mean it in a negative way. I just thought Id clarify the class size, because yeah, it is pretty big compared to some other places.

my good friend was a second year at rfu before he transferred and he says one of the things people dont like about rfu (besides its reputation) is that it doesn't have a hospital associated with it (=virtually nonexistant residency program). but he said the basic science curriculum is solid and the students do well.

Location Location Location.

Great match list, good school, great students, miserable location.

How are the facilities at RFU? I've been trying to find pictures, but so far all I have seen is that picture of the little building with the pink trees in front of it :rolleyes: Are the lecture halls nice, is there a library, how many volumes? How many students per group in anatomy?

letmein!please? said:
How are the facilities at RFU? I've been trying to find pictures, but so far all I have seen is that picture of the little building with the pink trees in front of it :rolleyes: Are the lecture halls nice, is there a library, how many volumes? How many students per group in anatomy?
Is the question about how many volumes are in a library really important in the era of the internet? I mean really.. do you think you are going to NOT have access to some information that you will want?

No, its really more to get an idea of what the facilities are like. I'm a librarian so maybe I am more "library-conscious" :rolleyes: For example, a school with a million volumes gives me a completely different vibe than a school with a couple thousand. My undergrad has 12 libraries, several are large, multi-story buildings. Even though I have never opened a book in most of them, it just makes my school feel a little more "legit" or something...it's hard to explain. Also, I think the size and scale of university libraries are somewhat representative of the campus, classrooms, funding, etc.

i think the fact that they've changed their name hurt the knowledge of their school. i've talked to docs about possibly interviewing at chicago med and they know exactly what i'm talking about. yet if i initially refer to it as rosalind franklin, they have no clue.

that being said RF/CMS turns out great docs. if i go interview and get in, it'll be tough to stray away from RF/CMS.