Rosalind Franklin U of Medicine and Science??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats with the deal with Finch changing its name?

Members don't see this ad.

from their website....

Effective March 1, 2004, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science will incorporate The Chicago Medical School, The College of Health Professions, The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and The Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine.

It's with great honor that we announce this new name as the first medical institution in the United States to recognize a female scientist through an honorary namesake, as well as unveil a new and expanded vision that includes a mission to be an innovative teaching and research institution that is dedicated to educating health and biomedical professionals on predictive and preventive medicine throughout the world within an integrated health model.

We chose to name our University for a scientist who personifies our mission, represents the dedication and hard work represented in our 92-year history, and whose work links directly to the future of medicine, science and research.

Dr. Rosalind Franklin, a brilliant and courageous British scientist, contributed her meticulous data collection and analytical nature to the study of DNA. Dr. Franklin's Photo 51, which depicted DNA unmistakably as having a double helix structure, was never attributed to her during her lifetime, even though the photo led James Watson and Francis Crick to develop the DNA model for which they were awarded the Nobel Prize in 1962. Dr. Franklin died in 1958 without ever knowing the true magnitude of her contribution to science.

We believe our new vision and namesake will collectively propel this University from a regional medical and health sciences center into an internationally recognized teaching and research institution that will offer a quality educational experience to our students before they embark on their respective medical careers. As Dr. Franklin devoted her life's work to discovery, we, too, will dedicate ourselves to excellence and innovation in education, research, clinical practice and community service.

now they have 3 names....

Chicago Med, Finch, and R Franklin

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Columbia22
Whats with the deal with Finch changing its name?

It's similar to other medical schools who have named their university after great scientists or other prominent leaders such as
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine
The George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Stanford University School of Medicine (The Stanford Family's Son, Leland DeWitt Stanford Jr.)

So following this tradition, naming the university after a great scientist, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science is a much more prominent name.

by the way, anyone get any word lately from this school on acceptances, late interviews, or recent rejections?

wow, i think this is a great thing. this woman can't receive praise enough IMO. ironically, james watson thought of dr's as pple who couldn't hack it doing real science, so i'm glad he doesn't have a med school named after him. although he does have a pretty sick grad school.

my question is, what direct relation does rosalind franklin have with Finch?

no relation at all I don't think. I got an interview two weeks ago for the end of April. If they interview in may they may send out some more invites but it is winding down I think.

That's cool! Rosalind Franklin never gets the credit she deserves. Didn't Watson steal the X-ray picture from her desk, or something like that?

Speaking of robbing scientific credit and Nobels, $10 says SUNY Downstate renames the graduate or medical school to honor Damadian.

Any takers?

It's about time she was recognized in that way. Her boss showed Watson and Crick the X-ray pattern.

I was there recently and every other wing of the school has been renamed after her. It's kind of amusing.

im very curious to find out about a postbacc program that finch offers. i know several people who did not get accepted and then did some postbacc thing where they took med school classes and then in their second year became ms1's who already had taken some of the classes.

does that ring a bell?? thanks.

Originally posted by docmemi
im very curious to find out about a postbacc program that finch offers.

One of the students I stayed with when I was there was in that program. I didn't talk to him much about it but my understanding is that you take most of the med school classes except for A&P as well as additional graduate classes. Finch doesn't guarantee anything but if you can maintain a certain gpa then you pretty much get accepted into next years med school class. It's a crap load of work but if you pull it of then your first year in med school you only have to take A&P

doesnt sound too bad if you dont get in anywhere else. interesting...

Originally posted by G0S2
It's about time she was recognized in that way. Her boss showed Watson and Crick the X-ray pattern.

Actually it was her Technician, which bites even more! He is the third person named on the paper, and the "Prize" if I'm not mistaken.

Lesson learned: hoard your data! j/k

Cheers!
rmp

Maurice Wilkins was the head of another lab at Cavendish. When he saw Rosalind Franklin's (an independent investigator) diffraction pattern, he showed it to Watson/Crick. He shared the Nobel as well in 1953.