Rosalind Franklin U - Show me Love

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wantRFUMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I just recently got completed at RFU - Nov-5th :(, due to delayed LORs. I am a Canadian applicant and I really want to attend RFU (Reasons: relatives in Chicago, school has previously accepted many Canadians, also seems very non-traditional friendly). Am a Canadian Engineering student (2 majors) with stats (3.76 CGPA, 3.79 BCPM, 33O 10V 11P 12B, decent EC's). Sent a letter today begging them to interview me (LOI). I have only applied to two schools but RFU is where I want to go. I wanted to EDP to RFU but could not as a result of late LORs. Now considering they get around 10,000 applications, how do they pick people for invites and what are my chances? Will me being international push me to the back?

thanks,
love you all

Members don't see this ad.

i was complete second week of october last year, almost identical numbers and breakdown to yours. I got the invite December 16th for the end of January.

At most schools, it seems that being an international student is a (big) disadvantage. However, RFU takes several Canadians, and your stats are excellent, so I would think you have a good shot. Only two schools though? Seems a little risky.

Hello Folks,

I just recently got completed at RFU - Nov-5th :(, due to delayed LORs. I am a Canadian applicant and I really want to attend RFU (Reasons: relatives in Chicago, school has previously accepted many Canadians, also seems very non-traditional friendly). Am a Canadian Engineering student (2 majors) with stats (3.76 CGPA, 3.79 BCPM, 33O 10V 11P 12B, decent EC's). Sent a letter today begging them to interview me (LOI). I have only applied to two schools but RFU is where I want to go. I wanted to EDP to RFU but could not as a result of late LORs. Now considering they get around 10,000 applications, how do they pick people for invites and what are my chances? Will me being international push me to the back?

thanks,
love you all

Members don't see this ad :)
Your numbers are awesome, you have nothing to worry about. I'm also an international student (canada) though I studied at an american university for all 4 years. You'll be fine. With your stats, why no U of Toronto or McGill?

Thank you guys for all the uplifting responses.

(1) Reason for applying to 2 schools --> Really want to be in Chicago (tons of relatives of mine and my fiancee) plus do not have much cash for multiple apps and travelling for interviews.

(2) Reason for not applying to UofT --> with average matriculant GPA's hovering around 3.9 I do not think i stand a chance here plus I really want to be in Chicago.

Question for you folks --> Since there are so many people applying to RFU, how do they determine that a person they interview really wants to attend RFU and are not just keeping it as a "safety"? Is there a dean of admissions who I can get in touch with to let them know RFU is my top choice. I sent an email to CMS admisssions, addressing the letter to the admissions committee (LOI) but have received no response (I hope I have not annoyed them :scared:).

MaybeADoc: did you send any "letters of interest" to RFU?

Thank you guys for all the uplifting responses.

(1) Reason for applying to 2 schools --> Really want to be in Chicago (tons of relatives of mine and my fiancee) plus do not have much cash for multiple apps and travelling for interviews.

(2) Reason for not applying to UofT --> with average matriculant GPA's hovering around 3.9 I do not think i stand a chance here plus I really want to be in Chicago.

Question for you folks --> Since there are so many people applying to RFU, how do they determine that a person they interview really wants to attend RFU and are not just keeping it as a "safety"? Is there a dean of admissions who I can get in touch with to let them know RFU is my top choice. I sent an email to CMS admisssions, addressing the letter to the admissions committee (LOI) but have received no response (I hope I have not annoyed them :scared:).

MaybeADoc: did you send any "letters of interest" to RFU?

I wouldn't hold my breath: I've never heard of adcom's actually "responding" to a LOI. Good luck! Hopefully your LOI will convince them that you really want to be there.

You have to be patient. I applied late last year, got an inteview in May and a letter of acceptance from RFU two weeks later. I needed to stay in Chicago and got a good vibe there when I interviewed. Our class does have a nice portion of canadians and other internationals, as well as quite a few non-traditional students. The oldest student is 45 years old! Be patient. Your stats look great. I know they recieved over 10,000 applications this round so things are moving slow.
If RFU is where you really want to go, maybe you want to consider a letter of intent. I am not sure how effective all these letters are, but I really do not think they can harm you.
In any case, good luck.
babi