Rosalind Franklin vs Albany Medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD2018

Reaction score
Albany
Pro-
Attached large medical center
More established/ more respected in Northeast
Closer to many major cities in the northeast
Supportive faculty and admin
Albany is a better city than north Chicago, but not as enjoyable as Chicago

Con-
Not P/F
Older facilities
Further away from family

Rosalind Franklin
Pros-
P/F
NBME exam questions
Newer facilities
On campus housing
Better overall impression during interview day(possibly due to low stress from already having a previous interview)
Better job options for SO

Con-
North Chicago is in the middle of nowhere
No attached teaching hospital (Many different hospitals for rotations= more driving)
EMT course for first year that had mixed results

Shared: Cold weather, Similar CoA(~ $80,000) Solid Match lists year to year, Match an equal amount of people back west, clinical research not emphasized

Just got accepted off of the waitlist at RFU and I'm torn between these two schools. Any advice is appreciated. I am from California and looking to come back west for residency in a surgical sub-speciality.

Members don't see this ad.

Given that you want to return to California anyway, Albany's northeast reputation doesn't seem as much a pro to you than just a neutral factor. Cost being equal, sounds like RFU. You have a more favorable impression and an easier time for SO will probably mean better for you too in terms of support.

Reactions: 1 users
I have lived in Albany my entire life and it’s super boring here. The best thing about AMC though is that it’s the only level one trauma center in this entire area between Syracuse and west Chester area.

Albany
Pro-
Attached large medical center
More established/ more respected in Northeast
Closer to many major cities in the northeast
Supportive faculty and admin
Albany is a better city than north Chicago, but not as enjoyable as Chicago

Con-
Not P/F
Older facilities
Further away from family

Rosalind Franklin
Pros-
P/F
NBME exam questions
Newer facilities
On campus housing
Better overall impression during interview day(possibly due to low stress from already having a previous interview)
Better job options for SO

Con-
North Chicago is in the middle of nowhere
No attached teaching hospital (Many different hospitals for rotations= more driving)
EMT course for first year that had mixed results

Shared: Cold weather, Similar CoA(~ $80,000) Solid Match lists year to year, Match an equal amount of people back west, clinical research not emphasized

Just got accepted off of the waitlist at RFU and I'm torn between these two schools. Any advice is appreciated. I am from California and looking to come back west for residency in a surgical sub-speciality.

The bolded is the biggest pro for Albany. Question is, how important is that for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Albany student here. We def have a lot of people from Cali at our school (there is a joke that we call it UC Albany because of it and definitely have decent matches on both coasts). As for P/F, our modified P/F makes it so if you are in the top 5% of the class you get an extra nod with honors designation but everyone else is “Good” which about 130/140 of us are designated each test. Can’t argue with the older facilities portion but it hasn’t gotten in the way of me learning. PM me if you have any q’s.

Following! I’m also debating between these 2 schools
I ended up choosing RFU. Felt like a better fit for me and their strong match list indicates to me they prepare their students well for successful residencies. It was certainly a tough choice and I don't think you can go wrong between the two.

Reactions: 1 user