Rosalind Franklin vs. Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ben2803

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I need some help deciding what I should do. I am currently committed at Rosalind Franklin but was just offered a spot at MCW. It's a difficult decision, I already have an apartment set up for RFU, and this came out of left field for me. I've been living in Milwaukee for almost 5 years now and spent the last year working for MCW so I know the school and staff very well.

RFU:

Pros:
-Family in Chicago
-Students were all extremely friendly and seemed happy to be there
-Already committed and have an apartment ready

Cons:
-Not many research opportunities
-No affiliated hospitals
-New curriculum launching

MCW:

Pros:
-Great students and community
-Already familiar with the area/a lot of the doctors who work there
-Research opportunities and established curriculum

Cons:
-Large class size
-Farther away from family (not a huge issue for me)

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who was accepted at both, MCW no question. It's really not that much farther away from RFU. It's not like you'll be moving across the country. Soooo many more opportunities. It would be silly to let this one go.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was interesten in both of these schools and ended up withdrawing my application to MCW once I got accepted to RFU. From what I saw, the schools are pretty similar. In terms of student body, both are made up of mostly midwest students and the students at RFU seemed slightly happier there and more excited about the school. The main draw at Rosalind Franklin for me was Chicago. I know RFU is not really in Chicago, but I likely want to practice in Chicago and at RFU you will make tons of connections in the area especially because of the number of hospitals available for rotations in 3rd and 4th year.

Ultimately, I felt that the two schools were as similar as med schools can be so the location factor made me withdraw at MCW and stick with RFU which is where I will be attending this Fall.

Best of luck with your decision and please DM me if you have any questions about RFU - curriculum, rotations, research, etc.

Isn’t MCW not P/F? I feel like that should be a factor. Although how important it ends up being is up to you.

I think it’s important to know your career goals here. Do you have an idea what specialty you want to go into? Would you like to be a research physician? Etc.