Rosalind Franklin vs. UIC (UPR Track)??? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocLove06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get people's opinions about which of these schools they would go to? UIC would be cheaper as I am instate, but I would rather do rotations in chicago over rockford or peoria. I know UIC has a better rep than Rosalind, but RFU has great board scores and match lists. I can't decide where to go! Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Rosalind Franklin and free up a spot at UIC! :laugh:

Any Urbana/Peoria students out there? I've looked through all of the threads but haven't found very much information about your campus/classes/housing/etc. Any info would be much appreciated! Also, I've heard Peoria has free student housing? Anyone know if this is true? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

UIC no doubt if you're in-state. Peoria/Rockford would suck though.

same question as the original poster...but I am out of state?

what are your suggestions? UIC (Urbana track, Rockford) or Rosalind Franklin for an out of stater?

RFU if you're out of state. UIC if you're in state.

RFU is cheaper than UIC out-of-state. UIC's tuition is about 50k out-of-state.

bump..

how about prestige, clinical rotations, curriculum, match list? what's to total cost for all 4 years of rfu vs uic-peoria? is rfu really that much more expensive--i don't care about an extra 25-30K over the course of 4 years. i haven't received any financial statement from either school yet. thanks guys..about a month or so and i have a big decision!

UIC hands down. Both schools are good and you will get into a good residency if you do well on your boards. But you could save money as it is instate tuition.
Good luck!
DD

bump..

how about prestige, clinical rotations, curriculum, match list? what's to total cost for all 4 years of rfu vs uic-peoria? is rfu really that much more expensive--i don't care about an extra 25-30K over the course of 4 years. i haven't received any financial statement from either school yet. thanks guys..about a month or so and i have a big decision!

prestige...well university of illinois has an awesome reputation as an undergrad school and a lot of name recognition obviously translates to the medical school. neither are "top tier" but I think they have similiar curriculums. honestly, i would go with whichever is cheaper for you. I'm not too keen on Peoria or Rockford, Chicago and Urbana are better locations in my opinion. That might play into my decision as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc...the people who have said "if you're instate, UIC, if you're OOS, CMS at Rosalind Franklin", though they simplified it, are correct.

In-State--As a school, UIC beats rosalind franklin. You have the additional advantage of the best value you can really get as an Illinois resident from a medical school (just so Phoenix doesn't jump in here, Loyola's close). It's more prestigious and the Peoria track has a good record of getting high board scores.

Out of state--UIC is not worth $50,000 tuition for 10 months (and more when you're in school all year) unless it's your only acceptance. Very few schools are. You'd be paying ridiculous sums of money to study medicine in Peoria.

what about rockford? any better for an OOSer?

i'm at a dead even between the 2. Considering the crappy location of UIC UPR and the not so good reputation of RFU, not to mention UIC's OOS tution just isnt worth rockford IMO. :thumbdown:

I am in the same boat as well. If I get married, I could get OOS for 2-4 years @ UIC or should I say UIUC/UIR :p I might have to write a request to shift to the Chicago campus....

Rosalind Franklin's namesake is cooler.

I'm stuck in the same predicament as the original poster....I am strongly considering both schools. On the one hand, UIC is cheaper than Rosalind and has a better reputation. On the other hand, Rosalind is fairly close to Chicago, and students typically move down to the city after their second year for rotations. Its a tough decision....so is May 15th the deadline to choose between accepted schools?

If you grow up in big city, I would say go to Rosalind for sure, there are so much more people and resource in Chicago than in Peoria.

I would say Rosalind Frankin, unless their board score are way below the average.

I'm stuck in the same predicament as the original poster....I am strongly considering both schools. On the one hand, UIC is cheaper than Rosalind and has a better reputation. On the other hand, Rosalind is fairly close to Chicago, and students typically move down to the city after their second year for rotations. Its a tough decision....so is May 15th the deadline to choose between accepted schools?

If you grow up in big city, I would say go to Rosalind for sure, there are so much more people and resource in Chicago than in Peoria.

I would say Rosalind Frankin, unless their board score are way below the average.

board scores are good, very good if you adjust for average class MCAT. i take that to mean they prepare us very well. I probably would choose illinois chicago or champaign over rfu because of price but i wouldnt choose rockford or peoria over rfu.

You must give up all but one acceptance by May 15, but you may stay on any waitlists you're on.

Are you aware that you can arrange your electives anywhere within the four-campus UIC system, space permitting? You can also make your own arrangements at unrelated schools (though possibly you'd be needing to pay for malpractice insurance that covers you outside). You are not obliged to stay in Rockford or Peoria for fourth year rotations if one of them is your assigned campus.

I know quite a few friends studying in UIC. I think for the 4th year elective, you can. But you must stay in Rockford or Peoria during your 2nd and 3rd year.
So it's something you want to keep in mind.

You must give up all but one acceptance by May 15, but you may stay on any waitlists you're on.

Are you aware that you can arrange your electives anywhere within the four-campus UIC system, space permitting? You can also make your own arrangements at unrelated schools (though possibly you'd be needing to pay for malpractice insurance that covers you outside). You are not obliged to stay in Rockford or Peoria for fourth year rotations if one of them is your assigned campus.

Hey DocLove and everyone else in this situation, what are you guys leaning towards? This decision is very tough, and it helps to talk it through with other people.

RFU is an under-rated school, with well regarded graduates.

I am a faculty member of a "highly rated" North American school, and my daughter at RFU is receiving an exemplary medical education at RFU.

Ignore those rankings and decide which school is your better fit!

UIC no doubt if you're in-state. Peoria/Rockford would suck though.

Why do you say that "Peoria would suck" ? From all the research I've done, it looks pretty good.

anybody make their decision yet?

anybody make their decision yet?

i'm not sure if you noticed this yet, but this thread was started april of 2008 - the OP and other early posters have undoubtedly made their decisions already. if you can manage to get their attention, they should be able to give you a some good perspective because they are attending one of the schools you are considering.

that being said, my advice is similar to what others have posted. for in-staters, go to UIC (no matter what track you are given); for out-of-staters, go to UIC if you can get the chicago track and RFU otherwise.

if it helps anyone's decision in either direction, i'll almost certainly be at RFU this fall.:rolleyes:

I'm an M1 at UIC (UPR track). I'm headed to Peoria next year. Feel free to pm me with any questions regarding U of I urbana-champaign.

To answer the free housing at peoria. Its offered to students, but the program is not through the college of medicine.

From what I have seen, the apartments are pretty nice, but the rooms vary. Also, the availability of rooms varies depending on the # of people already in the apartments. However, from what I have heard, there is usually enough to accommodate the students at Peoria as long as you file the application early.

Also, if you are married, I believe you are out of luck with the free housing....but do not quote me on that. It's a federal program subsidized housing program.

In short, I've really enjoyed first year at UofI-Urbana-Champaign. Stressful, but the faculty/staff are accessible and EXTREMELY FRIENDLY. :thumbup:

Good luck on your decisions.:luck: