Rosalind Franklin vs University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.Harris713

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, needing quick help and insight here. I am committed to Cincinnati but was offered a waitlist position at RF and am really conflicted. I am hoping y'all can help me think of things I'm not considering. I have a support system in Chicago, and a long time boyfriend (six years, we've been doing distance for four, there's no job market for him in Cincinnati) I am hoping to practice/get residency in Chicago ultimately. Any insight is appreciated!

RF:

Pros:
close to support system
pass/fail
student's seem very relaxed and well balanced
want to match and eventually practice in the Chicago area

Cons:
launching new systems-based curriculum this year so would be a guinea pig
~20,000 more over the four years than Cincy
not many in-house research opportunities
no affiliated hospital system
unranked? not sure how much of a con this is

Cincy:

Pros:
great affiliated hospital system
ranked
research opportunities are abundant

Cons:
No established support system or ties to Cincinnati
Would need to reclassify as an Ohio resident
Boyfriend has no job market in Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Being away from your support system is hard, but I don't think I could be the guinea pig for a new class. RF wouldn't release any info about the curriculum in December before my Jan. interview so I cancelled it. Every school I interviewed at with a recent curriculum change says the first class just has a big headache going through it.

I don't thinking going to school in Ohio will stop you from matching in Chicago, it sounds like it is a better program than RF (but I havent read those match lists so I don't really know).

Im probably biased because I am going to Rosalind Franklin this year. But, it looks like RFU is more suited for you with your support system and you wanting to practice in Chicago definitely seals the deal. Almost every graduate from Chicago med ends up staying in Chicago so you will have a huge support system. They also match to great programs in Chicago. Additionally, the fact that they do not have an "affiliated hospital" is overrated and really untrue in my opinion. Their main affiliate is Advocate Health which I believe is the largest health system in Illinois with several great hospitals with well established residencies. They are also paired with a lot of other hospitals which you can do rotations at including the huge VA right next to campus (Lovell). I would say go to Chicago med.

Regarding the new curriculum, join the facebook page: Log into Facebook | Facebook There is some helpful info posted here and if you have any other questions, you can DM me!

Reactions: 1 user