Rosalind Franklin vs University of Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Java212

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wanted some outside opinions on this one. Got an acceptance to RF, and am waiting to hear back from a Toledo interview. I really liked the Toledo campus, and the price is a little more affordable (~80,000 cheaper over the 4 years). I think the match lists are pretty similar. However, RF is close to home, and close to Chicago, and I think doing rotations at Cook County would be AWESOME!:D Any thoughts on this would be great!

Also, I was offered a pretty lucrative research position in a stem cell lab which I am very interested in. Do people consider a deferral of admissions for one year to do research is a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, just wanted some outside opinions on this one. Got an acceptance to RF, and am waiting to hear back from a Toledo interview. I really liked the Toledo campus, and the price is a little more affordable (~80,000 cheaper over the 4 years). I think the match lists are pretty similar. However, RF is close to home, and close to Chicago, and I think doing rotations at Cook County would be AWESOME!:D Any thoughts on this would be great!

Also, I was offered a pretty lucrative research position in a stem cell lab which I am very interested in. Do people consider a deferral of admissions for one year to do research is a good idea?

if your end goal is to do research, then it might be a good idea. if you think you probably won't end up in research, it seems like it will just add another year to your already very long timeline. then again, if you're coming straight out of college, a year away from classes might be refreshing. and the $$$...

how did you like Toledo itself? i've never been there but i found North Chicago to be lacking in businesses and entertainment.

Pick whichever you like.... Don't get too excited about rotations at Cook County. Many of their residency programs are notorious for scut from what I hear. It might be ok as a student since you could get to do more, but I've heard some pretty dismal things about the place lately.

Cook County is a great place to rotate through as you actually get to do a whole bunch of procedures that you wouldn't be able to do elsewhere. Many students get to deliver babies, close after surgery, and many other things that wouldn't be near scut.