Rosalind Franklin vs Wayne State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vi0linm0nster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 upcoming interviews in the same week: Rosalind Franklin on Monday, Wayne State on Friday and my midterm for school is on Thursday. I was really banking on getting accepted to a better school this week bc I felt really good about my interview and app and truly believed I had a good chance of withdrawing from both of these... but ended up getting waitlisted, so now I need to attend these. Which means, I screwed up in scheduling as these are horrible dates to juggle with my midterm for that week, so now I'm trying to decide on one of them.

Rosalind Franklind: they seem to have REALLY REALLY good match lists for a non ranked school... what is up with this? Do they have a reputation around..? The interview date also just generally works better for my week and it's in a safer area than Detroit. However, post II acceptance rate is unknown.
Pro: good match list, close to chicago
Weakness: unranked, in suburban area

Would also like to learn more about Rosalind Franklin and my future if I go here (chances of matching to good residency in decent location)

Wayne State: school is actually ranked, has 70% post II acceptance which gives me a better shot, but it is the day right after my midterm and I would have to book a flight at night that arrives in detroit at 6am..
Pro: 70% post II rate, ranked school, middle of city
Con: detroit, too close to my midterm date

For context, I have total of 5 more schools I'm waiting to hear back from/waiting to interview.
EDIT: Have one acceptance; 5 more schools as in interviews already lined up

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you able to reschedule your midterm or perhaps even the interviews? I think taking the opportunity to go to both interviews would be in your best interest.

Also, I wouldn't say Detroit itself is a con? Detroit has been going through a revival in the past years. There's always plenty to do (TONS of great places to eat, more than you can imagine).

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't have an acceptance currently you need to plan on finding a way to attend both of these interviews. You may be able to reschedule one of them without too much difficulty assuming it's not like next week or something. You might also consider seeing if you can take your midterm on a different date if need be.

Re: your pros and cons lists - rankings don't really matter if you're at the Rosalind Franklin vs Wayne State level. Match lists also are basically uninterpretable unless you know the students in the class and what they were shooting for. So I would not take either of those things into consideration as potential deal-breakers. Detroit also is not that bad, it's basically like any other big Midwest city and there's tons to do in the area.
Are you able to reschedule your midterm or perhaps even the interviews? I think taking the opportunity to go to both interviews would be in your best interest.

Also, I wouldn't say Detroit itself is a con? Detroit has been going through a revival in the past years. There's always plenty to do (TONS of great places to eat, more than you can imagine).

I already have 1 acceptance, although not at an ideal choice school. It's just that I've been going on a lot of interviews already, starting to get sick of it, and if I have a good chance at getting in somewhere I already interviewed at that's better than both these schools, why waste the time, effort, and money? It's only the neurotic premed side of me that thinks I should attend at least one of the two

Members don't see this ad :)
I already have 1 acceptance, although not at an ideal choice school. It's just that I've been going on a lot of interviews already, starting to get sick of it, and if I have a good chance at getting in somewhere I already interviewed at that's better than both these schools, why waste the time, effort, and money? It's only the neurotic premed side of me that thinks I should attend at least one of the two

How do you describe “good chances at getting in somewhere I already interviewed at”? You were banking on being accepted today and you weren't. You might get off the WL but you never know. If you are not 100 percent certain that you will be happy at your current acceptance go to all of your interviews until you have an acceptance that makes you happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Exactly what candbgirl said. Also, you shouldn't completely rely on the idea that you'll get off the waitlist because you have speculations. I thought some of the schools I had a good chance to get into last cycle ended up waitlisting me and I never got off their waitlists. Luckily I got into my #1 choice but it ended up being my only MD acceptance.

Last edited:
How do you describe “good chances at getting in somewhere I already interviewed at”? You were banking on being accepted today and you weren't. You might get off the WL but you never know. If you are not 100 percent certain that you will be happy at your current acceptance go to all of your interviews until you have an acceptance that makes you happy.

Well this is exactly part of the dilemma... do I risk it or do I not? 5 is a lot of schools, and based solely on chances, it would be reasonable to assume I would get into at least 1 more of those 5? 3 of which in my home state and i would be SO happy to attend. The other 2 would be acceptable as well (better than the one I currently have an acceptance to). Obviously I wouldn't know for sure, and that is part of my dilemma

Well this is exactly part of the dilemma... do I risk it or do I not? 5 is a lot of schools, and based solely on chances, it would be reasonable to assume I would get into at least 1 more of those 5? 3 of which i would be SO happy to attend. The other 2 would be acceptable as well (better than the one I currently have an acceptance to). Obviously I wouldn't know for sure, and that is part of my dilemma

I mean... are you willing to risk it? If you're completely comfortable with the possibility of not getting into your ideal schools and being stuck with the acceptance you currently have, then you can pass on these two interviews.

Congrats on your current acceptance by the way! You're going to be a doctor regardless :)