Roseman (OOS; 3yr Program) vs. MWU-IL (OOS; 4yr Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooklyn99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am blessed to have been accepted into two dental schools this 2022-2023 cycle. Though I am currently still waiting on more interviews, I would appreciate any feedback in case these are my only acceptances.

I'm from NYC so both will be OOS tuition. I've visited both campuses, but only received official tours at MWU-IL after doing their in-person interview. Roseman had virtual interviews and I only visited their dental clinic as a "walk-in" tour during the summer.

School 1: Roseman (OOS) --- 3 YR PROGRAM Tuition: ~315K

PROS
- P/F at 90%: students seem less competitive bc of P/F, emphasis on collaboration and teamwork
- 3yr program: I'm saving $$$
- no speciality clinics: able to do more complex cases but not sure to what extent
- block curriculum
- early clinical experience: a current student told me they see patients starting first year
- beautiful mountains to snowboard!
- cost of living much cheaper than Illinois

CONS
- 3yr program: I'll be the first graduating 3yr class aka "guinea pig" phase. Not sure how this will work out and if clinical experience will be impacted. Missing 4th academic year will be fit in b/wn summers so I'm taking classes straight through
- South Jordan environment: big lifestyle adjustment for me. I'm aware there's a heavy Mormon community and am open-minded to moving anywhere, but would appreciate diversity in all aspects (people, food, things to do, etc)
- 1 dental building: unsure if they have other facilities offered
- rigor of program: read a couple forums of how Roseman's curriculum was lacking in comparison to boards exam??

School 2: MWU-IL (OOS) --- 4 YR PROGRAM Tuition: ~450-500K

PROS
- STRONG clinical experience & latest technology
- no specialty clinics: Chicago has a greater patient population density so more various cases to do
- Chicago: I've visited Chicago multiple times and their diversity is similar to NYC which I love
- HUGE modern campus
- Invisalign & laser certifications

CONS
- incrediblyyy expensive / latest technology: price tag that comes with this school is due to their facilities and high tech. It sounds wonderful to learn of all these machines in modern-day dentistry, but I'm unsure how practical it will put to use in real life private practices at the expense of tuition
- campus environment: students seem more cliquey
- cost of living

Thank you for reading through, this is an exciting time that also calls for big decisions! I appreciate all opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I am blessed to have been accepted into two dental schools this 2022-2023 cycle. Though I am currently still waiting on more interviews, I would appreciate any feedback in case these are my only acceptances.

I'm from NYC so both will be OOS tuition. I've visited both campuses, but only received official tours at MWU-IL after doing their in-person interview. Roseman had virtual interviews and I only visited their dental clinic as a "walk-in" tour during the summer.

School 1: Roseman (OOS) --- 3 YR PROGRAM Tuition: ~315K

PROS
- P/F at 90%: students seem less competitive bc of P/F, emphasis on collaboration and teamwork
- 3yr program: I'm saving $$$
- no speciality clinics: able to do more complex cases but not sure to what extent
- block curriculum
- early clinical experience: a current student told me they see patients starting first year
- beautiful mountains to snowboard!
- cost of living much cheaper than Illinois

CONS
- 3yr program: I'll be the first graduating 3yr class aka "guinea pig" phase. Not sure how this will work out and if clinical experience will be impacted. Missing 4th academic year will be fit in b/wn summers so I'm taking classes straight through
- South Jordan environment: big lifestyle adjustment for me. I'm aware there's a heavy Mormon community and am open-minded to moving anywhere, but would appreciate diversity in all aspects (people, food, things to do, etc)
- 1 dental building: unsure if they have other facilities offered
- rigor of program: read a couple forums of how Roseman's curriculum was lacking in comparison to boards exam??

School 2: MWU-IL (OOS) --- 4 YR PROGRAM Tuition: ~450-500K

PROS
- STRONG clinical experience & latest technology
- no specialty clinics: Chicago has a greater patient population density so more various cases to do
- Chicago: I've visited Chicago multiple times and their diversity is similar to NYC which I love
- HUGE modern campus
- Invisalign & laser certifications

CONS
- incrediblyyy expensive / latest technology: price tag that comes with this school is due to their facilities and high tech. It sounds wonderful to learn of all these machines in modern-day dentistry, but I'm unsure how practical it will put to use in real life private practices at the expense of tuition
- campus environment: students seem more cliquey
- cost of living

Thank you for reading through, this is an exciting time that also calls for big decisions! I appreciate all opinions!
I live near MWU. It’s located in a burb of Chicago, and about 40 mins away from the actual city itself. Traffic can be a real nightmare getting into the city. Just a heads up.