Roseman University of Health Sciences - 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone explain about student pharmacy internships and how exactly do they differ from a regular school required rotation?

The main difference is getting paid or not. You get paid if you work as a pharmacy intern outside of your regular required school rotations whereas you don't get paid for the ones done with your school. As far as what you actually do while working as a pharmacy intern totally depends on where you are working or doing a rotation. Some places you just do what a pharmacy technician does and other places you are more involved in counseling patients and checking orders.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

The main difference is getting paid or not. You get paid if you work as a pharmacy intern outside of your regular required school rotations whereas you don't get paid for the ones done with your school. As far as what you actually do while working as a pharmacy intern totally depends on where you are working or doing a rotation. Some places you just do what a pharmacy technician does and other places you are more involved in counseling patients and checking orders.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it does help very much. Thank you pong champ.

Has ANYone heard from the school yet? I interviewed 11/7 as well, still waiting to hear. I know they are busy, but didn't Dr. DeYoung say they would let us know in about 2 weeks?

As I recall, only a small percentage of candidates will receive an early acceptance. The remainder might have to wait as long as May 2012.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I recall, only a small percentage of candidates will receive an early acceptance. The remainder might have to wait as long as May 2012.
Right, I recall that. But I was under the impression that they would at least let us know if accepted, waitlisted, or even rejected within a reasonable amount of time. I'm just impatient, I suppose.

Maybe the people that received the early acceptance should clue us in to what's happening.. and much congratulation to them! I think I speak for all that it shouldn't be this late since the interview that no one has heard anything from the school. I understand that we're in the holiday season, but a phone call shouldn't take too long to do doesn't matter how busy you are - unless no one is accepted early. Now that is one heck of a news!!! Nevertheless, good luck to all and please clue us in to your joy =)

Right, I recall that. But I was under the impression that they would at least let us know if accepted, waitlisted, or even rejected within a reasonable amount of time. I'm just impatient, I suppose.

This is going by what others have stated already. We may not get any indication until a few weeks before the school sessionbegins.

I was one ofthe last people to get in...I interviewed in Nov and didn't get in until 2weeks before orientation. Don't give up hope!!

- After the interview, you might get an answerin a pretty short period of time if they really like you. If not, it might takea month or even longer. I know many people who got accepted pretty late in thegame, and I remember one person from last year's thread waiting for months andmonths after an early interview date before finally getting in.

Last year, I attended the Nov.interview and got accepted the following April. It varies from person toperson, but the soonest is within a week or so.

Just received a call from Dr. Deyoung. I'm thrilled to have been accepted at Henderson campus. :)

Got my call too. Will be attending the Henderson campus.

Congratulation, you can finally change your screen name now. :oops:

So less than five candidates received the early acceptance, wow it is competitive! GL to all...

Just Curious, FactionG and others who got accepted already- What are your stats? GPA? PCAT? BS or not? Pharm exp?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulation, you can finally change your screen name now. :oops:

So less than five candidates received the early acceptance, wow it is competitive! GL to all...

There could easily be a lot more accepted who are not using SDN. I only know of a handful of people in my class who used SDN.

Congrats to all accepted so far. Hope to see you next year!

Just Curious, FactionG and others who got accepted already- What are your stats? GPA? PCAT? BS or not? Pharm exp?

Cum GPA: 3.53
Prereq: 3.4
PCAT: 83
Bachelor in Biology with a minor in Chemistry.
No real pharmacy experience just volunteering at a hospital and lab experience.

Edit: Also Dr. DeYoung said more spots would open up as they conducted more interviews. So even if they only take a few now as soon as the January interviews roll around they'll take a bigger number I believe. At least that's what it sounded like during the interview day.

Cum GPA: 3.53
Prereq: 3.4
PCAT: 83
Bachelor in Biology with a minor in Chemistry.
No real pharmacy experience just volunteering at a hospital and lab experience.

Edit: Also Dr. DeYoung said more spots would open up as they conducted more interviews. So even if they only take a few now as soon as the January interviews roll around they'll take a bigger number I believe. At least that's what it sounded like during the interview day.

Great stats and congratulation again; it seems like they weigh the PCAT/interview heavily because I'm quite sure that many applicants have competitive GPA of 3.5 and above if not ridiculously high, and others who have multiple degrees and vast healthcare experience. I wonder how they put all these points together and rank the applicants. Is it really that black and white in terms of the point system? If it is then how important were the personal statement questions? No two applicants are alike when considering what they have to go through to earn those grades - talking about overcoming personal obstacles and the limited time available devoting to study and/or work to support one's family and paying undergraduate loans. The waiting is just nerve-wrecking!!!

How was the conversation with Dr. DeYoung like when he offered you the acceptance over the phone?

Congratulation to all who got accepted and good luck to all who are still waiting! :luck:

Just thought that I would throw this out there to those that are so worried about stats....

Numbers help you get the interview, but have nothing to do with you getting into the program. The interview is to see how your communication skills are, how you react to tough questions on the spot, how well you would work with others, what kind of personality you have, what your attitude is like overall.

I know people that have amazing numbers, but didnt get in because they dont know how to deal with people. Likewise, i know people with "mediocre" numbers that are in my class, but are some of the best students and people that i definately would want as my pharmacist in the future.

Just thought that I would throw this out there to those that are so worried about stats....

Numbers help you get the interview, but have nothing to do with you getting into the program. The interview is to see how your communication skills are, how you react to tough questions on the spot, how well you would work with others, what kind of personality you have, what your attitude is like overall.

I know people that have amazing numbers, but didnt get in because they dont know how to deal with people. Likewise, i know people with "mediocre" numbers that are in my class, but are some of the best students and people that i definately would want as my pharmacist in the future.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Thanks for being truth and honest, but how much do you really know a person given only 15 or 20 minutes? You work so hard throughout your life for that 15 minutes of spotlight to be judged by a professor and a student who maybe his/her first time ever to interview anybody, and in the process has the power to change their destiny (no hard feeling). I know most other professional schools use a panel of faculty members/administrators and one student to interview students. I know that interview is important, but with Roseman it can depends on many factors i.e. a professor came late to the interview leaving the inexperienced p1 student to interview the candidate, and only to show up for a quick 5 minutes q&a - not to say it was my case. I overheard someone was having this problem during the interview day; it could be a good thing or bad thing - who knows! :rolleyes:

Dr. DeYoung made the phone conversation fun haha. He's such a nice person. Also I get what you're saying about the interviewers, but the whole varying interview is at every school. The interviewers themselves aren't the same for each and every person. I did appreciate though that the interviewers at Roseman acknowledge that the career field is changing and has some obstacles unlike other schools who try to act as if everything was the way it was.

Hope that helps.

Hi I have a question about Roseman. I am in choosing among 3 pharm schools now, and one of them is Roseman.

For Roseman's 3rd year clinical rotation, can P3 students do APPE in California? (I live in So Cal) or all P3 need to stay in Nevada or Utah?

Thanks for answering my question!
:

Hi I have a question about Roseman. I am in choosing among 3 pharm schools now, and one of them is Roseman.

For Roseman's 3rd year clinical rotation, can P3 students do APPE in California? (I live in So Cal) or all P3 need to stay in Nevada or Utah?

Thanks for answering my question!
:

You can do your third year rotations anywhere in the Unites States. There are already a handful of established P3 rotations in California as many students are from there but you can also setup your own rotations if the ones offered don't interest you.

Absolutely correct statement. The board of trustees will only let Dr. DeYoung accept a certain amount of students after each interview period. As each interview date passes the number he accepts gets much larger. I wouldn't worry too much if you don't get accepted after the first interview date as there are many more interviews still to be completed.

Has anyone received e-mails for upcoming interview dates? Or do you think they will wait now until the application closes.

Has anyone received e-mails for upcoming interview dates? Or do you think they will wait now until the application closes.

Yes, three dates were offered initially.

Edit: But, those are the only ones I was aware of.

Last edited:
I am interviewing in January but saw a post about there not being any more interview dates after the 24th one, does anyone know if that is accurate?

I was called by Dr. DeYoung yesterday as well. My GPA is a 3.8, Math Science GPA is a 3.6, PCAT 67, I graduate with a nutrition science degree in December and I don't have any real pharmacy experience but I have a ton of volunteer experience within the dietetics field.

I am interviewing in January but saw a post about there not being any more interview dates after the 24th one, does anyone know if that is accurate?

There should be at least 8 more interview dates total. Two in January, two in February and four in March. There will be at least 4 dates at each campus.

You can do your third year rotations anywhere in the Unites States. There are already a handful of established P3 rotations in California as many students are from there but you can also setup your own rotations if the ones offered don't interest you.

Thank you for your information. Also, when do you suggest to start to look for housing? And which area is cheaper Henderson or LV?

Thanks agian!

Thank you for your information. Also, when do you suggest to start to look for housing? And which area is cheaper Henderson or LV?

Thanks agian!

I'm at the South Jordan campus so I'll have to defer to someone at the Henderson campus for that. Most students start looking during the summer before they start though.

Congrats to those who were offered an early acceptance. Are any of you "non-resident" applicants? I was wondering how much the new criteria changed the admission process. My gut feeling is that it really doesn't do much.

Thanks agian!

If you are looking for a place to rent there are a ton of options. The Henderson area can be a bit higher than living in Las Vegas.

I know someone who is looking for a roommate at a fair rate who lives about 15 minutes from campus. I think they need someone sooner than next August, but if there is an interest I can certainly pass on the information.

Is anyone get an interview for Jan interview yet?

Dr. DeYoung made the phone conversation fun haha. He's such a nice person.

I also consider Dr. DeYoung to be amazingly pleasant and very helpful. Most everyone I met from the school were nice people in general. I felt right at home with my interviewers. I knew leaving the interview that Roseman is where I want to attend regardless of what other schools were to accept me.

Edit:
Roseman is awesome. :D

Last edited:
I also consider Dr. DeYoung to be amazingly pleasant and very helpful. Most everyone I met from the school were nice people in general. I felt right at home with my interviewers. I knew leaving the interview that Roseman is where I want to attend regardless of what other schools were to accept me.

Edit:
Roseman is awesome. :D

More specifically, what was it about the school that you liked?

More specifically, what was it about the school that you liked?

The atmosphere seems helpful and friendly. As hard as the program is made out to be, the people that work there appear to really want to help everyone succeed. The right attitude makes a difference. The people I met that work there have the right attitude.

I just thought I would add, for those who have not yet interviewed: don't assume the interviewers have read your essays or application at all. I interviewed 11/7 and I had assumed (being told by a P3 who is a friend) that they would at least quickly glance over my essays and ask me some questions related to those. They did NOT, and therefore I felt as though I didn't get a chance to say everything I wanted, because I quite honestly thought they'd ask me. Roseman just happened to be my first interview, and although I had prepared, I was unprepared for the interviewers to know nothing at all about me. At any rate, if there are particular things about yourself that you want to make sure are known, you will likely need to volunteer that information. Don't assume they'll ask you. With that in mind, I knew what I needed to do for an interview at another school.

I just thought this may be helpful info for some.

I just thought I would add, for those who have not yet interviewed: don't assume the interviewers have read your essays or application at all. I interviewed 11/7 and I had assumed (being told by a P3 who is a friend) that they would at least quickly glance over my essays and ask me some questions related to those. They did NOT, and therefore I felt as though I didn't get a chance to say everything I wanted, because I quite honestly thought they'd ask me. Roseman just happened to be my first interview, and although I had prepared, I was unprepared for the interviewers to know nothing at all about me. At any rate, if there are particular things about yourself that you want to make sure are known, you will likely need to volunteer that information. Don't assume they'll ask you. With that in mind, I knew what I needed to do for an interview at another school.

I just thought this may be helpful info for some.

Very helpful thanks a lot! I interview here on January 24th. I interviewed in Colorado and that was a closed file interview. I was thinking that Roseman interview would be different since it is open file but I guess not

Very helpful thanks a lot! I interview here on January 24th. I interviewed in Colorado and that was a closed file interview. I was thinking that Roseman interview would be different since it is open file but I guess not
You're welcome, it may have been open file but I'm pretty sure they didn't read mine. The faculty interviewer seemed harried and rushed, when I got there for the interview, she was on the phone. The student interviewer and I had to wait outside her office for several minutes. Then, during the interview, her cell phone kept going off! At any rate, she was nice, but be prepared for anything. Haha!

You're welcome, it may have been open file but I'm pretty sure they didn't read mine. The faculty interviewer seemed harried and rushed, when I got there for the interview, she was on the phone. The student interviewer and I had to wait outside her office for several minutes. Then, during the interview, her cell phone kept going off! At any rate, she was nice, but be prepared for anything. Haha!

The people participating in your interview are encouraged to review your application in case there is anything that peaks their interest and ask you follow up questions about them if necessary. Unfortuanately that doesn't always happen. I would say it's important for you to keep a copy of your application and review your essay questions so that you aren't caught off guard if they ask you follow up questions about it. When I've interviewed candidates in the past, we always started the interview by asking the candidate to tell us something about themselves. We also ask the candidate if you have any questions or if they want to add anything at the end of the interview. That's what we did but I guess the interview experience can vary greatly depending on the interviewing team.

The people participating in your interview are encouraged to review your application in case there is anything that peaks their interest and ask you follow up questions about them if necessary. Unfortuanately that doesn't always happen. I would say it's important for you to keep a copy of your application and review your essay questions so that you aren't caught off guard if they ask you follow up questions about it. When I've interviewed candidates in the past, we always started the interview by asking the candidate to tell us something about themselves. We also ask the candidate if you have any questions or if they want to add anything at the end of the interview. That's what we did but I guess the interview experience can vary greatly depending on the interviewing team.

Hi Pong Champ,

I have another question. For P3 year, will it be totally out of campus? Do you still come back to South Jordan or Henderson during semesters?

Thank you!

Hi Pong Champ,

I have another question. For P3 year, will it be totally out of campus? Do you still come back to South Jordan or Henderson during semesters?

Thank you!

Yes, for your P3 year you are completely off campus (unless of course you have to remediate some material) doing rotations at various sites in the community. You do come back for what they call a 'capstone' course which is the two weeks prior to graduation where you go through and review all the major concepts and prepare to take the NAPLEX.

For any current students that might look at this thread, what would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of the school? I'm narrowing this and both midwestern schools as my top choice.

The Dec 5th deadline has passed. I wonder how many applications were submitted this year.

Interviewed on 11/7, and got a call from Dr. DeYoung on 11/29.
I am thrilled to be accepted, but haven't gotten a chance to post here.

Cum GPA: 3.56
Cum Sci. GPA: 3.55
PCAT Comp: 65
BS from UCLA
2 years of community pharmacy experience

My stats are pretty average, and my PCAT is pretty low.
I was accepted, so don't worry and just be yourself... that would be my advice.

Interviewed on 11/7, and got a call from Dr. DeYoung on 11/29.
I am thrilled to be accepted, but haven't gotten a chance to post here.

Cum GPA: 3.56
Cum Sci. GPA: 3.55
PCAT Comp: 65
BS from UCLA
2 years of community pharmacy experience

My stats are pretty average, and my PCAT is pretty low.
I was accepted, so don't worry and just be yourself... that would be my advice.

Congratulation! I wonder if you were the one I talked to after the interview in the parking lot?

Does anyone know if students from India/"minority" students get a special break on acceptances?

My PCAT (overall) is under 30% and I only got 40% on science sections, but I was called in for an interview.

The word is out that if you are Indian, they will accept you, no matter what your scores.

Last edited:
The Dec 5th deadline has passed. I wonder how many applications were submitted this year.

I wonder this myself. I wonder if the school changing its name has any effect on the number of applicants this year.

Does anyone know if students from India/"minority" students get a special break on acceptances?

My PCAT (overall) is under 30% and I only got 40% on science sections, but I was called in for an interview.

The word is out that if you are Indian, they will accept you, no matter what your scores.

Indian people are not the minority, by far, in the field of pharmacy. I don't think the University blindly accepts anyone.